The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Original Quilter Micro Pro
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2024 5:13 pm    

I have the opportunity to buy this original Micro Pro set. Any other users out there? Will it give me plenty of clean headroom and good tone? [img]
[/img]

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2024 7:32 pm    

Tim, I have the Mach II Micropro that I'm sure is similar. I struggled with getting a tone to my liking even when using my extension cabinets. Plenty of headroom and power though. I finally settled with using an old line 6 pod xt to the channel one input. That gives me more eq control. I also put the quilter celestion HD speaker in it. That also improved it's bass and voice range. Your results may be different. It was a great amp for my telecaster without any changes.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2024 8:48 pm    

Thanks Larry. Really appreciate your candor as all I am hearing are rave reviews, many by well respected players. I have tried a couple of Quilters and was not that impressed. I’m looking for basic good tone and a decent amount of headroom. The Quilters are loaded with stuff I’ll never use and twiddling a lot of knobs chasing tone is not for me.The deal on this amp is almost too good to pass on. Gonna have to think hard on this one.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 10:55 am    

Tim, there is a lot of Talk about the 202 and before that the 101. I bought one then the other with about the same results. The high end is harsh and difficult to dial out. Once again I tried preamps, eq pedals and amp sim pedal with mixed results. Then the speaker cabinets swapping speakers including the TT12. Better in a deep cabinet but still not my taste. I won't spring for the Quilter cabinet. Too much for a cabinet. I use a session 400 with the Peavey Profex II for a better tone. The Tonemaster Twin is decent but the reverb bugs me. I also use a Fender Mustang III with the Black Box right out of my steel. The Mustang requires a lot of knob twiddling to get the tones you want. I can't say not to get the Quilter as it might suit your taste. A while back another forum member liked the Mach 2.