The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Dressen
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2023 7:27 pm    

Legendary Austin TX Western Swing bandleader Al Dressen has passed away July 22 2023 at age 73.

Al led his band, The Super Swing Revue, for decades in Central Texas while promoting western swing non-stop, starting the Texas Western Swing Hall of Fame, and gigging at venues large and small.

He had many legends of the music we love play with his band, among them Herb Remington, Leon Rausch, Johnny Gimble, and Jimmy Day. Also the finest of Austin TX musicians worked with Al over the decades. The list is really too long post here, but if you go to Facebook and enter his name you'll see a plethora of photos showing his band colleagues over the years.

Texas and Western Swing have lost a great bandleader, singer, and proponent of the music. RIP, "Ol' Al"... we'll miss ya, brother.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2023 4:28 am    

Well. Damn. A reminder I need to get myself down to Sam's Town Point and see as many experienced steelers as possible.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2023 6:25 am    

OH my Heart is Heavy. He was always so helpful to me and I learned a ton from him from the couple times I got to sit in with him and his great love for some great music. Thank you Al for who you were to me; I can never forget you my Brother. RIP.
Ricky Davis

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2023 9:07 am    

So sad.

73 is waaaaay too young.

~Lee

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 1:36 pm    

Al called me just a few weeks ago to play a gig--I was already booked and couldn't do it. Too bad as, for years, I'd wanted to play with Al and his band of usually top tier players. I only got to know Al a few years ago but he seemed so genuine and dedicated to Texas swing music. His memorial will be well attended. I'm sorry I'll be on vacation. Hopefully there will be video of this gathering at the world famous Broken Spoke.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 1:53 pm    

I believe there will also be a memorial event at Sam's Town Point, Al's regular gig of late. More info later.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?