The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel legs - 1/2" to 5/8" adapter?
Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2023 7:55 am    

I have legs that are 1/2" 13 thread that I need to adapt to 5/8". Looked at the hardware store but no luck yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2023 9:10 am    

I know that this has been discussed on this forum but I didn't have much luck finding the thread (no pun intended). I wound up using heli-coil inserts on my Rickenbacker DW16. Drilled and tapped the 5/8" holes in the sockets to work with the 1/2"-13 inserts. Worked out okay but you will need the special heli-coil tool kit for that size. Maybe McMaster.com has a screw on adapter that would be easier. What guitar is this for? I know that Gibson consoles also use a 5/8 socket.

Edit/Correction: My Gibson Console uses a 3/8" socket

Last edited by Bill Sinclair on 6 Jun 2023 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2023 8:39 pm    

Interesting. Thank you. Oh it's for a 60s eHarp

Last edited by Jim Wilmoth on 3 Jun 2023 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2023 10:58 am    

If you go with the helicoils, keep in mind that you use a slightly smaller drill for aluminum than you do for steel. For the 1/2-13 tap, you would use a 33/64" for aluminum, 17/32 for steel. Let us know what you wind up doing and good luck!

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2023 5:31 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
I know that this has been discussed on this forum but I didn't have much luck finding the thread (no pun intended). I wound up using heli-coil inserts on my Rickenbacker DW16. Drilled and tapped the 5/8" holes in the sockets to work with the 1/2"-13 inserts. Worked out okay but you will need the special heli-coil tool kit for that size. Maybe McMaster.com has a screw on adapter that would be easier. What guitar is this for? I know that Gibson consoles also use a 5/8 socket.

This is more pricey, but maybe better?

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 6:30 am    

Jim,
I tried using those on a different project but remember having some problems getting them to screw all the way in to the tapped hole and fractured the insert. I didn't know about the driver tool and tried using a big screwdriver so I'm sure it was my fault. In theory it seems like a better solution than a helicoil so maybe someone else will weigh in. I wonder if there is something special you have to do with the EZ Lok when installing in aluminum?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 6:54 am    

I made my own adapters.
I took a 5/8" bolt and then drill and taped the center for 1/2".
Then I cut off the end of the bolt to the right length and super glued it to the leg.
Worked like a charm. Very Happy
Erv

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 8:39 am    

Erv,
Are you sure that wasn't a 3/4" bolt as would be used on your Stringmasters? A 1/2" to 5/8" threaded adapter wouldn't have much meat on it. I might have to give it a try next time I need one though. Any suggestions on finding the center of the bolt before drilling? I'm thinking cut the head off and chuck it in a lathe?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2023 8:42 am    

Bill,
It could have been, it's been some time ago.
No lathe, I just used a drill press and a good vice.
Erv

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 12:59 pm    

Jim,

I need to correct some misinformation in one of my posts above. My Gibson Console Grande has 3/8"-16 sockets, not 5/8". I'm thinking that the Rickenbacker was the same. My experience must have been drilling out a 3/8" hole to about 1/2" to accept the 1/2-13 tap. I'm thinking you might not have anything to drill out since the hole the hole in your socket may already be bigger than 1/2". You would basically be rethreading the existing hole with the tap and hopefully catch enough threads to make the installation of the helicoil or the insert possible. Are you sure that your leg sockets are 5/8"?

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 1:31 pm    

Hi Bill,

Thank you for all the clarification. I confirmed the size and thread by taking one mount off and bringing it and one leg to the hardware store. This way, I could confirm the facts about what I was really dealing with. That was unfortunately as far as the hardware store could help, but still very important.

Thanks to your suggestion I went to MSC direct that had the stainless steel inserts I was looking for 5/8 11 to 1/2 13 internal. Also since you and others warned of not using a screwdriver to insert these (and damaging the inserts), I ordered the ez-lok tool to install.

The tool arrived today and the inserts arrive tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Jim

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 12:01 am    

Another source is Fastenal.com

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 10:37 am    

Tom Wolverton wrote:
Another source is Fastenal.com

Thanks Tom. I went with EZ looks. They work well but 5/8" tap isn't quite wide enough so it takes some patience to get the tap hole size to the sweet spot.