The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  9 string EMaj/E9 tunning
Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 9:48 am    

Howdy all,
I'm a new player and wanted to share this tuning I've been playing my 3x1 Maverick in. Here it is,

1 F#
2 D# -> D
3 G#
4 E
5 B -> C#
6 G# -> A
7 E
8 B --> A
9 E
10X

It was originally a 9 string tuning because, when I was gifted my Maverick, it was missing the tuning peg for the 10th string. However, now I like this tuning enough that I probably won't replace it (plus 9 strings is plenty for me lol). As a singersongwritter and former standard guitar player, I like this tuning because I can use all the benders and get to major chords in a different voicing and I can strum my lowest 6th strings to play it more like a standard guitar for major chords. I did have to switch to a heavier gauge of strings which required some inventive setup techniques that I'm happy to explain if anyone wants to know.

Anyway, let me know what you think. would be interested to know if anyone else has tried anything like this.

Best,
Carl

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 10:49 am    

Welcome Carl,
I agree that it's nice to have the low E. I have an 11-string with a low E and drop it to C#.

I'm curious to see which changes go with what pedals & the knee? And why did you choose to skip raising #3 to A?

Pedals steel has infinite possibilities!

Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 11:22 am    

Hey Eric!
Here's my first copedent chart to answer your question.

--------PA----PB----KL
1 F#
2 D# -------------> D
3 G#
4 E
5 B --------> C#
6 G# -> A
7 E
8 B --------------> A
9 E
10X

The only reason my #3 doesn't go up to A is that it didn't come set up that way and I haven't braved trying to change it yet. Thanks for the reminder, that's something I should figure out.

best!
Carl

Last edited by Carl Stovner on 5 Jun 2023 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 11:56 am    

Hi Carl,
Are there no hookups with pedal "C"? Nomally it would change string 4 from E -> F# abd string 5 from B -> C#.

It also appears that your A and B pedals are reversed (assuming you are labeling them left to right A, B, C.)
By your saying "it didn't come set up that way" suggests that it's hookup may be incorrect.

You can play it how you like, and I am not saying it must be changed. However written instruction may not be easy to apply, as your setup is not standard, and if you moved to a "standard" setup, you'd have to learn it all over, again.

.........Pat.

Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 12:24 pm    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hi Carl,
Are there no hookups with pedal "C"? Nomally it would change string 4 from E -> F# abd string 5 from B -> C#.

It also appears that your A and B pedals are reversed (assuming you are labeling them left to right A, B, C.)
By your saying "it didn't come set up that way" suggests that it's hookup may be incorrect.

You can play it how you like, and I am not saying it must be changed. However written instruction may not be easy to apply, as your setup is not standard, and if you moved to a "standard" setup, you'd have to learn it all over, again.

.........Pat.

Hey Pat,
Nice catch, I had my A and B pedals criss crossed. See below for a corrected copedent.

--------PB----PA----KL
1 F#
2 D# -------------> D
3 G#
4 E
5 B --------> C#
6 G# -> A
7 E
8 B --------------> A
9 E
10X

The way it's set up now, my C pedal just does the same thing as my A pedal. Do you know any good tutorials or anything for changing pedal setups on a Maverick?

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 12:59 pm    

Hi again, Carl,

Your C pedal appears to be just missing a hookup. It does what it is supposed to do on string 5, but the action on string 4 is missing.

I am not that familiar with pull-release changers, as far as the tutorial goes. But the simple thing to do is to compare WHAT each change does, and HOW it does it. Then you can adjust your hookups accordingly.

Your normal hookup would be:

---------A----B----C----KL
1 F#
2 D#---------------------D
3 G#--------A
4 E-----------------F#
5 B----C#--------C#
6 G#--------A
7 E
8 B----C#---------------A
9 E

The pedals operate 2 strings, and it just appears that one hookup is missing on each of your pedals.
You can leave it how you like, but I think this is how the unit might be set up, with the strings you have (I'm not sure on the KL).

Idea: you might move the knee lever from dropping string 8 from B -> A to string 7, and drop E -> D#. That would give you another minor chord at the nut, in the key of E: G#m.

.......Pat

Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 9:21 am    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hi again, Carl,

Your C pedal appears to be just missing a hookup. It does what it is supposed to do on string 5, but the action on string 4 is missing.

I am not that familiar with pull-release changers, as far as the tutorial goes. But the simple thing to do is to compare WHAT each change does, and HOW it does it. Then you can adjust your hookups accordingly.

Your normal hookup would be:

---------A----B----C----KL
1 F#
2 D#---------------------D
3 G#--------A
4 E-----------------F#
5 B----C#--------C#
6 G#--------A
7 E
8 B----C#---------------A
9 E

The pedals operate 2 strings, and it just appears that one hookup is missing on each of your pedals.
You can leave it how you like, but I think this is how the unit might be set up, with the strings you have (I'm not sure on the KL).

Idea: you might move the knee lever from dropping string 8 from B -> A to string 7, and drop E -> D#. That would give you another minor chord at the nut, in the key of E: G#m.

.......Pat

Hey Pat,
Thanks for the tips, i'll have to "pop the hood" and take a look.

I like the idea of changing the knee lever to get another minor chord except for that then I'd loose my alternate major voicing (using all three pedals) and I rely on that a bit more than I would having another minor.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 12:19 pm    

Hi Carl,

How's it going in this pedal steel "rabbit hole"? Really something new and exciting to get into!

Your comment about "loosing an alternate major voice" would not happen if you hooked up both B's to C#. That way, all you'd have to do is press A & B for your major chord, without having to add your KL, too. That would free up moving the E to D#, and adding another minor to your bag of available chords.

Here, let me 'splain it another way. For me, it is hard to look at the available notes and just KNOWING which chords would be available, because I don't know what note is in every chord. I don't know where you stand on that, but for me it was easier looking at the notes in the key of "C", like so, with the bar on fret 8:

--------A---B----C----KL
1 D
2 B---------------------Bb
3 E---------F
4 C---------------D
5 G---A---------A
6 E---------F
7 C----------------------B
8 G---A
9 C

and comparing what the main chords in the key of C are composed of.

1 C.... C, E, G........4 F..... F, A, C.
2 Dm. D, F, A........5 G.... G, B, D, G7 would have an F, also.
3 Em. E, G, B........6 Am. A, C, E.

Looking at what notes are in what chord, and comparing it with the copedent, you can see what pedals or lever needs to be pressed for what chord. And also shows how the suggested change to string 7 would be used.

Hope this helps.......Pat

Last edited by Pat Chong on 9 Jun 2023 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 5:35 am    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hi Carl,

How's it going in this pedal steel "rabbit hole"? Really something new and exciting to get into!

Your comment about "loosing an alternate major voice" would not happen if you hooked up both B's to C#. That way, all you'd have to do is press A & B for your major chord, without having to add your KL, too. That would free up moving the E to D#, and adding another minor to you bag of available chords.

Here, let me 'splain it another way. For me, it is hard to look at the available notes and just KNOWING which chords would be available, because I don't know what note is in every chord. I don't know where you stand on that, but for me it was easier looking at the notes in the key of "C", like so, with the bar on fret 8:

--------A---B----C----KL
1 D
3 E---------F
4 C---------------D
5 G---A---------A
6 E---------F
7 C----------------------B
8 G---A
9 C

and comparing what the main chords in the key of C are composed of.

1 C.... C, E, G........4 F..... F, A, C.
2 Dm. D, F, A........5 G.... G, B, D, G7 would have an F, also.
3 Em. E, G, B........6 Am. A, C, E.

Looking at what notes are in what chord, and comparing it with the copedent, you can see what pedals or lever needs to be pressed for what chord. And also shows how the suggested change to string 7 would be used.

Hope this helps.......Pat

Hey Pat. Yeah that helps a lot! Would be really interesting to try this copedent and have some more chords at my disposal. I'll let you know how it goes!

thanks!
Carl

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2023 8:50 am    

Hi Carl,

You're welcome.

The reason for the suggested copedent is that the A-B-C pedal arrangement shown is standard. The only differance between that and a PSG with more knee levers is that the actions on your KL would have been on separate levers.

I can understand apprehension over any change to your hookup. Looking up "tuning the maverick" would give you an idea of how to tune (if you're not sure) and what/how you could handle any modifications you might do. Luck on your work.....

Warp 10,.........Engage!
.......Pat

Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2023 5:22 am    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hi Carl,

You're welcome.

The reason for the suggested copedent is that the A-B-C pedal arrangement shown is standard. The only differance between that and a PSG with more knee levers is that the actions on your KL would have been on separate levers.

I can understand apprehension over any change to your hookup. Looking up "tuning the maverick" would give you an idea of how to tune (if you're not sure) and what/how you could handle any modifications you might do. Luck on your work.....

Warp 10,.........Engage!
.......Pat

Hey Pat.
I took some time this weekend and changed to that copedent. So far I like it! Turns out my C pedal was hooked up the whole time the pedal tuner was just cranked down so far the string wouldn't bend. Changing the rest of it around wasn't that tricky either.

It's nice to have both B's go to C# because it fills out those minor chords since I can play 5 strings instead of 4. My only issue is that I have several songs i've written where I strum the low six strings and then play a riff using my A pedal. Now when I do that, I also get the low B bending which I don't really like. I'm experimenting with using my slide thumb/pick thumb to mute the 8 string for riffs but I may split the difference and do this:

--------A---B----C----KL
1 D
3 E---------F
4 C---------------D
5 G---A---------A
6 E---------F
7 C
8 G--------------------F
9 C

Live long and prosper,
Carl

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2023 8:54 pm    

Hi Carl,

Since you were able to try the copedent, it appears you have a good mechanical understanding of what needed to be done. That makes it easier. You might get around to adding knee levers, if you so desire. People have modified Mavericks before, but being able to do so yourself saves time and money. Did you do string 7, too, E to D#?

Muting unwanted string(s) is another skill that we all have to work on. Try that first, before removing the lower B to C# change.

Anyway, I wish you well on your endevor to get into this, our goal is being able to play without having to think too much while playing. My settup has a low E, too.

........Pat....You too: Live Long And Prosper _\\//

Carl Stovner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2023 6:25 am    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hi Carl,

Since you were able to try the copedent, it appears you have a good mechanical understanding of what needed to be done. That makes it easier. You might get around to adding knee levers, if you so desire. People have modified Mavericks before, but being able to do so yourself saves time and money. Did you do string 7, too, E to D#?

Muting unwanted string(s) is another skill that we all have to work on. Try that first, before removing the lower B to C# change.

Anyway, I wish you well on your endevor to get into this, our goal is being able to play without having to think too much while playing. My settup has a low E, too.

........Pat....You too: Live Long And Prosper _\\//

Hey Pat,
Yeah I've seen people talk about adding knee levers to Mavericks. Definitely something i'm interested in.

I do have 7 going from E-D# right now, the next step is to really sit down with it and figure out the theory of how to use it well.

thanks again for all your help!

best,
Carl