The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Pedal Change
Noah Fickel

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 3:45 pm    

I recently got my guitar all set up by a professional- he did an amazing job and showed me all the ins and outs about how everything works. When I got home and started really playing it, I realized that I have to push my foot down quite a long way to do a full change on the A pedal. I'd basically like to adjust it so that I don't have to push my foot down so far. What's my move to see that I can get this done? I like the height that the pedal is resting at, but I just want to change the distance the pedal has to move and make it shorter.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 4:57 pm    

Move the pull rod to a hole further from the cross shaft on the bell crank, or move the changer end of the pull rod closer to the changer axle.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 10:56 pm    

If there is more than one change on the pedal/knee lever in question- move them all the same distance up or down the bellcrank(s) and know that it will take more pressure to activate the pedal if the throw is shorter.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 5:59 am     Re: A Pedal Change

I totally encourage you to work on your steel and learn the nuances of this stuff -- length of throw, amount of resistance of the throw, and timing of the throws, among other things. But be sure to think everything out before you start (and document where everything is at -- what changer hole, what bellcrank hole everything is in.

Be aware: Everything affects everything. If changing the A pedal rod bellcrank hole means that you have to move the C pedal rod on string 5, is it throwing of the C pedal sync of strings 4 & 5? If you have to move rods on string 4 (to regain sync), did you have to move the F lever rod and have you affected the F lever sync between strings 4 & 8?

So have a 'big mind' as you work on your guitar -- sometimes you can nail things down exactly as you want them and sometimes you have to choose which characteristic is more important to you.
Sometimes you set off a chain reaction of adjustments and come out with near perfection in the end and sometimes you have to backtrack to undo unforeseen consequences.

But I repeat -- go for it and enjoy learning this stuff!

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 12:34 pm    

Some steels have more than one position to attach the pedal rod to the pedal. If you can, move it further out from the pedal bar. This is by far the most simple change and will not affect any tuning just shorten the pedal travel. but….That said you may find the pedal in the down pedal is not level with the adjacent pedal which is not good, thereby setting up other changes to rectify.

Noah Fickel

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 12:51 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
If there is more than one change on the pedal/knee lever in question- move them all the same distance up or down the bellcrank(s) and know that it will take more pressure to activate the pedal if the throw is shorter.

Thanks Jim, you actually worked on my Mullen Discovery last Tuesday. Plays amazing now, thanks so much for the help. Got home and started playing a little more and realized I was bending my ankle a little too far for my comfort. Moved both those pull rods like you suggested/showed me how to do and it plays like a dream. Thanks so much.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 7:50 pm    

Terrific!