The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  early Session 400 amp -$60
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 6:32 am    

Price reduction...

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 18 Jun 2023 3:28 am; edited 5 times in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 12:31 pm    

meh,I'll never use it... Is it worth $75 anyway?...

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 18 Jun 2023 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 5:26 am    

For anyone within driving distance & interested- PV USED to take chassis in via mail, refurb/recap & send back. Don't know if they still offer this service since their buyout, but if not, and you are handier than me w/ a soldering iron, a simple recap & replacement speaker would put you in arguably the most popular solid state steel amp for less than half it's value. If I lived near by I'd be on it.

Best of luck w/ your sale, Bob!

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 9:54 am    

The session 400 amps, even early silver knobs which sounded better in my opinion are no longer an easy sell,, They seem to have fallen out of favor.. I have a local dealer that will take it on trade most likely, but if not, I was thinking about taking the chassis out, cleaning all contacts, connections, replacing the caps, spraying out all the pots, and reverb connections etc... The amp works fine, sounds strong, just makes that low "poppy" sound at idle that I have seen in a million amps both tube and SS, and is usually corrected by installing new caps..

After checking it out, everything is in really good shape, as far as condition, its simply dirty, , nothing ripped ,chipped,torn or frayed. It should clean up really well.

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 18 Jun 2023 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 2:19 pm    

if shipping were cheap i'd be all over it! i've been dreaming of a session 400, but shipping to me would be crazy!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 3:01 pm    

Dave Campbell wrote:
if shipping were cheap i'd be all over it! i've been dreaming of a session 400, but shipping to me would be crazy!

Indeed Dave, shipping is the biggest issue selling anything these days.. It would cost more to ship this amp across country than I want for the amp...Looks like I'll hang on to it for now, and clean it up and get it back to clean, noise free operation, and then maybe just swap it for a cheap guitar or something.. If I had a use for it I wouldn't mind keeping it, but my days of needing this much power are long behind me... bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 12:39 pm    

Deal pending locally
.... bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2023 3:14 am    

Local deal fell through... Guy was 4 hours away it turns out.. So here's the deal-
I replaced a leaking cap, did not repair the slight noise at idle.. I have been using the amp a lot. Its clean, loud, and sounds just great, like all these early hi power silver knob Peavey amps. The static sound at idle seems to come and go, but is there most of the time.. Its not loud, can only be heard if you are listening for it, and in a band situation could never be heard, unless everything was dead quiet, and you were a few feet from the amp... If I were still in bands, I would use this amp, and never even think about it, or even be aware of it.. however, there is a component out of spec somewhere in the amp, and it can't be sold as flawless.. Everything works, all pots are quiet, reverb and trem work great, and the amp sounds beautiful... I did a good cleanup of it and the cabinet is in great shape, no dents, digs or gouges in the tolex,Grille cloth is in great shape, not a tear or snag anywhere, Peavey logo intact, front aluminum panels in excellent shape.. Amp corners have rust, as do the handle covers, but I removed them, cleaned them up a bit, and they look "period correct".. The amp looks really good,, Does not look shiny new,but I dare say much better than most amps that are close to 50 years old.. Its $60 because it has no speaker,its solid state, its way too powerful for my needs, and I simply have no use for it as I have a Musician 400 head thats basically the same amp... It can be taken and played anywhere as it is. However, it IS old, and I can't guarantee it will work this well in a year or even a month. It should be gone through .. I would like a local sale for $60, but to get it out of here, will consider offers to send it off somewhere I suppose...If anyone is interested in it, PM me we can talk, and I'll play the amp for you... This is a great deal on a great amp.....

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2023 2:11 pm     Session 400

Would you have any pictures?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2023 2:49 pm     Re: Session 400

Dale Foreman wrote:
Would you have any pictures?

geez, its $60.
Cosmetically very good, as stated.. If you want to get shiny new cab corners, and new handle covers, and do a deep clean with brushes, and then some vinyl treatment, it will look almost new.. Looks fine as is, just lacking the high gloss shine of a brand new amp, and there is some pitting and discoloration on the cab corners.. Otherwise, no rips ao tears anywhere... I am old school, no cell phone, and I have 3 digital cameras, not one of which is working right now, thats why I have not included pics...

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2023 4:10 pm    

I wish I lived closer to you, Bob. I'd have grabbed this when you first listed it, even though I have about 87 other amp projects in my basement! A little noise should be findable with a scope. I doubt it needs anything costly.

I've never owned a Session 400 but I have heard some of my heros through them, including the first time I heard a live steel player, in 1974, I think. It was Curly Chalker, playing through two of them... What a sound!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2023 4:17 pm     Session 400

Sending you a PM.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2023 3:32 am    

amp has been sold...