The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gretsch model 6188 (Non cutaway style)
Charles Breitbart

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2023 7:34 am    

Hoping you guys can help with value, this was one of the guitars that my father-in-law had and he passed in 2013. It was one of his pride and joy pieces. He was a pedal steel player and spent a lot of time on this forum when he stopped playing. Thanks for any guidance that might be offered to us.

Serial number 5952
Model 6188

Charles
cr.breitbart@gmail.com

Picture file

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2023 8:44 am    

Charles,
Suggest you post this on Gretsch Guitar Fans on Facebook. I’m betting you’ll get some good price info there…Good Luck!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2023 9:52 am    

Is this guitar for sale? This section is for selling non-steel musical instruments.

This is a hard one to assess. There weren't a lot made, there aren't any 1:1 comparables out there. On the good side, it appears to have original DeArmond Dynasonic pickups and a Bigsby - do you know if everything is original? On the downside, single cutaway is not as desirable to most guitarists.

To make any type of serious assessment, a lot more details are needed. Originality, condition, playability, lack of common vintage Gretsch issues like binding rot, and so on, are paramount. This is not, IMO, gonna fetch anything like the kind of money the more desired models like the 6120, 6121, Duo Jet, Country Gentleman, White Falcon, even the Tennessean, and so on, will get. But if it's all original and in good shape without needing repairs, there will be people interested in it.

The closest comparable I can find is a Gretsch-made Bacon Belmont. The same outfit had what appears to be the same guitar on reverb 7 years ago for $1495 - https://reverb.com/item/1781918-1950-s-gretsch-bacon-belmont - and on their website for $2495 now - https://emeraldcityguitars.com/products/1950s-gretsch-bacon-belmont. Of course, I can't be sure it's the same guitar, nor do we know what has transpired in the last 7 years - was it sold and then bought back, has it just been sitting, what have you.

I have had a lot of Gretsches, vintage and reissue, over the years. My take is that there is not a great market for anything but the most popular models, but they are cool vintage guitars and will sell to the right person for the right price.