The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fuzz/Distortion Pedals
Kristen King

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2023 5:02 pm    

I've been lurking this site for a long time but it's my first time posting. I was wondering what kind of fuzz or distortion pedals people were running if any. I'm probably a lot younger than a lot of members here and my interests probably differ in terms of genre. I'm big into old country music like Hank Williams, Faron Young, and Johnny Cash but I'm also big into alt country, cowpunk, black metal, and doom metal. I have used a number of high gain distortion and fuzz pedals over the years with pedal steel. I am currently using a Keeley Moon OP-amp fuzz which is similar to the OP-amp Big Muffs but with bigger low end and a three way mids switch.

I have used a number of others such as a Boss FZ-2, Boss HM-2 (which is a pedal that is infamous for being the sound of Swedish death metal in the 90s), Nano Big Muff Pi, TC Electronics Dark Matter (which is sort of a Plexi sounding pedal), and a few others.

I have played steel guitar with some alt country and indie rock bands and I also play it in my own black metal band on occasion and so the way I typically use the distortion on steel guitar is for playing power chords on the low strings. You obviously have a big A power chord on the low strings of the C6 neck when engaging the H pedal but I also have a low B and F# as the 12th and 11th strings on my extended E9 neck which allows low power chords without having to fold down the pedal. This allows you to play big rock, metal, and hardcore riffs similarly to a down-tuned guitar.

I don't know if anyone else here uses the steel guitar in that way but I would imagine that some people at least use distortion or fuzz boxes in some capacity on the instrument whether it's for riffs or lead work so I was wondering what people were using in the current year.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 7:19 am    

I've used a lot of different distortion/fuzz/overdrives on lap and pedal steel. I always end up coming back to the original Tech21 Sansamp. It's really versatile but not very intuitive.

I usually have it near my right hand rather than on the floor so I can make adjustments on the fly.

I still use a Fulltone GT-500 with separate overdrive and distortion sections with very intuitive controls. They can be used separately or in series in either order. It's very versatile and is good for getting a distortion into an overdriven amp amp sound.

I use both on a universal with a low B that drops to G# and they both handle the low end just fine. Power chords are no problem at all.

Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 7:29 am    

I'm using a Sarno Earth Drive and a JRocket Archer Icon(Klon Clone). I hit my distortion/od pedals after my steel, before my volume pedal.

Gordon

This was an old rig from about 10 years ago...but still had the earth drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzEhsS-2EBU

Gordon

Kristen King

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 10:21 am    

Gordon Hartin wrote:
I hit my distortion/od pedals after my steel, before my volume pedal.

I would imagine that that's how most people use them but I'm sure people do it the other way as well. You're probably aware of the difference if you've tried both but I do want to explain it for anyone else that might read this and doesn't know the difference.

The difference for anyone that is wondering is that dirt before the volume pedal means that the signal distorts and then the volume pedal makes that distorted sound quieter or louder. On the other hand, putting the dirt pedal after the volume pedal means that the volume pedal affects the amount of signal going into the dirt pedal and therefore mainly changes the amount of gain although there can still be some change in volume depending on the pedal. But it's mainly a change to gain and more so when using a higher gain distortion rather than a fairly light overdrive.

This is similar to how guitarists use the volume knob on the guitar to clean up a dirt pedal. The same thing is obviously possible on a steel guitar that has volume knobs. One thing to keep in mind (which a lot of guitarists don't understand) is that, when playing with dirt, the volume knob doesn't control the volume since the dirt pedal compresses the signal. Some players use their volume knob to boost volume for lead work and some like it for volume swells if they don't use a volume pedal. The swell works a little bit with a dirt pedal after it but not the same as when playing clean.

Just something to be aware of for anyone that has tried dirt pedals and had an issue with it or anyone that hasn't tried it and is curious to how it works and what order to put the pedals in. Pedal order in general matters quite a bit. Most steel players don't use as many pedals as guitar players but some steel players may use effects either on steel or on their electric guitars.

Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 10:28 am    

What I think the biggest difference is on electric guitar it would not be uncommon for your volume knob to be all the way up, but on Pedal Steel it would be pretty rare for the volume pedal to be on full volume.

Gordon

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 5:59 pm    

I'm an old dude, and not really that great a player. But I've probably done more experimenting with different sounds than most players out there, so here's my thoughts:

I always found the amp and its settings far more important than the brand of fuzz. Do your tone-sculpting with the amp, not the brand of fuzz or overdrive. You need a good amp, preferably around 100 or more watts. (I use a Stereo Chorus 212, 120 watts/channel.) My go-to fuzz is an old Bosstone, but my secret to a good, solid, high-impact fuzz sound is to pull the mids on the amp way down, and jack up the bass. This gives real emphasis and power to the sound, and helps boost those low overtones that add body and thickness. I also found that running the fuzz into a phase pedal (I mostly use the MXR Phase 100) running slow works exceptionally well, and the combination of the two together gives me some really exceptional sounds. Also, I think a stereo amp is preferable, but not really required. I have no problem getting a good metal sound if the amp is capable. I would run the guitar right into the fuzz, and then to the volume pedal. This allows changing the amount of volume without affecting the fuzz/distortion sound. So run in this order:

Guitar-distortion/fuzz-volume pedal-phaser-amp.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2023 6:35 pm    

Lately I’ve been putting OD before AND after the volume pedal to get a variety of sounds. I use BB Preamp by Xotic, Grass by Hotone, Triangle Buff by Mooer, the Dude by J Rockett, Plimsoul by Fultone and the good ol Boss OD-1.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2023 11:02 am    

Shameless plug for my line of germanium gain pedals, 1/2/3 transistor based on the Range Master, Fuzz Face, and Tone Bender, respectively.
I use them with my steels and that was part of my design task- to make pedals that my lap and pedal steels get along with.
No steel demos, but you can hear how they sound with guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaeClhII-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsoLg4__qts&t=36s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4TvdbxqibY&t=16s

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2023 1:29 pm    

Here is a solo pedalsteel piece I did a while back with a tube screamer. It's based on difference tones.

https://youtu.be/yLO-Yh9QDgs

https://open.spotify.com/track/14qpV6Snv8ovaG5fnmEff0?si=a5c2ac78901c4635

I'm using an Analogman King of Tone these days and a Sarno Earth Drive.

I work with metal/noise bands and with some pretty wild Jazz guys regularly.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2023 6:03 am    

I recently acquired a JHS Volture that allows you to drop the voltage on an analog fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedal.

I use to hear people comment that the best a fuzz pedal sounded was just before the battery died and that's what this gismo does and does well. Every fuzz type pedal I ever used with pedal steel sounded like a bees nest on steroids especially if you are using a solid state amp.It has an off on switch so you can hear the difference
between optimum 9 volts then dial it back with the knob to get desired feel as the voltage drops. There is a video out there on Youtube. This device only works with analog type pedals and not digital pedals. YMMV but this little box is staying on my board.

Rob Morrison

New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2023 9:20 am    

I’m speaking out of turn here as someone who’s still a relative noob when it comes to pedal steel in general. That said, I’ve had quite a bit of experience with running lap steel through various distortion/fuzz pedals, and my preference has tended to be Big Muff-style stompboxes for that sound.

Obviously though, psg has a very different frequency range than 6-string lap steel, not to mention that psg pickups can sound pretty different from lap steel pickups…aaaand then you get to the amp component. If you’re using a bright solid state amp, a fuzz might sound pretty harsh in that context.

Curious to follow this thread to see what others use. I’ve always been a huge fan of the fuzz tones that Neil Flanz and Sneaky Pete made use of.

Kristen King

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2023 12:08 pm    

This is an example of how I actually use fuzz on pedal steel.

https://vocaroo.com/16mcwvcwL2Zc

The same thing works on lap steel tunings with low power chords on the bottom such as open D. But going to low B, A, or G# gives you a very low range. You can do similar riffs with a down tuned guitar or a seven string or baritone, but the portamento between chords adds an extra dimension to the sound that is ideal for playing doom.

But it works well in a rock, alt country, cowpunk, etc context as well and when playing with bands in those styles, most guitarists won't be playing down tuned or extended range guitars and so you can get down for low power chords that the guitarist can't reach. Or sometimes you play with guitarists that don't really play distorted guitar. There's a lot of places where it can be useful and fill a niche that the band is lacking.

The way I have my E9 tuned, I also have easy major, minor, sus2, and add9 chords on the low strings. The A pedal raises the tenth string which gives the sus2 on the low strings. The ninth string adds a minor third to the power chord. The eight string with the E lever to lower the string half a step gives you a major third to add to the power chord. And then either third can be combined with the sus2 to create an add9 or madd9 chord. This is useful in some situations.

An important part of using fuzz boxes with steel guitar is using the tone control. I find myself running my steel amp with the bass cut and the treble and presence boosted and so it's easy for fuzzes to be bright. But have a passive tone control cuts treble and shifts to a more low end heavy tone. You can also work the amp EQ like Donny described although this can be tricky because I find that the EQ settings I like for a clean sound are different than the EQ settings I like for a fuzz sound are different settings and many steel guitar amps don't have multiple channels with separate EQ. So I find that the best option is to set the amp to where it sounds good clean and then use the tone knob on the fuzz to cut highs and boost lows.

Some fuzzes like the FZ-2 have an active low control that can also be used to boost bass instead of using a passive tone control. They're not super common on fuzz pedals though but are fairly common on distortion pedals and so you can dial in some big sounds.

Although the obvious issue with running a bass heavy fuzz is that you start infringing on the bass player's sonic territory and too much low end can turn a mix to mud and so you still need some high end to the fuzz to add definition.

But it's something that a lot of steel players can't really fit into their music, especially when playing in country bands. Country rock bands might be more into it an alt country or indie rock bands can dig it. Even the occasional folk punk band. But like I said, doom is, to me, where this kind of thing can really fit in.

Jeremy Reeves

Chatham, IL, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2023 12:10 pm    

I like the old bosstone plug-in fuzz. Easy to use, easy to adjust on the fly, simple setup, and didn't have annoying overtones that I experienced with other dirt boxes.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2023 6:20 pm    

I use a Digitech Tone driver before the volume pedal. It's cheap and I like the sound, sustain and bite.

I've used the Ibanez Tube Screamers, and many others over the years...

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2023 11:19 am    

I use a Jam Rattler pedal before my volume pedal for a rock band I play with. The rattler is basically a boutique Rat pedal and I love it.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2023 6:55 pm    

What I noticed, between guitars and pedal steel pickups... is the guitars, like Fenders, are around 11-12K, and my pickup on my Carter is more like 18k....

This always made using guitar distortion units very hard to control... the best I found was the "OCD" pedal... but still hard to dial in

Brad Sarno (look for his name on this forum), not only builds electronic devices for pedal steel... but HE IS A PEDAL STEELER.

So, be sure to check out his "Earth Drive"... in my experience it is made to accept the high output of the pedal steel guitar PU....
I always went before the volume pedal with all my FX... otherwise your FX sound "muffled", IMHO.

Now with all that said... I now use a Line 6 HX Stomp, for all my FX.

Hope this helps.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2023 9:43 am    

Ahhh....again my favorite subject, Effect Pedals.

I can pass along what's been explained to me, and what's been slapped into my head, about these devices. My very first "Fuzz" unit was a Maestro, then i got an Arbitar Fuzz-Face because Dave Davies of the Kinks used one. Anyways today for Fuzz & Distortion I use a SMS Solar Flare. For OverDrive I use a Laurence Petross Designs 68 Plexi Pedal. The LPD 68 Plexi, offers not only singing, sweet, raunchy, filthy, make your ears bleed, in your face overdrive, but with the twist of one knob, it doubles for me....as a fantastic, sweet sounding singing Violin Bowing effect. As a side note, i own a classic Marshall 1968 50 Watt Plexi, the finest guitar/steel rock amplifier on the planet, they'll bury me with mine. Although I keep the plexi home safe and out of the clubs.

One thing I've been told by many a young up and coming Rock guitarist hopeful college brat, is your amplifier is as important as your effect unit. Just remember all distortion devices are not created equal.

Anywho..... What I've personally been shown, and found through many many hours of trial & error, is what starts the magic for me from these little boxes, is "Amplifier Settings". I've noticed so many Pedal Slide Guitarist (Pedal Steel Guitarist) hook these gadgets up, like distortion Pedals, Dobro simulator boxes, phasers, Flangers etc...never touch their amps, and actually have expectations somethings gonna sound like a dobro, or my fuzz will sound like Robert Randolph's. Some postings on the forum, that still make me smile and brightens my day start like....
"How Do I Get The Emmon's or the Hughey, or Day, or so & so's...sound. Bless their hearts. Yearrrrs ago i asked a player how he figured out a C6th lick off a John Hughey album. The player respectfully told me to "ask John". I got the point quickly.
Folks, taking an effect unit, removing the back off it to drill a hole in it, putting on a leg holder, strapping it to your steel leg, hooked up by two Hosa cables off amazon sadly won't ever make ya happy. So much more to it then that. I wish all players the best of luck, and clear roads ahead on your journey to "That Sound". As Andy once said to Gomer...."Don't Over Expect".

LPD Pedals
https://www.lpdpedals.com/

Phil McKnight 68 Plexi Pedal Demo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsKsYFG-iRQ

LPD 68 Plexi Demo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vulTF03xow0

SMS Solar Flare Demo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1omqOjfWg

George Erdman

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 7:22 am    

I was recently turned on to Crowther Effects out of New Zealand, specifically the Crowther Audio "Hot Cake", an overdrive that becomes nicely fuzzy...https://www.pedal-of-the-day.com/category/brands/crowther-audio/

I also like the BigFoot Engineering "King Fuzz", very simple but different...https://www.bigfootengineering.com/fuzz.html#/

Zoots Houston

Kingston, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2023 5:52 am    

I play mainly in “post-punk” or other noisy rock contexts.

I often feel overdrives or more mild distortions aren’t really as useful as fuzz or more extreme distortions for steel.
I am quite fond of octave fuzzes. Bob Hoffnar mentioned difference tones and that’s a big reason I like octave fuzzes as difference tones are pretty exaggerated with most octave fuzzes. I can play strings 10 and 8 (B & E) and the perceived fundamental is often E and then hit my Franklin pedal to lower the B to an A and now the perceived fundamental is often the A above the previously perceived E if that makes sense. You can lower or raise a string and sometimes the perceived note actually moves in the opposite direction. I also like getting all sorts of phantom bass notes on higher strings while going higher along the neck. I also like playing single string lines and then once you hit a second note your tone can change dramatically. It’s reminiscent of multiphonics on a sax for me.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2023 12:15 pm    

A lot of how distortion pedals work has to do with the amp.
To put it bluntly, A good tube amp will make distortion pedals sound better than a cheap solid-state amp.
Different pick-ups work differently with different amps.
I like my Hermida Audio Mosferatu for steel and XR-16 PU.
Humbuckers work better than most single coils for distortion.
I run my distortion before the volume pedal.
Your mileage may vary

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2023 2:41 pm    

I use either my Sarno Earth Drive, or the Nutra Drive in my Benade PF ! both are a little more creamy and perfect for PSG, without breaking up too much - love both of them.. I run both of them between the pickup and VP.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2023 7:02 pm    

I use an Earth Drive for grit

I use a VL Bosstone for fuzz

Joe Wright gets good sounds out of a RAT, so I suppose a DS-1 would work there too
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/