The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alabama Pickers
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 9:05 am    

I have relocated to the Oneonta Area and interested to go see or hear any bands or players within a 75 mile radius of there. Don't know of any clubs or dance halls etc. that would have musicians playing, thanks!!

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 9:37 am    

Mike,click on "members" at the top of the page.You can search the members for people by location.Hope this helps you.

Andy,to the west of you

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 10:26 am    

Thanks Andy..I did know that, what I was interested in was "where" people are playing..ie: clubs etc. not who plays but thanks for your help...Mike

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 12:07 pm    

Sorry about that Mike.I live in a steel guitar desert.There is no place close to me where I can hear live steel.There were several good steel players in my town or close by,but sadly they're all gone on to their rewards.I'm the only one left and I'm just a hack.I don't play much anymore,but I plan to get back into it soon.At the present,I have to be satisfied playing banjo in a gospel band.

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 1:00 pm     Alabama steel

Mike. Sent you a message

Mike

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 1:59 pm    

Andy; no worries!.. you meant well and it’s appreciated. I’m in the middle of nowhere also but I’ll trade a great environment for the odd inconvenience. Hack away brother and so will I!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 8:07 pm    

Let’s try this one more time, surely there are bars, VFW halls etc. in middle Alabama with country bands that have steel guitar players that I could go check out?…Birmingham, Huntsville,Cullman, Gadsden..etc. let me know if so, thanks!

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 6:31 am     Mike

As stated your welcome to come to Tuscaloosa and play with my band. you have my phone # . you're always WELCOM.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2023 6:52 am    

Hi Leon; so sorry for my delay in doing so but work and renovations took over my life the last few months… you’re first on my list in the new year.. I was going to call you … Happy Holidays and thank you so much for the invitation!

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 2:20 pm    

The Red Barn just off Hwy 278 has a dance and live music every Saturday night. Hwy 75N to Hwy 278 turn Left about 5 or 6 miles on the Right. The fokes there can tell you every place around that has music.

Barry

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 2:24 pm    

Ironic you should mention The Red Barn;…
I have been the steel guitarist there since September of this year and it’s fun… I’ve just been looking for other places also. Anyone interested in coming to The Red Barn please introduce yourself if you don’t mind, …Thanks Barry

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2023 7:12 pm    

Mike is a good one!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 3:00 pm    

Thank you Ron; the feeling is mutual!.. regarding the “Red Barn” I was informed by the owner the building is up for sale ( possibly the business also ) so apparently we only have the 4 remaining Saturdays in January to perform there should anyone be interested to come by. It’s an all ages non alcohol dance from 7:00 pm to 10:30 pm with two 50/50 cash raffles. Check it out if so inclined!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2024 8:30 am    

I made it to The Fireman’s Lodge In Tuscaloosa and had a great evening of playing with Leon’s band there, anyone near there should go so you can listen to them play all kinds of standards you just don’t find anywhere else these days and the atmosphere is super friendly! Tuesday’s from 6:30 to 9:00 pm.
Take it away Leon!!

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2024 8:48 am     ALA Pickers

Mike the band and I really enjoyed your playing, it was good to see you agin after 20 years, LOOKING FORWARD to you coming back in a couple of weeks . Hay guys Mike is a great picker.

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2024 8:52 am     ALA Pickers

Mike the band and I really enjoyed your playing, it was good to see you agin after 20 years, LOOKING FORWARD to you coming back in a couple of weeks hey guys Mike is a great picker.

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 6:18 pm     Mike and Leon

Mike and Leon.
I’ll be playing over in Red Hill this Saturday night. Come on over and say howdy

Mike
Wetumpka

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 6:21 pm    

Thanks for the invitation Mike, I’m booked at The Red Barn for the next 3 Saturdays so unfortunately will miss you in Red Hill.

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 8:02 am     Red Hill

Thanks Mike , Saturday night I'LL be at the Tannehill Opry with Kenny Tidmore.

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 5:28 pm    

Glad to hear you guys are playing too! Have a good gig! We play the second Saturday of the month. Come when you can
Mike

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 3:56 pm    

T.T.T….

Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 8:05 pm     ALa pickers

Mike the post I started , the headline says Mike Holder.

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 1:48 pm     Alabama pickers

Gents. I’ll be over at red hill 9 March. We start at 630. Come over and say hello

Mike
Wetumpka