The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shobud Pro wiring diagram
Erik Sears

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 6:26 am    

I’m in the middle of restoring a ‘71 Pro. It has what I assume are volume and tone pots as well as a toggle switch, and I assume it’s a coil tap switch. I can probably find a generic volume, tone, coil tap switch, but wanted to see if anyone knows if there's anything Shobud specific about the circuit. Thx

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 7:31 am    

If you're talking about this particular early single-10 "professional"(is what they called it in early '70's)

There's nothing special about those knobs and switch on the ledge. That is Volume on one side of switch and Tone on other side and you switch the switch to select which you want to use..yeeehaaa.. Best thing about those worthless knobs is they were original Allen Bradley 500K-type J Pots that went in their very popular Volume pedals; so keep them if you don't want to use that circuit and just push a nice chrome cap in the holes.
Ricky

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 12:12 pm    

You switch between tone or volume control? Learn something new everyday. How does that actually work in practice? What happens to the Volume or tone when the switch is toggled?

Erik Sears

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2024 4:18 pm    

That’s exactly the one I have, Ricky. Volume doesn’t make much sense but it might be nice to have a little bit of time control. That said, probably makes more sense to remove it all and add a wrist rest. Any words of wisdom about the guitar or the Cracker Barrel system?

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 12:13 pm    

A tone control is especially useful if you're using lighter wound (-15k) single coil pickups. It's kind of the trick to getting that classic single coil sound that cuts but is still warm. I don't have a volume control on my steels, but it can be useful if you use fuzz or overdrive before the volume pedal.

If it were mine, I'd keep it as is and use the switch to bring the volume control in and out for a perfect fuzz tone.