The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "You Go Around" - Amber Digby - Tommy Detamore Steel
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 9:00 am    

It's been raining for weeks here in NH. Meanwhile my TX steel buddies are broiling in the heat. Since mowing and house painting aren't happening, I decided to put my now webbed feet on the pedals and fire up the steel. This cut is off Amber Digby's "Heroes, Mentors, and Friends: The Legends Project" - an album of duets with some of her heroes. Tommy Detamore and Jim Loessburg handle the steel on the album and there's lots of great licks throughout - you know I have a weakness for honky tonk steel! I got into trying to figure out some of Tommy's backup licks on "You Go Around" featuring Amber and Johnny Rodriguez and next thing I knew, I tabbed out the entire song. Hope the tab is close, TD 🙂
Here it is on youtube. The "G" Lever on the tab raises string 1 a full tone, string 2 a half-tone, and lowers string 6 a full tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt_VyaZSPWo

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 6:26 pm    

Nice tab work and great steel playing.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2023 7:23 am    

Very nice indeed and thanks for taking the time to put this together and post! I really like Tommy's playing and this is also a great album. There's another song on that album "Under These Conditions" that has this wicked lead into the tag on the very last chorus that he does ( the "seasick" lick Smile ). In your studies of his playing, have you any idea what he's doing there? .. Question

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 9:32 am    

Hey Gary and Mark, thanks for your nice comments.

Mark: I think this is the lick you're after at 3:30 of "Under These Conditions". Hopefully it's close - maybe TD will chime in if I'm way off! It's kinda tough to tab out but see if this works. There's some sliding without picking going on and it sounds really cool. (I call them "smears" - Steve Palousek does them a lot as well).

note: if you raise string 1 (+1) and string 2 (+1/2) AND lower string 6 (-1) with your G lever, you may want to block string 6 when you're raising string 1 at the 8th fret.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2023 11:50 am    

Hi Jeff ... Yes! That's it, and your tab is quite clear. Thanks a ton! I guess the "seasick" lick wasn't really the best description Oh Well . That little phrase Tommy does on the steel has just an exquisite amount of tension, and is placed perfectly.
Unfortunately for me, the "G" lever is on the floor to the left of my A pedal (similar floor to Tommy White's, only Emmons instead of Day) so grabbing A, B, and G is not something I could do. So that last G13th is out of reach for me, but the descending bit that precedes it is something I will definitely experiment with. Thanks again for doing this. Much appriciated. Very Happy Mark