The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Toneblock 202 Issue
Evan Pachal

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 9:07 am    

I'm wondering if any of you TB 202 users has experienced this problem I'm having?

Quilter ToneBlock 202 Signal Out to DI to Front of House. Started getting break up in my in ear monitors. Out the front, the sound is fine. Checked the overall gain on my Steel channel, that's not it! I use a Steel Dream and Goodrich Bloomer for effects... Cables aren't the problem. Haven't tried taking out the Steel Dream from the chain or the Bloomer, maybe one of those is the culprit??? Don't believe the DI was the problem either... Maybe the Quilter isn't the problem either... Have to work back and go one by one ie: guitar straight to Quilter, then keep adding back in the effects...

Any other suggestions from you folks would be appreciated!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 9:41 am    

Obviously you need to finish your process of elimination tour. But let me note that if that yields the conclusion that there is a problem with the amp, Quilter's tech support is outstanding. They seem quick to recognize and acknowledge known issues and their reputation for quick turnaround on repairs is first rate.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2023 1:57 pm    

Try the batteries in your in ears or the volume going to them.

Evan Pachal

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 8:19 am     Quilter Toneblock 202

Hello Again!
I messaged Pat Quilter about this issue I was having and I received the following reply

The Sig Out is at full line level, and is Pre Master (fixed output level), so be sure the console mic trim is turned down far enough to accept a line level signal without clipping.  Some consoles may not be able to accept a line level signal into a mic input without clipping, in which case it should go to the Line Input on that channel.  In theory you should not need the DI box, so it's worth omitting one time to confirm that it is not the problem. (If you get hum, then you need the DI box, but the Sig Out is a balanced line and should work OK into a balanced input). 
It's also possible you are getting normal preamp overdrive clipping due to excessive Gain setting. This can quickly be confirmed by connecting headphones, or a speaker, at a moderate Master volume, and listening to the signal at the same settings that produce breakup in your in-ear monitors. If you hear breakup, reduce Gain and make up the volume on the console. If you don't hear breakup, the signal is being clipped someplace later in the signal chain which will need to be tracked down. 
Best regards
Pat Quilter

I very much appreciate the quick detailed reply from Pat @ Quilter...

Just passing this on to other Quilter users that might happen to experience the same issue...

I'm going to eliminate the D.I and go from there to see if the problem goes away...

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 1:23 pm     Quilter signal out / No DI

Hi Evan, I also have the 202 and it has a quarter inch signal out on the top, which seems to be more user-friendly I should say, meaning, the signal to the engineer has more understanding on how to give me my sound. The master volume on the right is nice to control your stage speaker without affecting the engineers control , the gain control on the far left Turns the signal out volume up, and they don’t like that, the XLR output on the bottom, I haven’t had good luck for its purpose only because I’m not familiar with it yet,, I thought it would do the same thing as the quarter inch line signal out on the top but it appears different , trial and error , you do have to keep that one switch on top towards LINE…
The in ears that are hooked to the XAir System for us can really get annoying, As I said, we’re not professionals, but we have all this great equipment that works well. If you read up on it, trial and error offstage is where we fix the problems usually 😆
IF YOU HAVE ANY SECRETS ABOUT THE 202 I would love to learn more about it