The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zoom G1X four
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 7:50 am    

Anyone using one of these? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G1FOUR--zoom-g1-four-multi-effects-processor

I figured I would start a new thread for this , but this is another product I am considering besides the Mooer P1. I am looking for a one stop shop effects, amp modeler, looper and drum machine to replace my growing rats nest of pedals. Mostly I want this as a practice tool and this seems to be the new leader in my search. I am not sure about the X pedal, but it seems like it could function as a volume pedal for a steel, which I don't have. This thing looks so ridiculous, but it seems to do everything I need it to do.

Compared to the Mooer P1 it is obviously a bit bulkier, but it seems much more functional and completely useable without a phone App, although 2 Apps are available. I believe it could also function in headphone only mode, silent practice, by plugging into the 1/4" output jack. It can also add a whole new dimension to my class D amp I built which is basically just a powered speaker. And its Cheap!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 9:56 am    

I bought one a few months ago and returned it. Total junk in my books. I got it to replace my Zoom MS50G that died. I was thrilled to see they added a Boss GE7 EQ model so I could set up the dobro simulation. It was NOWHERE close. Some of the effects I used in the MS50G were not in the standard effects in the Pedal. You had to download them via USB. Well, I tried both Zoom's Guitar Lab software and Tonelib Zoom software I sometimes got to work on the MS50G. Neither would connect, and I tried it on all 3 of my computers. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I am done with Zoom products. It may work for you just for practice. Buy online from Amazon or one of the online music stores that allow returns if you don't like it.

Also, I doubt the Pedal on the unit would really work for a PSG volume pedal. If you are serious about learning proper volume pedal technique, you should use a real PSG volume pedal. Problem is, they are expensive.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 10:41 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I bought one a few months ago and returned it. Total junk in my books. I got it to replace my Zoom MS50G that died. I was thrilled to see they added a Boss GE7 EQ model so I could set up the dobro simulation. It was NOWHERE close. Some of the effects I used in the MS50G were not in the standard effects in the Pedal. You had to download them via USB. Well, I tried both Zoom's Guitar Lab software and Tonelib Zoom software I sometimes got to work on the MS50G. Neither would connect, and I tried it on all 3 of my computers. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I am done with Zoom products.

I am not surprised you had issues. I will say my expectations are pretty low for the effects and it is a compromise, but I mostly want it for the looper and drum machine. I figure I can find a few settings I like and play around with the rest. Sitar simulator anyone, Death metal steel guitar??? I would assume it has the same processor as the other Zoom stuff which a lot of people like. I think its is more compatable with PC although the Guitar lab software is apparently compatible with Mac. Not sure about ToneLib. Most seem to prefer ToneLib.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 10:54 am    

How about Boss GT-1 ? https://www.boss.info/fr/products/gt-1/
Sorry, it's in French.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 10:57 am    

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 11:46 am    

The G1 Four may have the same processor, but the sounds didn't seem as good to my ears as The MS50G. Thet sounded "cheap". My Ms50G still worked, but after editing sounds on it with the Zoom Guitar Lab software, the MS50 would never turn off when puhsing the footswitch, even after several complete factory resets.

I did try the looper and drum machine, but have no use for them, so I didn't spend much time with it. The audio input so you can input an Mp3 player or other audio source is cool. Didn't try it though.

It's probably worth a try if you order from a place that will let you return it if you don't like it. I always buy from Amazon as I am a Prime member and get free shipping, but most online music stores offer free shipping too. The difference is, Amazon let's me just drop it off at a location near me without having to box it up, as long as all the original product packaging is there. Musician's Friend required me to box it up and pay return postage on a pedal I got from them (that failed right out of the box).

With the death of my MS50G, I decided to obtain specific pedals for effects I would use the MS50G for. As a gigging musician, I need good equipment that is reliable.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 2:38 pm    

The Boss GT1 is a very decent and quality pedal. I enjoy mine and use it for steel and regular guitars. The sweet part is any settings I use and save to tone studio can be shared to my little Pocket GT that fits in my shirt pocket. I use a phone clip attached to the back leg of my steel. Very convenient.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 3:55 pm    

John Sluszny wrote:

I would much rather have a Boss product, but no drums! I am looking at all the options under $200 seems like they all have issues, but work for the most part. I am having a hard time figuring out which are most compatible with iPad/Phone. A few others...
Mooer GE100 or 150
Nux Mg-300
Valeton gp-100

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 8:03 am    

It pays off to do research before buying something, especially for these multi effects pedals. Unfrortunaltely for me that has meant watching hours? of insane metalhead videos!. I have learned a lot by suffering through this. These things have a dizzying array of capabilities, but my primary interest is as a practice device using the drums and looper together. After researching every model I can find under $200, only 2 have the ability to actually SYNC the drums and looper together. The Mooer P1 and the Nux MG-300. Both cost about $160. You can use these functions together on all of them but after a few loops the drift apart. Why not include this function????

The Nux has more capabilities and an expression pedal, it is an actual pedal and has the abilitiy to load custom IR's which I am still learning about. I am wondering if this could be used to create a tone of say a Dobro tone for a pedal steel guitar and get a pedabro effect? Or to create a nice acoustic guitar IR to play through say a telecaster??? Larger learning curve here. Major time sucker, but many more possibilities.

The Mooer is more of a headphone amp which is extremely minimal and portable and completely wireless.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 9:02 am    

Tim, I agree on the suffering through metalhead videos. I have done a lot of that to glean the small tidbit of clean functions. The Mooer is loaded but isn't that a phone app driven device? Nux has the upper hand but neither has a good support system from the manufacturer. Look on the web and Facebook pages. I'm still trying to get a Nux amp academy pedal to work with my phone or tablet.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 9:16 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tim, I agree on the suffering through metalhead videos. I have done a lot of that to glean the small tidbit of clean functions. The Mooer is loaded but isn't that a phone app driven device? Nux has the upper hand but neither has a good support system from the manufacturer. Look on the web and Facebook pages. I'm still trying to get a Nux amp academy pedal to work with my phone or tablet.
Yah I just don’t know what to do. I don’t like any of the options. Confused My acoustic guitar is scowling at me over in the corner.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 7:41 am    

I have soured on the Mooer P1 because I started thinking about what this thing will be in a few years. It is a great design, but once the battery starts to go it will be junk. Probably has the lifespan of an iPhone. I would hope these multi FX pedals have a longer useable lifespan than that.

I am really liking the Valeton GP-200LT https://www.amazon.com/Processor-Multi-Effects-Expression-Modeling-Interface/dp/B0BGRQXSXF?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A143QBZIQZCOJX&th=1

This thing does everything I want and WAY more, it does too much actually. Can be found for around $200-225. I wish the GP-100 had the Sync for the looper and drums, but oddly it doesn't.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 8:10 am    

Here's another one. I have no idea of its capabilities (drum/loop sync etc.) but it does quite a bit. Donner makes cheap stuff. I've got a stomp box or two that are adequate.

https://www.donnerdeal.com/collections/guitar-pedals/products/donner-multi-effects-pedal-guitar-pedals

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 10:14 am    

Jon Light wrote:
Here's another one. I have no idea of its capabilities (drum/loop sync etc.) but it does quite a bit. Donner makes cheap stuff. I've got a stomp box or two that are adequate.

https://www.donnerdeal.com/collections/guitar-pedals/products/donner-multi-effects-pedal-guitar-pedals

There seems to be 4 or 5 tiers for this type of pedal. You get a lot more by upping it a little bit. I hadn't looked at this one cause it is huge! I have the circle looper and it is pretty good. The Valeton gets a lot of praise I am finding. Actually made of Metal! OOOh!