The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning an Emmons fretboard with Tri-Flow bike chain oil?
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 7:26 am    

I've tried everything to get the streaks off my fretboard. Window cleaner, hand soap, etc. It always looked good until a few minutes later when it dried.

A while back, I lubed the changer and accidentally got a little of the oil on my fretboard. I wiped it off and that one small part stayed clean, no streaks, it still looked "wet" even though I couldn't feel any residue. So, I just changed strings and wiped the whole fretboard with it. It's been a few days and it still looks better than it ever has.

Anyone else ever try this?

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 9:28 am    

Interesting. That stuff is pretty expensive and kind of stinky though.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 9:33 am    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Interesting. That stuff is pretty expensive and kind of stinky though.

I hadn't really thought about it being expensive. I've had this same 6 oz bottle for many years and I use it on bikes far more often than on my PSG. $15 on Amazon.

Maybe I'm just used to the smell but I haven't noticed.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2024 10:04 pm    

If you bought the Tri-Flow in a bike shop, and it is the version labeled “Tri-Flow Superior Dry Lubricant”, it has paraffin wax added to it to coat and protect bike chains from rain and mud. It is probably the paraffin coating that is leaving your fretboard looking so shiny.
● However, I would not use this “Tri-Flow Superior Dry Lubricant” to lubricate your roller-nuts--because the wax coating will likely not allow the roller-nuts to spin freely and your strings will not return to pitch after they have been raised or lowered with a pedal or knee-lever.

The standard“Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant” is fine for the roller-nuts, and is typically available in hardware stores.
● The teflon film it leaves is also dry, but does NOT add a paraffin coating on top of the teflon like the "Dry" version of Tri-Flow does.

- Dave

James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2024 7:17 am    

Dave Magram wrote:
If you bought the Tri-Flow in a bike shop, and it is the version labeled “Tri-Flow Superior Dry Lubricant”, it has paraffin wax added to it to coat and protect bike chains from rain and mud. It is probably the paraffin coating that is leaving your fretboard looking so shiny.
● However, I would not use this “Tri-Flow Superior Dry Lubricant” to lubricate your roller-nuts--because the wax coating will likely not allow the roller-nuts to spin freely and your strings will not return to pitch after they have been raised or lowered with a pedal or knee-lever.

The standard“Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant” is fine for the roller-nuts, and is typically available in hardware stores.
● The teflon film it leaves is also dry, but does NOT add a paraffin coating on top of the teflon like the "Dry" version of Tri-Flow does.

- Dave

I'm using the “Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant”. I remember it was recommended by a lot of people on this forum a long time ago.