The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Choices
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 11:44 am    

Hope everyone’s doing well…

Here’s an article about volume pedals for pedal steel guitar: https://playpedalsteel.com/pedal-steel-volume-pedals/

I’m curious if anyone uses volume pedals that aren’t from Goodrich or Hilton? Also, what do you like or dislike about the volume pedal you’re using, or ones you’ve used in the past?

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 12:01 pm     Moyo

I use a Moyo sometimes. I like that it is small and light and has a tuner out. The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t feel as sturdy beneath the foot as a full sized volume pedal.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 12:42 pm    

If you've got deep pockets there's the Telonics pedal.
Erv

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 1:36 pm    

Moyo.
I came from an ernie ball.
Took about a week to get used to the size differece.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 3:16 pm     Wow

I never like anything new, but I sure like the MOYO vp!

SH

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 3:24 pm    

I use passive Goodrich pedals for the most part. I have also used the big original Ernie Ball...still do sometimes but I'm not a tall guy, just need to compensate the eq.

The Stage One pedal seems to be quite popular here at a reasonable price.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 4:35 pm    

There is also the Stage One volume pedal.

https://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/pedals

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 4:51 pm    

Just picked up a Lehle 90...have yet to test it out. But will & will report back. (Currently a Hilton user).

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2023 12:39 pm    

I’ve used a Fender volume pedal (the same pedal) for over 50 years! From my point of view, it’s the best pot-pedal ever designed.. It’s the lowest profile and the best shielded, and it’s a snap to service. It also pivots in the middle, and not near the back, so ankle movement is reduced and it’s perfectly balanced, making it stay wherever you put it (no tension spring adjustments needed). Lastly, the string is spring-loaded, so there’s no worrying about the string stretching and getting loose.

Use whatever type or brand you like. I’ve tried most of them, and I don’t much care for other designs, since this one works so well for me.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 4:05 am    

The Telonics is everything they say it is but, being too lazy in my old age to deal with plugging it in, I only use it for big gigs. Instead, I still use either a Goodrich 120 or the low-profile 120. Built like a tank, take it out of the pack-a-seat, throw it on the floor, plug in and go. I do carry a Moyo as a backup because it’s size doesn’t take up much space. Never had to use it, though.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 5:29 am    

I played my old Sho~Bud FULL Profile pedal from the early 70's till maybe 2012, still with a good sounding Allen Bradley Pot in it. But the height of it was starting to bother my somewhat stiff ankle, so went to an L120 Goodrich and then FINALLY a Telonic's Multi-Taper and then a Goodrich Omni, and THEN traded the Omni for another Telonic's VP.

ALL good pedals, but I REALLY Love my Telonic's, which to me is King of the Hill.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 7:03 am    

It should be for what you paid for it. Rolling Eyes
Erv

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 8:03 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
It should be for what you paid for it. Rolling Eyes
Erv

How do you know what I paid for it/them? Laughing Laughing Laughing
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 8:14 am    

I'd say at least double what the other pedals are selling for. Whoa!
Erv

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 11:58 am    

I’m going to look deeper at the MOYO, Stage One, and Telonics options. I really enjoy the tone of the Goodrichs, and the clarity & frequency response of the Hiltons.

Jerry, how did you compensate the EQ on the original Ernie Ball? I’ve found this pedal to be great for regular guitar, but definitely noticed how much frequency response I’d lose when using for pedal steel (high-end especially).

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 12:33 pm     Re: Volume Pedal Choices

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:
I’m curious if anyone uses volume pedals that aren’t from Goodrich or Hilton?
My preferred VP is most definitely none of the above…
https://www.gunlaug.com/contents/music/sound-of-pedal-steel-guitar.html#p23

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:
Also, what do you like or dislike about the volume pedal you’re using, or ones you’ve used in the past?
I like having the minimum volume control on the VP.
Would not have minded side-mounted Jacks on my preferred VPs, but have never seen the front-mounted ones as a problem.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 12:38 pm    

I got a Telonics and was a big fan, until I realized that my Moyo backup pedal is more than good enough...nice feel, simple, as well built as the Telonics...less to go wrong, although the Telonics is made well enough....anyway Telonics is gone and I have 2 Moyos now...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 12:47 pm    

Two for less than the price of one, way to go! Very Happy
Erv

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 1:47 pm    

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:
Jerry, how did you compensate the EQ on the original Ernie Ball? I’ve found this pedal to be great for regular guitar, but definitely noticed how much frequency response I’d lose when using for pedal steel (high-end especially).

Understood. It's pretty obvious when you switch from the 500K ohm Goodrich et al. pot pedals to the EB 250K. I just never had a real problem once I got used to it. Boosting the amp highs and adjust the mids and bass along with George L's cables, a Matchbox with a tone control or offboard multi-fx units.

Some players just can't get used to the warmer tone and sub out the 250 K pot for a 500K or now, the 470K Dunlop.

Other complaints about the EB is the height and travel for especially tall players.

I keep it in my possibles bag as a spare and have had to resort to it forgetting my Goodrich which is my first choice. I just get used to it and play on.

Flip Brown

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 4:55 pm     The Lehle volume pedal

The Lehle mono pedal works for me. It has adjustable tension, adjustable gain, no strings to wear out, and with their attachment bracket I can swivel it to match my duck-footed natural alignment.
MSA Millennium SD-10 #22, Fender Steel King with Eminence EPS-15C speaker, Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal, Sarno Black Box, Baby Bloomer, Sarno Earth Drive, EHX Mel 9, EHX Small Stone, Mooer Chorus, Keeley Caverns, Clinesmith bar, Acri picks, Nioma lap steel, Regal resonator, and a whole bunch of other instruments.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 8:48 pm    

Played a Goodrich for years. Traded it for my THIRD Moyo.
I love those things. They're tiny so they fit in the seat, and I've always played in my socks so my toes wrap around the top so it's like I'm controlling it with my hand-Amazing. I use my third one for my home setup, and take the other two to gigs, both mounted next to each other on a rubber pad with velcro. I use one for volume and the other for effects control (like wah or reverb intensity). If the volume should break (like never), I can just move the jacks.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 11:24 pm    

Quote:
I’m curious if anyone uses volume pedals that aren’t from Goodrich or Hilton? Also, what do you like or dislike about the volume pedal you’re using, or ones you’ve used in the past?

I mostly use my old Sho Bud pedals, still intact with their original Allen-Bradley 500K potentiometers. I haven't found anything I like better. I have found a few of those original potentiometers over the last 10-15 years, so I think I'm set for life. Sorry, not enough to part with any.

I have a pile of volume pedals. Some came with guitars or steels, some I found at guitar shows or flea markets, a couple from the forum. I used an Ernie Ball for guitar for years, so when I started, that's what I had. The 250K potentiometer did suck the high end out of my highly-wound pedal steel pickups. A buffer will fix that, but I'd prefer not to have to use one. I still have an old EB or two (with the jacks on the side) that I sometimes use for guitar. I have an older Goodrich or two, but at least one if not both need new pots - they're not the old AB pots.

I don't think it matters all that much what volume pedal I use, as long as it is solid and has a 500K pot in a standard type of circuit. Otherwise, everything else is personal ergonomics. I don't worry about using a low-profile pedal because I raise my pedal steels enough so they're comfortable with whatever pedal I decide to use.

Active pedals are fine, I've tried a few. But I actually like the brilliance to come down just a touch when pulling the volume back. Actually, I should say that I like the brilliance to go up a touch when I push the volume up. No batteries, no power cables, no muss, no fuss. I know people complain about the pots, the strings, and so on. But I think they're relatively easy to deal with, and I have a few of these pedals so I always have a spare ready to go.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 6:38 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:

I mostly use my old Sho Bud pedals...

Me too. Except for on my Emmons pedal guitars. On those, I use the units that hang from the pedalbar, so eloquently designed by the man himself. Most have their original AB pots, but on a couple of them I have installed the Bradshaw/Dunlop pots, which sound fine to these old ears.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 11:11 am    

I don't care for an active pedal. I bought a MOYO as a backup for my old Sho-Bud pedal. Not long after, I put the Sho-Bud on the shelf, bought another MOYO to back up my MOYO.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 11:09 am    

Dave wrote:
But I actually like the brilliance to come down just a touch when pulling the volume back. Actually, I should say that I like the brilliance to go up a touch when I push the volume up. No batteries, no power cables, no muss, no fuss. I know people complain about the pots, the strings, and so on. But I think they're relatively easy to deal with, and I have a few of these pedals so I always have a spare ready to go.

Me too..

I've got a couple of old Emmons volume pedals. I found a stash of NOS A-B pots and I think I'm good to go also... Although it took some getting used to initially, I like the relatively short travel. The drop-pin mount to the pedal bar is also a nice feature when you have to schlep your guitar on and off stage in a hurry for a band swap, as is the trend around most of the Austin clubs these days.