The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Phase shifter
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 12:00 pm    

Phaser isn't important enough to me to dedicate a huge amount of real estate for one. But I know what I don't like. So my goal is to find a unit that I like well enough that is also compact. In addition to the two I've already mentioned above, I just acquired this and added it to one of my boards (replacing the larger T-Rex). I haven't gigged it yet but I do like it well enough, so far.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 1:12 pm    

Jon - Does that Mooer overdrive the signal, or is it pretty clean?

~Lee

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 1:23 pm    

Lee -- it's quite clean. I had come to believe that some grind was just the nature of the beast but this does not go dirty. It does seem to add a bit of gain to the signal so it might overdrive an amp or preamp input that was on the edge.
It's also got a lot of tweakable parameters that, for my purposes, are next to useless. Sounds that don't interest me at all. But I hoped that all of that control would give me the best shot at finding the simple sounds I sought. Turns out that I found them within 3 minutes. Youtube demos are everything for me, lately. Some studying on them and I've got a pretty good idea of whether a device is going to give me what I want and how to dial it in.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 7:55 pm    

Just wanted to update my previous comments. Nothing sonically wrong with my Behringer, but it was very big and not a great fit for the compact way I'd built my board to both fit in a case and have 2 levels. Worked out a local deal for a Small Stone Nano and a DD-7 (been wanting a boss digital delay) recently.

Haven't directly A/B'd them but I didn't notice any tonal difference when I swapped them out. Nano is much better sized so it stays, but that the two seemed identical sounding did raise my esteem for the Behringer even more than before. Both pedals highly recommended.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 5:42 pm    

As an update to my previous post and subsequent quest; I finally got my hands on a Behringer Dual phase (aka Bi Phase). These are not available (new) in the U.S.

Back story: I ordered one about a year ago. (see post above) The Behringer website pointed to Amazon and Sweetwater as retailers. Sweetwater was out-of-stock but taking pre-orders. Amazon took my order with "delivery expected soon". Sweetwater is still out-of-stock. After 6 months went by Amazon asked me to confirm I still wanted it, I said yes. At some point months later, they canceled my order without notice.
Apparently Behringer had sold a small number of them in the U.S. labeled as "Bi-Phase", then changed the name to "Dual-Phase" shortly before stopping U.S. sales. I suspect they were shut down due to copyright/patent issues. This thing a clone after all. A few of these are available (used) on Reverb at inflated (IMO) prices. Rare doesn't always mean valuable. Not worth the extra $$$ (to me) for the Bi-Phase name on the front.

I ordered one from Anderton's (U.K.) on Dec. 20th. It was on my door-step Dec 24th. Incredible.

Current story: I spent a little while today A/B testing it against the original Bi-Phase. So far I cannot tell a difference. They sound the same.

I plugged my PSG into a Hilton VP to act as a buffer and split the signal into two identical outputs. I ran each VP output to input #1 of each Phase unit. The output of the phasers were connected to their own channels on my DAW, hard panned left and right, so each phaser had it's own identical amp/speaker. Plus I could play back my comparison noodles I had recorded.

It's not possible to synchronize the sweep on the two independent devices, but with the sweep rate almost the same they occasionally synch up. No difference in sound that my ears can detect. It gets kinda weird listening to a guitar playing through two un-synchronized phase shifters. I confined my experiment to just using phaser #1 on each unit. Phaser #2 has identical circuit and the sweep synch/invert functions work as expected.

Possible future story: I suppose I could feed both units with a sig-gen sine wave and compare outputs on a dual trace scope. Also could overdrive them to compare headroom. Maybe later. Right now I'm just having fun with audio comparisons.

The Behringer unit differs in that it:
-Has a footprint about half the size of the Mu-Tron but is lower profile and lighter. It would still take a lot of pedal-board real estate. Standard "Boss style" stomp box shown for size reference.
-Takes 9-12 VDC power input. 750mA needed so it's a current hog. Does not run on batteries. The old Mu-Tron is AC powered.
-Has a CV input to externally control the sweep generators where the Mu-Tron requires a proprietary control pedal which is about the size weight of a VP.
-Has the inputs/outputs and power switch on the back. Original has inputs on front. AC line power switch on top.
-Has the effect on/off buttons on the phaser unit. The Bi-Phase uses external switches or the optional sweep control pedal.
-Has an audible pop when the foot-switches are activated. The old one is quiet.

I will have to take a look inside the Behringer unit soon.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 10:46 pm    

Bob Sykes wrote:

-Has an audible pop when the foot-switches are activated. The old one is quiet.

Mine has this issue too but I haven't been able to try it via an isolated power supply. Other than that it sounds awesome.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5