The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Granite Tone Bar in Progress - UPDATED!!
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 1:53 pm    

OK, So I'm OLD and weird!! This Tone Bar is a work in progress made from granite just less than 3/4" thick - Still got a lot of polishing to do and will post a pic when done - Working this stuff is SLOOOOW going but it's another project to hopefully keep me out of trouble!! Obviously most everyone would like to have a size & shape to fit their needs but I'm going to keep this first one kind a basic to start with - I've got more granite than I'll ever be able to use so I might make another - Just thought some players might be interested in looking.

Last edited by Dennis Brooker on 12 Jun 2023 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2023 1:54 pm    

I'm very interested to hear how it sounds, with the large crystals of minerals in the granite vs the very small crystals in steel or the amorphous ceramics. I hope you'll post a sound bite when you've finished it.

Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2023 2:33 pm     Sound Bite?

David Becker wrote:
I'm very interested to hear how it sounds, with the large crystals of minerals in the granite vs the very small crystals in steel or the amorphous ceramics. I hope you'll post a sound bite when you've finished it.

I'm afraid with me just starting to play again after a many year absence a sound bite might not be of help....But we'll see.

If I get another one done I might provide it to someone with more experience and expertise so they can "play" with it.

Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2023 11:14 am     Granite Bar #1 UPDATED!

Here's a pic of the bar that IMHO I improved - The sides are now rougher which makes it easier for me to hold (I had surgery on my left hand & elbow so I have some difficulty with my grip at times) - THANKS for looking!