The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sales Tax Nashville
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 9:28 am    

Does anyone know when the 25% tax on bar purchased alcohol was put in place in Nashville?
It certainly doesn't keep the crowds down and since they don't have an income tax in the state it's a subtle way to raise revenue.

S

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 10:26 am    

Here is an interesting read on the subject.

Click Here

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 1:02 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Here is an interesting read on the subject.

Click Here

Only if you want to pay to subscribe.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 1:04 pm    

This what I get if I click that link to the Tennessean.

Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 1:25 pm    

I clicked and the article came right up. I don't have a subscription. Try it on a computer instead of an Android phone.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 1:37 pm    

Worked for me too. I wonder if that's what they do if you're using an ad-blocker. They'll let you read it if you're willing to sift through all the ads.

Richard,
Basically the article states that there is a 15% tax on "liquor by the drink" in addition to the 9.25% sales tax. The Liquor-by-the-Drink tax applies to mixed drinks, wine or beer that have an alcohol content above 8%. I'm pretty sure that there was a similar tax when I lived there in the 80's and 90's. There just wasn't such a thing as 8% beer in any of the bars back then! If they're tacking that on to your Bud Lite bill, they're cheatin'.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 10:35 pm    

I also got the paywall. AdBlocker disabled or not. Scripts disabled or not. So I didn't read the article and may not have the full story. But 24.25% tax is beyond ridiculous, IMO. I've been stuck up here in PA this past year owing to serious illness in my family. But I don't recall the alcohol sin tax being this bad when I've been down there over the years, which is a lot.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 5:47 am    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
Worked for me too. I wonder if that's what they do if you're using an ad-blocker. They'll let you read it if you're willing to sift through all the ads.

Richard,
Basically the article states that there is a 15% tax on "liquor by the drink" in addition to the 9.25% sales tax. The Liquor-by-the-Drink tax applies to mixed drinks, wine or beer that have an alcohol content above 8%. I'm pretty sure that there was a similar tax when I lived there in the 80's and 90's. There just wasn't such a thing as 8% beer in any of the bars back then! If they're tacking that on to your Bud Lite bill, they're cheatin'.

I ended up finding the info on a TN government site. I don't have an ad blocker installed on my phone.

I just tried it on my computer, which does have ad blocker installed, and the article came up, but with the banner saying it looks like I have an ad blocker installed and asking to subscribe. I was able to clear the banner. But I did find all the info on a different site.