The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Input: adjustments - Weissenborn playing vs. slab lap Steel
Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 4:08 pm    

I’m curious about how other players addressed this…

I’ve been playing Weissenborn for nearing 15 years. I like the tug and dig of an acoustic lap steel. Something percussive about the hollow body, higher string tension - even with a magnetic sound hole pickup… part melody part percussion instrument in my playing.

Recently - as suggested in a recent thread - I acquired an 8 string lap steel (slab type, not acoustic).24.5” scale. I’ve gone to playing without finger picks as the resonance and pickup strength is mostly too much for my finger picks. I can get lovely, lush almost pedal steel sustained chime out of it. Really fine…. However….

Because of how Sensitive it is vs the acoustic Weissenborn, I cannot attack in the same way. Every nick of a string makes it ring.

The net result (at this point, understanding that fine tuning approach takes time) is my playing has sloooooowed way down. Almost leaning on ambient playing.

I’d be curious to hear what other players who shift between Weissenborn/acoustic lap playing and slab wood lap steel have to say. Learning curve? Different styles? Better to stick with one over the other?

Mark E
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2024 6:58 pm     Re: Input: adjustments - Weissenborn playing vs. slab...

Mark Evans wrote:

Better to stick with one over the other?
Mark E

Just like comparing acoustic guitar vs electric guitar! Two different instruments.
I play acoustic (weissenborns & dobros) and electric lap steels. (I'm certainly not a pro) They're all different. I love switching between them. So many differences to explore!