The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3rds or 6ths?
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 5:11 pm    

got a question for yall , When playing a single note melody and you want to harmonize the notes what do you use 3rds or 6ths?

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 10:43 pm    

3rds, 6ths or 10ths or some combination of those would be my choice. It all depends on the melody line and what else is gonna be present in the arrangement. Too much paralell harmony is something to be aware of as it can become a little boring for the listener. Octaves can sometimes be very useful as well here and there instead of 3rds, 6ths or 10ths.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2023 8:29 am    

A 6th is just an upside-down 3rd, and a 10th is just a 3rd’s distant relative.
4ths and 5ths are usually the perfect strangers.
Tritones are criminals.
2nd’s and 9ths are leftovers, sometimes stale and other times quite tasty.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 31 May 2023 1:09 pm    

3rds and 6ths are the same, just inverted. But, just like everything in music appearing to "be the same" however, they sound very differently.

When you listen to Jerry Byrd, then Lloyd Green and BE, you hear that they alternate every so many "picks" from 3rds to 6ths and back... Byrd and Emmons are noted to also play very neatly in "4ths", which are inverted 5ths extensively sometimes. Evidently, that takes a solid bass and accompaniment structure behind the soloist, not to sound "eerie" or "hollow".
When you analyze JB's solo albums, you'll find that in most tunes he uses EACH technique: Single notes, a section with hammer-ons-&-pull-offs, playing in 3rds & 6th, a run in 4ths/5ths and then some chord melody. His rendition of Danny Boy is a text book demonstration thereof.

Jazz guitarist Joe Pass stated that he alternates bass line fragments with single note playing, harmony and chord melody to give "the IMPRESSION" of playing solo and accompaniment at the same time. He was known to do concerts ALONE, on a 6 string guitar. That's how he could.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 8:49 am    

I'm confused by what seems to be some different concepts or terminology being used here than what I have read in various music theory books.
Perhaps there is a new way of counting scale degrees that I am not aware of, so perhaps one of you folks who are more steeped in music theory than I am can please help me understand it. Smile

It's always been my understanding that scale degrees are always counted upwards: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
For example, a major triad consists of scale degrees 1, 3, and 5; in the key of C, that would be C-E-G.

● And no matter how you invert C-E-G to E-G-C or G-C-E, or repeat certain notes: G-C-E-G or E-G-C-E, it is still a C major triad--isn't that correct?

● And if you label the scale degrees in an inversion such as G-C-E-G', it would be 5-1-3-5, even though the first 5th degree (G) is an octave below the second 5th degree (G')--isn't that also correct?

When I hear someone talk about harmony with a 6th, that would imply something very different to me, since (counting upward) a 6th chord consists of 1-3-5-6; C-E-G-A in the key of C.

It seems to me then, in answer to the OP's question that "The most common harmonies are thirds and fifths", since those are the two harmonies found in a major triad: 1-3-5, no matter in what register they are voiced--or am I missing something?

Inquiring minds want to know. Smile

- Dave

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 9:47 am    

Dave Magram wrote:
I'm confused by what seems to be some different concepts or terminology being used here than what I have read in various music theory books.
Perhaps there is a new way of counting scale degrees that I am not aware of, so perhaps one of you folks who are more steeped in music theory than I am can please help me understand it. Smile

It's always been my understanding that scale degrees are always counted upwards: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
For example, a major triad consists of scale degrees 1, 3, and 5; in the key of C, that would be C-E-G.

● And no matter how you invert C-E-G to E-G-C or G-C-E, or repeat certain notes: G-C-E-G or E-G-C-E, it is still a C major triad--isn't that correct?

● And if you label the scale degrees in an inversion such as G-C-E-G', it would be 5-1-3-5, even though the first 5th degree (G) is an octave below the second 5th degree (G')--isn't that also correct?

When I hear someone talk about harmony with a 6th, that would imply something very different to me, since (counting upward) a 6th chord consists of 1-3-5-6; C-E-G-A in the key of C.

It seems to me then, in answer to the OP's question that "The most common harmonies are thirds and fifths", since those are the two harmonies found in a major triad: 1-3-5, no matter in what register they are voiced--or am I missing something?

Inquiring minds want to know. Smile

- Dave

You are absolutely correct as to scale/chord degrees. DEGREES and your view on chord inversions.

Degrees are “measured” as “Intervals” which is ALLWAYS tethered to a ROOT of the scale, chord or key center.

An INTERVAL is the ditance between 2 points which may not always include a root.
So, while in -for the sake of an example- Major chord, the distance from the Root to the Maj. 3rd IS a Maj. 3rd, the Interval between the Maj. 3rd and the Natural 5th is a minor 3rd, and the interval between the 5th Degree and the Natural 6th is a 2nd.
So we identify the SPACE of harmonies (two notes) using Diatonic “language”.

As such, a harmony (interval) of “a 6th” could be looked as a minor 3rd by inverting the Root to the other side. And a b6th harmony, leaves a Major 3rd Interval from the 6th to the root, and a Natural 5th can be used as a 4th and vice versa.

You are also correct that typically Degrees are counted “up” for MOVEMENT.

BUT, when you look for a quick “6th” from where ever you are, don’t you rather look to “the left” and count 3 frets down (-m3rd)?

… JD

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 3:47 pm    

My understanding of basic western music is that degrees of the major scale and the modes therein are numbered 1-7 and then start over at the octave. Interval numbers, however, can go beyond the octave. That’s how we end up with chords with names like B11 and E13.

So if you want to harmonize your scale in 13ths (an octave past the 6th) there is no law against it. Just go 13 scale degrees past your starting note and play them together.

Dave Magram

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 10:34 pm    

Hi JD,

Thanks for your quick reply confirming my understanding of how scale degrees are counted.

I also wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me then, in answer to the OP's question that "The most common harmonies are thirds and fifths", since those are the two harmonies found in a major triad: 1-3-5, no matter in what register they are voiced...

Would you also agree with that statement about thirds and fifths being the most common harmony scale degrees?

- Dave

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 5:58 am    

Russell, your inquiry is related to musical choices and options. Lots of great perspectives in the thread here.

Use your ear and play what you feel works best...

Different moments will present different harmonic opportunities in an arrangement or improvisation.

Sometimes the limitations will dictate which way to go.
Cooking up a solo chord / melody arrangement will put you very quickly in touch with this reality... Wink

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 6:22 am    

Dave Magram wrote:
Hi JD,

Thanks for your quick reply confirming my understanding of how scale degrees are counted.

I also wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me then, in answer to the OP's question that "The most common harmonies are thirds and fifths", since those are the two harmonies found in a major triad: 1-3-5, no matter in what register they are voiced...

Would you also agree with that statement about thirds and fifths being the most common harmony scale degrees?

- Dave

3rd/6th and 4th/5th HARMONIES are the most common, yes.
Seconded by Natural 2nds (whole tone) an their "mirrors" (b7ths).
Perhaps the least uses would be the minor-2nd (half tone) where it's mirror would be the Maj 7th really called Natural 7th.
Last but not least, especially in Jazz and Blues (and thus in Country to a certain degree) would be the "TriTone" occurring between a Maj3rd and a b7th... which is a #4th or b5th in size (Interval)... which is the middle of the scale and 3 Whole Tones.

Harmonies however are NOT scale DEGREES, they are INTERVALS (the distance in between the two notes played)! They will PLACE on a certain DEGREE of the scale.
The can be MOVED in certain INTERVALS (example: like 2 frets up, or down).

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is MOVEMENT is also measurable in INTERVALS:

Like a ii-, V7, IMaj sequence: from the ii- to the V7 is "up a 4th" and like wise from a V7 to the Key Center (IMaj in this example) is also "up a 4th"... while the Key tethered DEGREES of that sequence remain ii-, V, I.
ALTHOUGH a ii-, V7, IMaj... may be played moved as a "block" (Sequence) over other degrees of of the piece's Key's degrees... you can often find a ii-, V7, IMay with it's "ii-" actually sitting on the 3rd degree of the actual KEY.
Essentially, that would be a iii-, VI7, II Maj... but for simplification we "think of it" as a ii-, V, I... as the MOVEMENTS inside this sequence remain "up a 4th and up another 4th"... all we know (playing positions relative to each other, and soloing lines) are "transportable" as a "block".

THAT's where intervallic thinking becomes a complete concept. Note names then are reduced to identifying the Key and finding it's starting position on the instrument.

We "measure" INTERVALS using the "ruler" of the Diatonic Scale. It's evidently as somewhat un-even "ruler". But it is what we got.

To your precious question as to counting "up" only:
When playing "graphic" instruments like a keyboard or (Steel)-guitar, we should learn to see the "mirror"-image of every Progression position we are in to the left (down) or the right (up). Evidently, moving a chord up, is 5 frets up (without pedal changes)... but it's "mirrored" position is also a 5th down 7 frets down.
ACROSS the strings the same occurs with 3rds/6ths, 4ths/5ths, 7ths and 2nds and even TriTones. We should "see" the un-played string above or below, which would invert the harmony at any time. THAT's when we can freely swap between the two as we play... what we hear Jerry Byrd and most that followed seamlessly.

oh... we can go on and on with this... Devil

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Last edited by J D Sauser on 5 Jun 2023 5:44 pm; edited 9 times in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 7:43 am    

You got it, JD.
Explaining the difference between intervals and scale degrees is harder to do than understanding it, apparently.

Harmonizing a scale in 6ths just means playing two notes that are 6 degrees of the scale apart.
C D E F G A B
D E F G A B C
E F G A B C D
etc.

Same with 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 13ths…

A 3rd is probably the most common harmony because it is the most easily understood. Chords are built on 3rds. Everyone kinda gets the 1-3-5 chord formula. A small step beyond that is grasping the concept of the separate intervals. From the 1 to the 3 is a 3rd, and from the 3 to the 5 is also a 3rd.

C D E F G A B
D E F G A B C
etc.

From there, you can go all the way down the rabbit hole of theory.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2023 10:08 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
You got it, JD.
Explaining the difference between intervals and scale degrees is harder to do than understanding it, apparently.

Thanks Fred!

I think that the "Nashville"-Number guys, of which some seem to think of numbers in music as a local invention, have a tendency to think of the words "Intervals" and "Degrees" as just some fancy words which are interchangeable. I've heard Pros. to which we all look up to, do that while "explaining" stuff. It can become quite confusing fast.

"Nomenclature" which is just a fancy proper word to describe using the proper fancy words for things which may not be so fancy Very Happy , is after all of essence when communicating and ultimately understanding things which are not all that complicated.
It's when you get into the Jazz cycles that one comes to realize that a peaceful moment with the dictionary could be needed.

I think the most complicated aspect of it all is, that the "rules" we/everybody uses to measure distances, is the irregular Diatonic Major scale.
It takes some brain contortions to get use to calculate "on the spot" distances this irregular "ruler".

... J-D

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Dave Magram

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2023 4:23 pm    

I have been teaching mostly adults (and some kids) guitar, banjo, (and occasionally pedal steel) for many years.

You might be surprised how few adults, even those who play an instrument or sing in church, know that the diatonic scale is simply the do-re-mi notes they learned in grade school, or know that they are called “scale degrees”, or know that the chromatic scale is the Western musical “alphabet”, or know that there is no B# or E# in the chromatic scale, etc.
● So, I gradually teach those basic concepts because these are important concepts to support a common language when playing with other musicians and to understand the “hidden” patterns of music in an easy-to-understand fashion.
● I always try to slip in a bit of what I call “practical bandstand music theory” (chord progressions using the chord number system (I, IV, V) and later, basic chord construction)—even though many people initially seem visibly frightened when I mention the words “music theory”.
● Once they understand these basic concepts, they often tell me what a "light-bulb moment" it was for them.😊

I strive to be a good teacher, and in my experience it is not how much you know that makes a good teacher, it is how well you can simplify complicated concepts to make them easy to understand. Music theory is a complicated concept, especially to people who are not familiar with it.
● I believe the "KISS" principle (Keep It Super Simple) is the most effective way to teach.
● The goal should be explanations that result in “light bulb moments” for your students, not in "baffling black holes” of confusion--wouldn't you agree?

***********************************************************************************************.
The original poster appeared to be asking:“What are the most common notes used to add harmony to a melody note?.”

Although I lay no claim to being a musical theory expert, this is a simple question.

Here is the simple "KISS" answer to the original poster’s apparent question:
“The most common notes used to add harmony to a melody note are the third and fifth scale degrees of the diatonic scale.”

This is a simple and accurate “foundational” (meaning you can build on it) answer to the question, and it has often created a “light bulb moment” for my students.

The evidence for this simple foundational answer is overwhelming: country trio singing, gospel trio and quartet singing, barbershop quartets, folk music and bluegrass trio singing, church choirs and hymnals, the standard “grips” on an E9 pedal steel guitar, etc.
Why? Because major and minor triad chords based on 3rds and 5ths sound most harmonious and pleasing to the human ear, as Pythagoras discovered many centuries ago.

For more info on musical harmony, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony

**********************************************************************************************.
Good teachers do not over-complicate things with confusing terminology and unhelpful explanations. But unfortunately, several posters on this thread have done just that--and never answered the OP's apparent question.

Yes, I do know the difference between “scale degrees” and “intervals”, but I’m not sure some of the posters on this thread do, because they are mixing two related, but not-quite-interchangeable terms and thus creating confusion and bafflement.
It is as if you have asked a petrol station attendant, “How far is it to New York City from here?” and he answers, “It’s 100 miles to NYC and 115.1 miles coming back.”
How can that be? It turns out that his answer is technically true, but what the attendant’s smart-@$$, baffling answer leaves out is that it is 100 land-miles to NYC, and 115.1 nautical miles back. These are two related, but not-quite-interchangeable terms-- unless they are explained and clarified.

“Scale degrees” and “intervals” are also two related, but not-quite-interchangeable terms--unless they are clarified.
According to formal music theory books, melodic intervals between “scale degrees” are properly named in terms of “quality” (such as a "Major Third" or a “Perfect Fourth”, etc.), and are always measured up (ascending) from the tonic note.
“Intervals” are formally measured in semi-tones in either direction--ascending or descending.

Here is how they are related:
● For example, in the key of C, a Perfect Fourth (F) is an interval of 5 semi-tones up (ascending) from the tonic note of C: C#, D, D#, E, F.
● However, if a Perfect Fourth is voiced BELOW the tonic, it is an interval of 7 semi-tones down (descending) from the tonic note of C: B, A#, A, G#, G, F#, F. When intervals are measured descending from the tonic note, it is called an “interval inversion”.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to count the frets from C on your guitar up or down to F, since each fret is a semitone—something I normally do with students when the question of practical application on the instrument comes up.

But when someone asks a very basic question, such as “What are the most common notes used to add harmony to a melody note?”, why over-complicate things with “interval inversions”?
● It is as if a first-grader asks you “What is 2 plus 2?”, and you say, “Let’s solve that with calculus. First, we need to calculate the derivative of X squared, so substituting 2 for X…blah, blah, blah”.

So it would appear that some of the confusing explanations posted on this thread, such as “a harmony (interval) of “a 6th” could be looked as a minor 3rd by inverting the Root to the other side” is using two related, but not-quite-interchangeable terms—without clarifying them, just like in the “land-miles” and “nautical-miles” analogy.
I think I understand what the poster is trying to say in that rather baffling sentence above—but I would never explain it in such a confusing way to one of my students.
● A simpler, more effective way to explain it would be: “As we’ve already discussed, no matter how the notes in a chord are re-sequenced (“inverted”), they still remain the same chord. For example, a C6 chord (C-E-G-A) can be inverted to A-C-E-G, with the 6th scale degree (A) below the root note (C), and it still remains a C6 chord. Let’s listen to how this sounds on your guitar to prove it.”

But why get into “interval inversions” here? That is like using calculus instead of basic addition. And that was not what the OP seemed to be asking about.
**************************************************************************************.
The OP appeared to be asking: “What are the most common notes used to add harmony to a melody?”
But instead of answering his question, several posters over-complicated the issue by getting lost in the unhelpful weeds of “interval inversions”, making smart-@$$ jokes, and even explaining all of the possible notes that one could use as harmony notes in a rather condescending way—without ever simply answering his apparent question: “What are the most common notes used to add harmony to a melody?”

No wonder so many people are afraid of music theory.

-Dave

Last edited by Dave Magram on 4 Jun 2023 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ryan Wells

Midwest, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2023 5:26 pm    

The OP's question was a good one imo. It probably depends on the song style and what the vocal melodies are doing. I recently heard Tommy White say in a video that he uses a lot of sus chords in an attempt to stay out of the singers way. I'm really curious on other's thoughts are on this (maybe that's a different post?). In my personal opinion, I think sus chords can be a more "modern" sound.

Last edited by Ryan Wells on 7 Jun 2023 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2023 5:55 pm    

Quote:
Good teachers do not over-complicate things with confusing terminology and unhelpful explanations. But unfortunately, several posters on this thread have done just that--and never answered the OP's apparent question.

The OP’s question, which wasn’t “What is a 3rd?” or “What is a 6th?”, has been answered many times over in various ways, several of which were in my view somewhat simpler than others.

Harmonizing a scale with 3rds AND 5ths simultaneously is also called a chord scale, and is indeed a common way to do parallel 3-part harmonies in vocal arrangements. But that wasn’t the question either.

The OP was complicated by the fact that it was stated as if there was a correct answer to an “either/or” question, which there wasn’t. A lot of the answers here have been based on assumptions because the question left the door wide open for them to be made. That could be why we haven’t been graced with a response from the author of the OP as to whether any of the answers have been helpful.

You want a simple answer? Do your scale harmonizing in 3rds, then do it in 6ths too. Because you should be able to do both and you will be a better musician if you can.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 5:19 am    

You can do both 3rds or 6ths using the same technique. Play a simple harmonized scale on strings 5 and 3. That is playing in 6ths. Play the exact same thing on strings 5 and 6. That is playing 3rds. You should be able to do either one depending on how you want it to sound.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 10:16 am    

J D Sauser wrote:
Dave Magram wrote:
Hi JD,

I also wrote:
Quote:

- Dave

Perhaps the least uses would be the minor-2nd (half tone) where it's mirror would be the Maj 7th really called Natural 7th.
Last but not least, especially in Jazz and Blues (and thus in Country to a certain degree) would be the "TriTone" occurring between a Maj3rd and a b7th... which is a #4th or b5th in size (Interval)... which is the middle of the scale and 3 Whole Tones.

Harmonies however are NOT scale DEGREES, they are INTERVALS (the distance in between the two notes played)! They will PLACE on a certain DEGREE of the scale.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is MOVEMENT is also measurable in INTERVALS:

Like a ii-, V7, IMaj sequence: from the ii- to the V7 is "up a 4th" and like wise from a V7 to the Key Center (IMaj in this example) is also "up a 4th"... while the Key tethered DEGREES of that sequence remain ii-, V, I.
ALTHOUGH a ii-, V7, IMaj... may be played moved as a "block" (Sequence) over other degrees of of the piece's Key's degrees... you can often find a ii-, V7, IMay with it's "ii-" actually sitting on the 3rd degree of the actual KEY.
Essentially, that would be a iii-, V7, II Maj... but for simplification we "think of it" as a ii-, V, I... as the MOVEMENTS inside this sequence remain "up a 4th and up another 4th"... all we know (playing positions relative to each other, and soloing lines) are "transportable" as a "block".

THAT's where intervallic thinking becomes a complete concept. Note names then are reduced to identifying the Key and finding it's starting position on the instrument.

We "measure" INTERVALS using the "ruler" of the Diatonic Scale. It's evidently as somewhat un-even "ruler". But it is what we got.

When playing "graphic" instruments like a keyboard or (Steel)-guitar, we should learn to see the "mirror"-image of every Progression position we are in to the left (down) or the right (up). Evidently, moving a chord up, is 5 frets up (without pedal changes)... but it's "mirrored" position is also a 5th down 7 frets down.
ACROSS the strings the same occurs with 3rds/6ths, 4ths/5ths, 7ths and 2nds and even TriTones. We should "see" the un-played string above or below, which would invert the harmony at any time. THAT's when we can freely swap between the two as we play... what we hear Jerry Byrd and most that followed seamlessly.

... J-D.

Thanks, J.D. I'm trying to follow & make sure I've got everything straight as I've battled with coming to grips between the differences between "degrees" and "intervals" as well as all sorts of theory language. In the example you cited, if you were to "transpose" (correct nomenclature?) this chord progression over the third degree of the tonic scale (again, correct nomenclature?), would it not be iii-,VI7,IIMaj, not iii-V7,IIMaj since its all being transposed a semitone or one fret, bumping all of those chords up one position? I know (well I'm relatively comfortable in assuming) that VI7 is an anomoly in recognized progressions, and that in reality we "view this "transposition" as ii-,V7,IIMaj- just moved to the third (minor) degree of the tonic scale. Sound right? Thanks for elucidating- you guys are giving me a workout.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Last edited by Pete McAvity on 6 Jun 2023 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 10:21 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
You got it, JD.

Harmonizing a scale in 6ths just means playing two notes that are 6 degrees of the scale apart.
C D E F G A B
D E F G A B C
E F G A B C D
etc.

Same with 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 13ths…

A 3rd is probably the most common harmony because it is the most easily understood. Chords are built on 3rds. Everyone kinda gets the 1-3-5 chord formula. A small step beyond that is grasping the concept of the separate intervals. From the 1 to the 3 is a 3rd, and from the 3 to the 5 is also a 3rd.

C D E F G A B
D E F G A B C
etc.

From there, you can go all the way down the rabbit hole of theory.

Heya, Fred. I'm trying to soak this in & make sure I get the terminology right. In your first example, would it be correct to say that you are illustrating the FIRST and SIXTH DEGREES of a scale (ex. C-A), which are FIVE INTERVALS separated?

Thanks,
-Pete

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 10:27 am    

Pete McAvity wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:
Dave Magram wrote:
Hi JD,

I also wrote:
Quote:

- Dave

Essentially, that would be a iii-, V7, II Maj... but for simplification we "think of it" as a ii-, V, I... as the MOVEMENTS inside this sequence remain "up a 4th and up another 4th"... all we know (playing positions relative to each other, and soloing lines) are "transportable" as a "block".

... J-D.

Thanks, S.D. I'm trying to follow & make sure I've got everything straight as I've battled with coming to grips between the differences between "degrees" and "intervals" as well as all sorts of theory language. In the example you cited, if you were to "transpose" (correct nomenclature?) this chord progression over the third degree of the tonic scale (again, correct nomenclature?), would it not be iii-,VI7,IIMaj, not iii-V7,IIMaj since its all being transposed a semitone or one fret, bumping all of those chords up one position? I know (well I'm relatively comfortable in assuming) that VI7 is an anomoly in recognized progressions, and that in reality we "view" this "transposition" as ii-,V7,IIMaj- just moved to the third (minor) degree of the tonic scale. Sound right? Thanks for elucidating- you guys are giving me a workout.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 11:41 am    

Dave Magram wrote:
Here is the simple "KISS" answer to the original poster’s apparent question:
“The most common notes used to add harmony to a melody note are the third and fifth scale degrees of the diatonic scale.”

Based on this answer, in the key of C major, you are saying that E (the 3rd scale degree) and G (the 5th scale deg.) are the most common, regardless of the melody notes being played? That seems like a strange answer, and not one that I would agree with. I personally think it makes a lot more sense to think in terms of intervals relative to the melody note, and that scale degrees shouldn't really enter the conversation.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 1:53 pm    

[quote="Pete McAvity"]
Fred Treece wrote:

Heya, Fred. I'm trying to soak this in & make sure I get the terminology right. In your first example, would it be correct to say that you are illustrating the FIRST and SIXTH DEGREES of a scale (ex. C-A), which are FIVE INTERVALS separated?

Thanks,
-Pete

Pete, but I’ll do my best.

I don’t know how the guy who wrote music theory thinks of it,, but for measuring intervals, I count the note and the space between the next note. If you only count the spaces between C and A, yeah, there are only 5. But you left out the ground covered by C (or A). That’s how I figure you get to a 6th. It’s kinda like a mileage chart. From mile 1 to mile 7 is only 6 miles. You have to count the first mile to call it a 7-mile drive.

Technically, I think you're supposed to count the half-steps between intervals. There are 9 half steps between C and A, and 9 half-steps is a major 6th.

C and A also happen to be the 1st and 6th degrees of the C major scale. D and B are the 2nd and 7th degrees of the C major scale, but the interval is again a major 6th.

A weirdness happens when you invert the notes. A to C is a minor 3rd, as is B to D.
C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C
C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C

Again, I think of scale degrees as fixed locations, like towns and cities on a map. Intervals are the distance between them - but you have to drive through either the first or last town to get the true distance…

Clear as mud, right? This is why I don’t teach anymore. My heart goes out to Dave Magram, Bob Hofnar, John McClung, and all the other teachers on the forum. It is an art.

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 3:23 pm     3rd or 6ths

🤔😳
Lh

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 5:50 pm    

Pete McAvity wrote:

Thanks, S.D. I'm trying to follow & make sure I've got everything straight as I've battled with coming to grips between the differences between "degrees" and "intervals" as well as all sorts of theory language. In the example you cited, if you were to "transpose" (correct nomenclature?) this chord progression over the third degree of the tonic scale (again, correct nomenclature?), would it not be iii-,VI7,IIMaj, not iii-V7,IIMaj since its all being transposed a semitone or one fret, bumping all of those chords up one position? I know (well I'm relatively comfortable in assuming) that VI7 is an anomoly in recognized progressions, and that in reality we "view" this "transposition" as ii-,V7,IIMaj- just moved to the third (minor) degree of the tonic scale. Sound right? Thanks for elucidating- you guys are giving me a workout.

Well, it seems I wasn't writing out into the wind.
You absolutely got it, so well you did catch my typo: Yes, a ii-, V7, IMaj starting at the 3rd degree chord of the key is indeed a iii-, VI7-IIMaj... actually, in such a situation, the II-chord may turn out to be ii-minor and go from there to a "real" V7, IMaj... some Swing endings can ping-pong back and forth doing that until the band is tired and ready to pack it up and hit the bunk beds in the bus.

Thanks!... really, means a lot to see someone is reading all this mumbo jumbo... "Nomenclature".

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 7:55 am     Pedal Steel is a theory machine!

In case anyone is still reading through this mess, I think it’s time to rescue it from the weeds of music theory and bring it back to the pedal steel guitar realm. I have nothing better to do this morning, waiting for my roofer to show up.

A lot of this terminology is on display by looking at the neck of your instrument. Each successive fret, from 0 all the way up to 24, represents a 1/2 step interval (also called a “semitone”) on each string. It doesn’t matter what key you are in, or what single string you play, or what its note name is. Each time you move your bar up one fret, you have raised the pitch of that string by a 1/2-step interval.

As you go up the neck with the bar and add up the frets, you increase the number of 1/2 step intervals from the open string. Each of those fret distances from the open string has a name for the interval it creates (and a note name, but that’s NOT what is being discussed). I’m not going to list them. You can look them up on any decent free theory website. Just a couple, since we are talking about 3rds and 6ths —-

3 frets (3 half-steps) = minor 3rd
4 frets (4 half-steps) = major 3rd
8 frets (8 half-steps) = minor 6th*
9 frets (9 half-steps) = major 6th

*can also be called “flat” 6th, but more often called “sharp 5th” or “augmented 5th” because of what it represents in a chord formula where the 5th in a 1-3-5 triad is raised by a 1/2-step interval. Put that in your smoke…

The golden rule for naming intervals is that they are always measured from the lower pitch to the higher one. That’s why C to A is a major 6th and A to C is a minor 3rd. I know, more smoke…

In other news. Obviously you can do simple math and call 8 half-steps by the name of 4 whole-steps. If you don’t understand the difference between a half and a whole, then you might be eating too much pie.

So, finding intervals on one string is easy now, right? Finding them on two strings is where things can get complicated. One thing you can do on your pedal steel to get started is figure out the intervals between each pair of adjacent strings. For example, use your bar on string 9 to find the same pitch as open string 8. Don’t worry about note names, just look at which fret your bar is on. That tells you the number of 1/2 steps in the interval. Then you can look up the name if you want. Or I can tell you. It’s 2 frets, 2 half-steps (or one whole step), and the interval is called a major 2nd.

The fun starts when you find the fret where the unisons on string 9 are with string 7, 6, 5, etc. The real adventure begins when you can name all the intervals between all the strings. Then start using pedals and levers and moving the bar and see if the interval names start clicking.

I don’t believe this knowledge of theory inherently makes you a better player. But having the understanding and the ability to put it into practice does.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 10:21 am    

J.D. & Fred- thank you both so much. I'm finding more and more that even though I've been relying on right brain "feel" for 15 years, it all comes together when I actually do the left brain homework & familiarize myself with intervals and the why/how aspects of hearing/playing. Now I just need to actually do the damn work and let the acquired knowledge run in the background of the operating system. I really appreciate you both firming up foundational concepts- it's a tremendous help for me.