The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedals: Optical vs Pot & Response Curve
Steve Hampton

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 9:00 am    

I'm a pedal steel newbie. Does anyone have any experience with any of those optical volume pedals? On paper, they seem nice since there's no mechanical wiper arm for dust to collect on.

Are there any volume pedals out there with an adjustable response curve, not just a pot to control the minimum volume but control of exponential/linear curve selection and adjustment. I have a BOSS FV-500H and most of its control range seems to be in the lower-third of the pot.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 9:10 am    

I'm pretty sure a Telonics will do all that.

I went through a whole thing with fancy volume pedals and ended up on a simple standard Goodrich L120. Being a new player I wouldn't obsess about gear details very much unless you really enjoy that sort of thing. When you put time into playing most of those issues no longer exist.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 9:30 am    

My Telonics has 6 different tapers to switch between, and I believe more can be downloaded. A fantastic piece of quality gear, but it's not for a newbie budget. But you don't need a Leica camera to take good pictures...

I tried all six tapers and settled for one (the one that is supposed to emulate a Hilton pedal, if I remember correctly) and have never felt a need to change that. Whatever the taper, you soon get used to it and it will feel completely natural.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 9:59 am    

The only thing I'll add to the good posts above is that while you've got much better things to do (at this point) than to play the gear game, you just might want to go for the Goodrich 120 pedal over your Boss. It's an industry standard for good enough reason. I know little about the Boss pedal but it may well have a less favorable taper. Look up some specs on the height of the Goodrich regular vs low pedal, compare that with what you've got so as to make an informed decision as to which might suit you best.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 10:54 am    

Jon Light wrote:
The only thing I'll add to the good posts above is that while you've got much better things to do (at this point) than to play the gear game, you just might want to go for the Goodrich 120 pedal over your Boss. It's an industry standard for good enough reason. I know little about the Boss pedal but it may well have a less favorable taper. Look up some specs on the height of the Goodrich regular vs low pedal, compare that with what you've got so as to make an informed decision as to which might suit you best.

Agreed. Also, a quick web search of the BOSS FV-500H shows the input and output jacks at the rear of the pedal. Even with right angle plugs, this is a less than optimum location.
Tom McDonough

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 6:38 am     Re: Volume Pedals: Optical vs Pot & Response Curve

Steve Hampton wrote:
...I have a BOSS FV-500H and most of its control range seems to be in the lower-third of the pot.

The pedal gets lots of good reviews. Maybe you just need more time using it to get used to it? Anyhow, one thing you could try is turning the amp down. That makes you have to press down more (and use more pedal movement) to get the same amount of volume.