The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Walker Stereo Steel amp
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 3:52 pm    

I just acquired one of these amps. I haven’t even fired it up yet but probably will tonight. Are many players still using them? I hear they are, or were considered state of the art,
300 watts, 2 x 15” JBLs I think…seems like a lot! Do they work ok if you just run one speaker?

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 29 Jan 2023 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 4:39 pm    

Many still use walker amps as their preferred equipment, including myself. They are great sounding dependable equipment and it is perfectly fine to run just one speaker rather than two. 🙂

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 4:44 pm    

Dave - yes, you can run just one speaker ho problem, just turn the volume for that channel all the way down.

Here's some basic info on them I've gotten from GD or other sources:

It's my favorite amp for steel, but a bit of a nuisance here in the 220V world as I have to haul a large, heavy transformer around with the amp.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 7:25 pm    

I just fired it up for a few minutes with an old Fender lap steel...first reaction is that it sounds amazing. The controls are real responsive. I couldn't get the Digitech Studio to work, I need to read up. I've never used rack mount processors before..I can see myself taking this out on gigs!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 8:01 pm    

I have one with 2 JBL speakers. I have used processors with the unit but prefer to use my small pedal board right into the input as I use other amps also with the pedal board.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 8:24 pm    

Dave - I think you just don’t have enough amps. Winking

I have seen your occasional stage mate, the legendary Bobby Black play through a Walker quite a few times over the years. I think that would qualify it as being worthy.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 8:43 pm    

Quote:
I have seen your occasional stage mate, the legendary Bobby Black play through a Walker quite a few times over the years. I think that would qualify it as being worthy.

Guess who I got it from! 😉

The first time I heard Jon Mitgard he was using one as well…it sounded great with his great playing!

There’s a Walker Stereo rig on Craigslist in Petaluma right now for $500. Comes with a pair of BW speakers, possibly one is blown

Dz

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 4:20 pm    

I used the Walker SS amp on a gig last night with only one speaker….it performed beautifully. It was nice to be heard without sounding harsh or too loud. It sat real well in the mix.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 5:06 pm    

You'll love the Stereo Steel.

David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2024 1:10 pm    

Anyone have a contact for Gerry Walker?

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2024 2:48 pm    

David D

this email address has worked for me

gdwalker@sterosteel.com

Ron

David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2024 3:00 pm    

Quote:
a bit of a nuisance here in the 220V world as I have to haul a large, heavy transformer around with the amp.

Maybe having a properly rated 220V unit retrofitted could be done, after figuring out how the current one is set up - if you wanted to could also get one that is universal with a voltage switch for if you need it.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 8:42 am     Stereo Steel

I just got y stereo steel back from Gerry.... it needed a bit of refurbishing ... it sounds SO GOOD. You can also reach Geery thru his Facebook page. I have his phone number but I'm not sure if he wants it given out. If you cant contact him thru facebook let me know.

jim

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 10:22 am    

I've been using my Stereo Steel Amp for about 12 years and I love it. It makes a very encompassing sound with both speakers. Very powerful and full. It has lots of variables with the controls to shape your sound. I think you'll like it a lot.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2024 4:45 pm    

Quote:
Quote:
a bit of a nuisance here in the 220V world as I have to haul a large, heavy transformer around with the amp.

Maybe having a properly rated 220V unit retrofitted could be done, after figuring out how the current one is set up - if you wanted to could also get one that is universal with a voltage switch for if you need it.

When I was packing up to move to the Philippines and deciding what gear to ship, what to sell, I offered my Stereo Steel for a pretty low price, with the Gator rack case. No takers. I was about to drop the price to something absurd, and thought, WTH, I'll keep it and buy a transformer. So it went into a box of other stuff I was shipping to the PH via the companies that fill empty containers with stuff going to Asia for cheap, and glad I have it. I did buy a large transformer to run it on. I talked to a local audio electronics guy about changing out the internal transformer to 220V, but he said while it's possible, in his experience, it changes the sound, and recommended I just continue to haul the heavy transformer around.

I need to go to the hardware store and find some plug, but M and F, that generally is not found locally, and switch it as the Philippines are 220V, but use the same plugs as the US 110V system - very easy for me or someone else to make a mistake! So the idea is to change out the socket on the transformer, and the plug on the amp.

I've got a Quilter TB 202 as well (and a Quilter Interblock 45). Nice amps - but for some reason both of these develop a lot of hum as the gain is turned up - which it has to be with my loud bandmates! The Stereo Steel stays quiet. Perhaps it's something to do with the very bad electricity supply here - our "220V" is often actually only 200, although that shouldn't matter as the Quilter should work with anything from 100-250V. But maybe the transformer isolates the Stereo Steel from noisy electrical service? In any event, it's my gig amp of choice with my current band.

IMO, the newer, cleaner models of these amps (mine isn't either!) should be very desirable amps in the steel world, but don't seem to be.