The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  restoring old tone bars
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 11:56 am    

I have an old Ernie Ball tone bar that I acquired about 20 years ago and haven't used in ages. The finish has become rather mat-like and makes a grinding friction on the strings.

Nort sure what exact material it is. I applied some 'silvo' polish a couple times and the finish to touch now feels the same as my dunlop bars, which is good, but it still doesn't have that smoothness to it and still grinds somewhat on the strings.

Any way to get this thing polished up to a functional condition?
Not urgent, tips appreciated.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 7:14 pm    

I believe they are chrome finished so I doubt you can do much with it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2024 7:23 pm    

Ernie Ball made both chrome-plated bars and stainless bars. I'm not sure which you have, but it's probably the chrome. You could try polishing first with 2000 or 3000 grit wet-or-dry paper, and then use the metal polish. You'll only need one sheet to wet sand it, and it should cost around $1-$2 per sheet at an auto supply store. Chrome plating is very hard and thin, though, so be aware it might not work, depending on how bad the finish is degraded.

Aaron Seither

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 4:31 am    

Perhaps a stupid question, but it’s asked in genuine ignorance…can these not be re-plated?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 6:09 am    

Aaron Seither wrote:
Perhaps a stupid question, but it’s asked in genuine ignorance…can these not be re-plated?

Too expensive. The amount of work to strip the chrome off, re-polish, and re-plate would probably exceed the cost of buying a new really good bar, like a BJS. Ernie Balls and Dunlops wouldn't be worth it to re-plate. In the late 70's, I was the scheduler at a plating company, and our minimum charge was $55.00. Adding stripping and polishing would drive that up.

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 4:21 pm    

My first bar was an Ernie Ball and after a couple of years, I could feel grooves in it when I’d put a cloth on it and turn in my fingers. Weird thing was, the grooves were longways. Needless to say, it buzzed and didn’t sound good. I threw it in the trash after buying a BJS.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 11:14 am    

Well this is illuminating.
I used that EB bar with no issues for ages before it starting getting dull and problematic. Using a Dunlop 7/8 now, and its fine. Been several years of daily use with it recording / gigging/ woodshedding.
I've never felt the need to go 'high end' . If my tools work they work. But I may have to rethink this one... Wink

Thanks for the replies.