The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing speaker
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 12:25 pm    

I swap speakers and cabs all the time, but I’ve never seen one this stubborn! It’s like it was epoxied into the cab! Seems stock in every way.. any ideas about how to remove it without tweeking the basket?

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 12:41 pm    

Looks like a front loaded speaker. Remove the grill and then the speaker screws and then it should come out.

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 12:59 pm    

Sorry..I should have mentioned that I've removed the 8 mounting screws (from the back), and, while I haven't removed the grille, looking through it only reveals the nut-serts. I did think about removing the grille to see if there was any way to get between the cab and the gasket, but thought I'd check here first (before I did something stupid!). I'm hoping to NOT destroy the gasket, as I don't have another...
Thanks for the thought! πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 1:15 pm    

Yeah I couldn't tell if those were screw heads or the nuts, but it still looks like a front load. A lot of times speakers just settle in from the elements. Take a flat screwdriver and gently pry around the rim. Hopefully it should let loose. There is a metal rim under that black gasket. You can't hurt the metal. Make sure you have a solid grip on the screwdriver so it doesn't slip and puncture the cone.

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 1:16 pm    

Yeah I couldn't tell if those were screw heads or the nuts, but it still looks like a front load. A lot of times speakers just settle in from the elements. Take a flat screwdriver and gently pry around the rim. Hopefully it should let loose. There is a metal rim under that black gasket. You can't hurt the metal. Make sure you have a solid grip on the screwdriver so it doesn't slip and puncture the cone.

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 2:01 pm    

I'll try taking the grille off tonight.. thanks!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 3:28 pm    

Take another look. If those are Peavey Nashville 115E speakers and mounting screws are on the back, I'm pretty sure they are mounted from the rear, not the front. I know for a fact the 112Es are.

I can't see how removing the grille is going to help you.

The way I've always gotten stuck speakers loose is to pick up the cabinet a few inches off the floor and drop it. The shock will most times do the trick. It's probably just stuck on the paint.

Whether or not this will render the gasket unusable who knows, but you can buy replacement gaskets pretty cheap a few places.

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 3:43 pm    

Jerry to me it looked like they are front loaded. I could be wrong. But when you can see the whole speaker they usually are.

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 3:44 pm    

Now as I look again maybe not. In which case your method is right.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 3:59 pm    

I traded for an old UL Twin a few years ago, and the JBL's were stuck to the baffle, I got them loose, gently prying with a small tool, and using a feeler gauge between the speaker and baffle all around until it was free. The gaskets were OK!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 4:29 pm    

Good idea Bill.

Meant to include with my post, if using the shock treatment, maybe cut a piece or two of carboard same size as the cabinet's interior to soften the fall. Better yet, some rigid foam insulation.

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 6:38 pm    

Got it! The 15" speaker is in a cab that's 16.5" wide, so I couldn't do anything from the back side. I removed the grille and got a knife between the baffle and the surround and got it to release.
Thanks to all who responded! I appreciate the help! πŸ‘

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 7:10 pm    

So one question ? Was it a front load?

Dave Meis

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 7:33 pm    

No.. 8 screws from the back... but it was stuck to the baffle like hair on a bear! 🀣