The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TONE MASTER® PRO Guitar Workstation
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2023 4:59 pm    

Another entry into the amp/cab effects simulator/modeler units. I've had good luck with the ToneX pedal and Fractal FX3. Other units I've haven't tried include the Quad Cortex, Line 6, Boss, Kemper and a few others.

You can import amp and cab IR's although you can't create them with this unit. It does have 4 effects loops and customizable labels and encoder for the 6 foot switches. Fender also offers 10" and 12" FRFR powered cabinets. Unfortunately most of the demos feature distortion.

Here's some good reviews I've found showing this unit's capabiilties.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ToneMasterPro--fender-tone-master-pro-multi-effects-guitar-workstation

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary-digital/tone-master-pro/2274900000.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu-VQKx1JeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXNQX2XOsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUT-w8r3CA8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2023 4:05 am    

I ordered one of these for my 74th birthday (10-5). It will arrive today. Looking forward to trying it with my Mullen G2. Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2023 4:29 am    

Edward, update us after you've had a chance to try it out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2023 4:44 am     Tone Master Pro

The TMP arrived yesterday evening and I didn't have time to do much with it. I hooked up a Telecaster and headphones and run thru the factory presets. I was disappointed, I found nothing that would be suitable for PSG unless you like high gain and distortion. I haven't made any of my own presets yet but will try today with my XR-18 mixer and Yamaha studio monitors.

I quit using modelers about 7 years ago and went back to real amps. I had the L6 Pod xtLive and the Pod HD500 and could not get a good clean amp sound. That was before I started playing PSG. After I got my Mullen I tried a Katana and a Spark 40, both were ok but nothing to brag about. Then I got a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb and it sounded like a fender amp but then I got a Quilter Steelaire rack mount and stopped using the Fender. I then got a TB202 and a Quilter cab and that was great until I bought a Kemper. Today the TB202 still sits next to the Mullen but I often run a cable to the Kemper to use the effects in the Kemper.

I profiled the Tone Master Deluxe and it sounds great. I haven't profiled the 2 Quilters yet but hope to soon. I ordered the TMP thinking I could get more of the Fender amps without actually buying more amps, it seemed like a good idea cost and space-wise but after what I heard yesterday I'm not sure yet, I'll have to make some presets from scratch to see. At least I have something to do in my old age.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2023 8:39 am     update

After getting the TMP setup on my xr-18 and studio monitors in the living room and checking out the Fender amps I can say I feel much better about my purchase. The amps sound just as good as the TM Deluxe amp I bought 3 years ago. I paid $800 for that one amp and the price has gone up to $949 today so the TMP is worth what I paid for it because I have more Fender amps in a much smaller space. I will be selling the amp and keeping the TMP.

I checked it out this morning using a Grote ES 335 with P90 pickups and it sounds great. The next step is to move the TMP into the studio and try it with the Mullen. I set up the control software on the computer in the living room and it works as it should. There is no iOS app (yet) so until that happens I can't use my iPad to control it so I'll have to install the software on my Mac laptop and hope the iPad app is coming soon. There really isn't much room left in my studio near the Mullen to setup a table for the laptop but it beats getting up from the steel to get to the computer or sitting the TMP on a table and there is no way I can control it on the floor with my feet. Other than that I'm very happy with the TMP.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2023 9:11 am    

Nice report!

There's so many possible choices for non-amp gear now that it's hard to choose. I was able to dial out all the distortion in my Fractal FX3 and ToneX pedal setups and can get crystal clear tone out of either now. The Quilter TT15 amp is not a great FRFR powered cab so whatever you choose you still have to add an amp if desired. I run my setups into headphones and then into a Zoom R24 recorder and haven't powered on an amp in a few months.

Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2023 9:25 am    

It seems to be generally getting good reviews, up to the $1699 purchase price. I use a Helix and haven't touched an amp in years. Clean sounds are probably the hardest to get quality on any of these units, but once you're familiar with available adjustments, the results are amazing and easily adjusted as needed or immediately recalled.

I'll say the presets are all rubbish on ALL of the units...for various reasons enough to be another thread. But the manufacturer will always struggle with the player plugging in THEIR instrument, to sound as good as someone else's. We all know every brand of guitar, PSG included, have their own signature sound. Then when a player swaps out pickups, it's hard to expect the unit to react in an equal favorable way. Regular amps are so much simpler in the fact you just plug in and the typical extra adjustments in modelers are not there in an amp. So the amps get dismissed as always better, because IN GENERAL just plugging in gets immediate results.
This is NOT a debate about tweaking or not...but anyone that has done serious studio recording, knows there are so many items from mic choice, placement, room acoustics, mic preamps and so many other items in the signal chain. Possibly consider that parallel to a modeler than to a sound you hear on a bar room stage.
Any rate...my $.02 and I'm sticking to it.
Lastly...the units tend to emulate a "recorded, studio" sound. NOT the sound of a JBL D130 blowing air thru your trousers. Two vastly different sounds and experiences.
If you're using it live, hopefully your going thru an appropriate speaker or PA with a sound person that has a set of ears.

Justin Shaw

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2023 11:13 am    

It seems they really went all out on the I/O options for the TMP. It also probably has the nicest layout for a modeler.

I'm a big fan of the Neural DSP plugins, so I'm still waiting to see if they pull off the promised options on the Quad Cortex. My favorite cleans from a modeler ever come from their Archetype Cory Wong plugin, which I use in my DAW constantly.

For a Fender modeler, all I really want is cleans, and I was disappointed to find that the '63 Vibroverb isn't in there, for example. I would have been way more excited about having every legendary amp they ever made modeled perfectly than dozens of amps modeled decently, including high gain 5150s and stuff. I understand they want to be another all in one solution but Fender built their name on cleans and stuff like the Bassman which sound great clean and then overdrive well when pushed. I don't care what their take on a modeled 80s Marshall is.

Here's a YouTuber I follow, who gigged with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctvGbp90TwE

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2023 8:21 pm     Tone master Pro

Hi all,

Thought I’d share a quick clip I did of the steel preset I’m using on the Tone Master Pro. Obviously, this is a guitar workstation that we’ve been working on but I’m very happy with the results with my ReSound 65. Plan on using this for my gigs going forward.

Btw, this is directly from the TM Pro via USB to my iPhone camera.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ksC6KN0MqbfkHg110_OEm6m9imez1gfy/view?usp=drivesdk

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 12:48 am    

Rick, did you by any chance share this on the cloud?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 4:37 am    

Nice Demo Rick!

This pedal does a nice job of combining the modeler with a configurable floor pedal. I am using the Fractal FX3 and the ToneX pedals a lot. The ToneX lacks the effects and floor pedal functions that this has and the Fractal is a lot more money after you add in the optional floor pedal.

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2023 9:37 am    

Edward Dixon wrote:

Edward, I can definitely put it up on the cloud. I am using a York IR that replicates a JBL D120F but there are other IRs that sound as good for steel. I will post as soon as i can and let you know the name.

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2023 9:49 am    

Edward Dixon wrote:

Edward (or anyone that has a TM Pro),

The preset I created for pedal steel is up on the cloud now. You can access it using the TM Pro app and going to the cloud section.

It's called "Steel studio EV". Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Rick

George Erdman

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2023 9:37 am    

Quote:
Unfortunately most of the demos feature distortion....

*sigh* Aint it the truth...[/quote]

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2023 10:55 am    

Rick,

Thanks! I got the "Steel studio EV" preset this morning. I didn't think I was going to find it but I did. There is no search function that I could find but I did it anyway. It's under the genres tab in the country category in case others are looking for it.

I like the way you have it set up with the effects included but not all on. Looks very flexible for live use. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 6:48 am     So far so good

I just got one and currently exploring all the functions and capabilities. As with most all multi effect/modelers, the factory presets are heavy into the distorted realm... So building a preset like Rick did is the way to go for steel users looking for clean tones.

The best part so far is how easy is to set up a preset and the quality of the Fender amp sounds. Much easier to see and set up than the menu driven set ups on other units I have used. I'm looking forward to less tweaking and more playing!

I got it yesterday and did a remote recording last night. I created a simple twin reverb-based preset that was super easy to set up and sounded great. I did not use the USB outs for recording but will try that next along with re-amping.

But the main reason I got this was for multi-instrument live use and not carrying an amp to fly dates.. In the next few days, I will be setting up presets for Steel, Lap, Dobro and Banjo... So we will see.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 6:49 am    

Rick Heins a question for you sir..Before I get heavy into building presets, I'm hoping for a tip on preset volumes. There is the amp input gain, preset volume, amp level and master volume. What would be good starting point for preset volume?

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 7:27 am    

Charlie Thompson wrote:
Rick Heins a question for you sir..Before I get heavy into building presets, I'm hoping for a tip on preset volumes. There is the amp input gain, preset volume, amp level and master volume. What would be good starting point for preset volume?

This is a great question! I just ordered the poor mans version of this, and was wondering the same thing. https://www.valeton.net/GP-200LT.html

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 9:00 am    

Tim, WoW! Look at this unit from your link:

https://www.valeton.net/GP-200.html

$279.99!

● HD modeling technology carried by the new digital platform delivering more organic tones

● 24-bit 44.1kHz audio conversion

● Over 240 high-quality effects

● 140+ legendary guitar/bass/acoustic amps, cabinets

● 100+ dynamic/distortion/frequency/modulation/delay/reverb effects

● Supporting 20 user IRs storage

● 256 patch slots (100 factory, 156user)

● Up to 11 freely movable modules in the effect chain able to work simultaneously

● 180-second looper

● 100 high-quality drum patterns

Sensitive built-in chromatic tuner

● 4.3-inch TFT LCD presents an intuitive, user-friendly multi-language UI

● 8 customizable LED footswitches with 3 footswitches templates, applicable for various situations

● Built-in expression pedal controlling up to 3 effect parameters

● Numerous button and knob shortcuts bringing efficiency home

● Diverse I/Os matching with diverse needs

● USB Type-C connection audio interface compatible with Win/Mac/iOS/Android systems

● 6-in/4-out USB Audio, supporting loopback and more convenience for re-amping
● Intuitive Win/Mac editor

● Rugged cast metal chassis

● DC 9V power supply

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2024 9:19 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Tim, WoW! Look at this unit from your link:

https://www.valeton.net/GP-200.html

$279.99!

I am pretty excited about this unit! I got the Gp-200lt version off Ebay. I decided I want a real volume pedal so this is perfect. I made an offer based on past sales and they accepted $191. I figure for this price, I can make a few presets I like and use the Looper-Drum function for practicing (guitar and steel). It would be worth it for that alone. I feel like it opens up a whole dimension for recording and beyond as well. This looks like a great beginner all in one unit, amps, cabs, effects, practice device, as well as minimalistic performance rig. I just have to learn to use it! There are number of very positive reviews on YouTube from people who seem pretty knowledgeable about these things.

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 9:32 am    

Charlie Thompson wrote:

Charlie,

I realize that having so many spots for volume can be confusing initially. Through using this live my preferred settings are:

Setting the volume of the controls on the amp to taste (5 or 6 for the twin), the amp volume (lower left corner below amp image) at 65-75% and then the preset volume (under preset settings in the bottom middle section) at about 75%.

This gives me plenty of headroom and volume and then using the master volume as the final adjustment, depending on the band and the venue. I also have my TM Pro set up so that my steel and guitar can be plugged in simultaneously (use the primary input for guitar and the mic input for steel with increased line level for parity) and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps and I’m happy to answer any other questions folks have about the TM Pro. Honestly, these days my tube amps mostly stay at home. Smile

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2024 1:17 pm    

Thanks Rick... Great tip on the input.. Didn't know you could use the mic input for steel!

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 6:43 am    

Rick PM Sent