The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Labs Travis Toy 15 200-watt Combo Amp Mini Review
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 5:01 pm    

Just got a Quilter Labs Travis Toy 15 200-watt combo amp. Here are my impressions after a few days of playing through it. I included a few pictures and some initial sound samples and a later recording after I tried out a bunch of setup changes. There's a picture of my latest Tone Block 202 settings (YMMV).

TT15 combo amp review

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 8:11 pm    

Thanks for the review Greg, I just got a Quilter TT12 and it sounds a lot like my NV400 with a TT15 but it is 12 lbs lighter and has a good reverb too.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2023 3:07 am    

Great review Greg. Amp sounds very good as you have it.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2023 8:10 am    

Appreciate your efforts Greg…always an in-depth review. Adding the various sound samples and photos is superb 👍. I concur with the enhanced tone with the speaker up off the floor. Top shelf looking rig/setup….Thanks again, Carl

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 7:07 pm    

I forgot that I had built an Allen Encore amp kit with a Travis Toy TT12 12" 8 ohm speaker. As shown below I dragged the Encore out and hooked it up to the Tone Block 202 and recorded it with the same amp placement, mic location and Tone Block settings. Yeah the speaker is not mounted in a Quilter Dock but both units are open back. I was surprised to hear that the tone in the mid and upper ranges was almost identical to the 15" TT speaker! The 15" has a big advantage only in the very lowest bass notes. Other than that I'd have no preference between these two speakers. I don't really care for the TT12 in the Encore amp with my Tele's so I'm replacing that with an Eminence Cannabis Rex Hemp Patriot 12" speaker. I recorded a few sound samples with this setup:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Quilter%20Labs%20Travis%20Toy%2015%20200-watt%20Combo%20Amp/TT12%20Sound%20Sample%201.mp3

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Quilter%20Labs%20Travis%20Toy%2015%20200-watt%20Combo%20Amp/TT12%20Sound%20Sample%202.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 4:36 am    

With the advantage of the 15” being the very low notes, I guess it’s safe to assume that for us E9 only players, the 12” would be a great option.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 6:02 am    

I was happy with the C6th low end response of the TT12 speaker mounted in the Quilter Blockdock 12 enclosure. I used it with a D10 Franklin with L710 pickups and with a D-10 GFI Ultra with L710 pickups.

I was a must have 15" speakers until I got the TT12 combo amp.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 7:19 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I was happy with the C6th low end response of the TT12 speaker mounted in the Quilter Blockdock 12 enclosure. I used it with a D10 Franklin with L710 pickups and with a D-10 GFI Ultra with L710 pickups.

I was a must have 15" speakers until I got the TT12 combo amp.

I was a 15" speaker guy until I got the TT12 combo. I now prefer the TT12 over any of my 15" speakers, including the TT15.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 8:52 am    

The TT12 is a great option for E9th players.

When I increased the amp's bass control for more bass on the boo-wah notes on the TT12 it did mess up the higher pitched notes. I'm sure a multi-band EQ would get the sound of the TT12 and TT15 pretty close in the lower range without messing up the lower mid range.

I think the big deal is that these are pretty amazing speakers and the first light weight ones I've tried that don't sacrifice anything for pedal steel sound.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 10:25 am    

The speaker enclosure makes a difference in speaker response. If you had the Quilter Blockdock 12 to house the TT12 it probably would have had a bearing on the results.

I posted this in another thread; I bought a used Nashville 112 that had a Telonics TSNEO 12 speaker. I had a TT12 speaker mounted in a homemade speaker cabinet. I wanted to compare speakers in the NV112. I removed the Telonics and installed the TT12 in the NV112. Response, the Telonics won in the NV112 as it had smoother highs and a little more lows. Conversely with the TT12 combo amp I again compared the Telonics mpunted in the Blockdock 12 and TT12 mounted in the Blockdock 12 and the TT12 won with smoother highs and more lows. The TT12 speaker had better overall response than the one I had in the homemade enclosure, it was like the Blockdock was made for the TT12 speaker (it wasn't).

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 10:30 am    

I agree Jack!

One way to go now that I have a spare TT12 speaker:

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/blockdock-12-empty-cab/

Quilter sells these direct with $1.99 (!!!!!). shipping to my zip code.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 11:10 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
I agree Jack!

One way to go now that I have a spare TT12 speaker:

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/blockdock-12-empty-cab/

Quilter sells these direct with $1.99 (!!!!!). shipping to my zip code.

Thats what I did when I had an extra TT15... I ordered an empty Quilter Cab from Tommy Detamore... Easy Peasy

An observation that I've had is that those folks who try to put the TT in a homebuilt or other cabinet never seem to be as happy as those who just get the Quilter Cabs with TT to go with the 202 Toneblock... At least thats how I've seen things.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 12:49 pm    

Thanks to all commentors. This is the type of posting I like to see.....
It teaches you something, and I have a lot to learn. Now when I get the money I'll know what to buy.

Sam

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 12:51 pm    

I just wish I could sound like Big Jim Murphy did with his Sho-Bud guitar played through a Webb 6-14-E amp.
Is there a Quilter amp setting that will give me that or is it something related to technique and talent? (lol). Of course that was back when you actually heard a steel player's sound coming from an actual amp long before everything was mic'd and sent through a PA system.

The last two country shows I attended were Vince Gill and Ricky Skaggs and both had world class steel players in smaller venues. I couldn't hear a note out of either steel and in fact the players remarked that they couldn't hear themselves play!

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 8:32 am    

Greg,

Thanks for posting the review and sound clips. Have been looking at Quilter amps for some time but never had the chance to actually hear one.

Have you ever tried the Aviator Cub? If so how does it compare to the TT12 / TT15?

Thanks,
Robert

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 6:18 pm    

I have not tried the Aviator Cub amp. I do most of my playing and recording with a Fractal Axe and soon with the new ToneX pedal. Through the headphones and in the studio I get identical tone no matter what venue I set up in. The TT15 is so good though so far that I've started to use a real amp a bit more.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 8:53 am    

Greg, you mentioned the Webb in this thread. Do you consider the Quilter to be equal in tone to the Webb. Also the Quilter website shows the empty cab at $449.00. Was that a typo on your part of 199.00?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 9:58 am    

It's $499 but he shipping is $1.99!

I believe the Quilter is a good replacement for the most awesome Webb amp. The Webb with the original reverb tank maybe has a slight edge in sustain. It's hard to beat the stunning visual appearance of the Webb 6-14-E though.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 10:29 am    

Greg that's what I wanted to know. Of course the Quilter is lighter than the Webb.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 11:50 am    

I also have a new Quilter TT-15. Used it on stage for the first time 2 weeks ago.

I was pleased beyond words. Great sounding amp... and much more bass response than the Steelaire. I went from the low Z direct out into the house PA, and used the amp for my monitor...

Even the sound guy commented on the great tone of this new amp!

Now, I've used other great amps (over the years). like the Session 500, and Webb-6-14-E... and no, this is not a huge transformer older power amp like those... but boy howdy does it get the job done, IMHO. Much easier on the back as well Smile

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 12:40 pm    

The Webb 6-14-E always sounded as good in the far field as it did close up. Yesterday I was able to hear my TT-15 while someone else played through it and it sounded as good across the room and in the next room as it did up close. Still using it up on a chair which seems to tighten up the bass response.

Good to hear of your success David. My testing is in such a limited environment.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 7:16 pm    

Oh my heavens.... Greg... this forum owes you sooooo much for your years of trying out new tech, and writing up your results!

Personally, my hat is off to you sir..... long may you wave, and many thanks.

Now, just a quick word about Pat Quilter, and his entry into the "small" world of PSG players....

Way back in 2013 0r 2014, I forget now... I noticed the big guys for us PSG players, namely Fender and Peavey... were kinda delinquent in bringing out a new competitive steel guitar amp. That's about the time I stumbled on the new "Steelaire" amp. I liked what I read, and ordered a early model of that amp.... still got it, 'cause once I learned how to bring out the lower register at stage volume... well it became a real work horse...

My success with the early "Steelaire" was exactly why I didn't hesitate to order a TT-15 from Quilter.... and I don't think I am alone.

Bottom line, lot's of sonic research into the speaker/enclosure and the SS amp.... I think we will see this amp become a standard (at least for SS folks).

10 years from now, who knows, could be a brand new company that offers the next great amp? But for now, at least I got a great stage amp.
IMHO Smile

Many thanks again Greg for all the years of dedication!

Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2024 9:17 am     quilter amp

what are some of the settings you fella's use.....thanks in advance ...dean