The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Incorporating a Multi Kord Changer in a Telecaster
Alex Jones

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2023 5:37 pm    

Greetings everyone - first time poster. I will start out by saying, I do not play pedal steel guitar, nor do I play lap steel. I am a fingerstyle guitar player inspired by the styles of Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Tommy Emmanuel, etc. I also love building tube amplifiers - particularly a slightly modified version of the Standel 25L15. Two and a half years ago, I had an accident in my shop and lost half of my ring finger on my left hand (I am a right handed guitar player). I did everything I could to save the digit, but after it was reattached, it didn’t take. I was in the hospital for over a week doing leech therapy and I had a lot of time to think about the things that I would and wouldn’t be able to do on the guitar. Over the past few years, I have learned how to play chords differently, but there are still things I can not do. I have found many instances where I could use a string bent up one step - which would complete some chords, or free up a finger to play melodies. If you care to have a look - I made a video a week after my last surgery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDmKVCRPnkU. Now that you have a context, let’s get to the problem.

Given my unique situation, I need a custom guitar that is capable of bending nearly all of the 6 strings of the guitar with foot pedals. For the past two years, I have been trying to design a system similar in concept to the MSA guitar attachment that Phil Baugh played in the late 70’s, early 80’s. It has been a slow process, because I have purchased a mini lathe and a mini mill and have been trying to learn the skills required for machining small parts, along with having a full time job and family. My designs and inspirations have changed several times over the past few years and I have now settled on wanting to take inspiration steel guitars and incorporate “long” levers. I love the idea of the MSA attachment being able to raise or lower the strings based on how they are loaded. After doing another internet search for inspiration, I ran across the Multi-Kord pedal steel guitar. The changer mechanism looks very interesting - because it might be able to be removed from the steel guitar and transplanted into a telecaster-type body. I have CNC equipment and I could design and manufacture a body that would have the proper cutout for the mechanism to mount into.

The way I see it - I have a few options for exploring if this is doable. I could buy a Multi-Kord pedal steel and harvest the changer mechanism and design a body around that. OR my real question is - do any of you have any changer mechanism parts/assemblies I could buy WITHOUT the pedal steel guitar part. I would feel guilty for cannibalizing a working pedal steel guitar for only the changer mechanism. The last option would be to try and machine all of the parts for the mechanism from scratch using the patent drawings and pictures. This option sounds intriguing, but long in duration. I have had this idea for several years - I am getting to the point where I want to relearn the guitar (again…) to incorporate this bender guitar into my playing. I could also machine a simpler system - not necessarily two fingers - but just one - for raising the pitch.

I am certainly open to other ideas - I know this concept of 6 string guitar bender with foot pedals has been done in the past. I will also add to the mix that I worked with Jimmie Hudson for a short period of time, but his health has declined and he has sold his business. He is a nice gentleman and I do not want to bother him with my projects when he has a lot of other things on his mind. In closing - I’d appreciate your input, ideas, opportunity to purchase parts, etc.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2023 6:00 am    

I am so sorry to hear about your accident, and it is a reminder to everyone here to be careful. I also came here from fingerstyle guitar and love the musicians mentioned. My 3 would be Merle Travis, Blind Blake and Lenny Breau. I came her thinking I would learn a little steel guitar to open my guitar playing. Now steel guitar has become almost a complete obsession.

In regards to your unique situation I think if you have the will, you will find away. I immediately thought of Django obviously, and Dave Brubeck had very limited usage of his left hand. Both of these musicians adapted their style to their "disability". I admire your motivation and I think you are on the right track. You may even invent something to help others as well!

It may be worth trying to modify an existing part, but I think a custom designed changer- instrument is what you need. I have been thinking about using bike cables again for a stacked pedal idea, but I found it much easier using pedals and rods. What about something like the Junior Brown Guit-steel , omitting the steel guitar? https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=305716&sid=0c8ff5893b7c948c8ffb073fd2e8c145

Good Luck! Very cool to see people thinking outside the box.

I had another thought. Pat Martino had a stroke and had to completely re-learn guitar. Have you considered re learning as a left hander? I know it would be a lot, but you have a head start!

Jacobus De Bruyn

NSW, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 12:16 am     Cord changer

Hi there have a look in my Electro Steel Guitar section in the forum. I use servo’s to change my pedal steel chords and use wireless communication between the pedals and main guitar body. Let me know if you need more info.

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 8:11 am    

A few years ago, I built a pedal steel using a mini-mill and a mini-lathe. I milled the changer housing but bought used all-pull changers. It is do-able. I took a short course at a local technical school to learn how to safely use the equipment. I have since sold my pedal steel and am limiting my steel guitar focus to lap steel. I bought palm pedals to change the pitch of a couple of strings but find them limiting because they anchor my right hand. I contemplated doing what you are looking to do to switch to foot levers. If you are doing only raises, a pull-release changer is simple in design and simple to manufacture with your gear. At rest the changer sits solidly at the rest position. When pulled, the changer comes to a stop with an adjustable end-stop. Figuring pulling ratios is a fairly straight-forward process so that the foot pedal pressure and foot pedal travel meets your requirements.

I wish you well in your project.

Karlis