The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker comparison
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2023 4:56 am    

Has anyone made a comparison between the Eminence PF-350 speaker and the Travis Toy speaker?

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 5:40 am    

I just recieved a pf350 yesterday. I've owned a tt12 for a few years. I did an AB at bedroom volume in identical cabinets.

The tt12 is darker, more low mids (loose) and low end
Definitely more mellow. Complements a warmer sound if that is what you are after

The pf350 (not yet broken in) sounded more focused (tight), more powerful, less lower mids, more upper mids and high end. Compliments a bright upper mid barky sound if that is what you are after.

Having only played through the pf 350 for about 4 hrs so far but I absolutely love the pf350 for the sound I am going for. I play a bright sounding guitar with very clear tonal qualities, bill lawrence 710 pickups into a quilter head.

***the speaker is not broken in yet so I imagine it will have a little more low end once it is. I am amazed with it even still.

Hope this helps

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 7:19 am    

Quentin's post is 300 x more useful than mine and maybe more since the ears are everything and the eyes are nothing. But just f whatever iw:

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 9:46 am    

Worth a lot Jon! I have somewhat learned to read the FR graphs, though I'm not sure what the second curve represents. But you can see the PF is much more excited in the 1k - 2k range. The TT should be much smoother and more forgiving on the top end and has a notch at 500k which a lot of players find desirable to mitigate the honk.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 9:59 am    

These graphs are logarithmic decade charts.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 11:32 am    

Also, the blank charts aren't laid out the same. 70 to 110 vs 65 to 105. Not that 5db will vary that much. It just makes the peaks and lows comparisons look a little off. The lows are nearly identical. I like the sound of a dip at 500hz. PF is brighter on the high end which probably would be a need for a little more presence control boost for the TT, if you like that much bite. I never have a problem tuning in lows or highs with most speakers and amps. The crucial adjustment for me is always the mids to get where I want to be with any speaker/amp, 600hz - 800hz range. The pickup enters into it also.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 12:14 pm    

Except above 5 khz, those response curves are very close. An amp with a good EQ capability could, with some careful adjusting, make them sound almost identical, (except for the impulse response and those highs over 5 khz).

I sometimes feel that players overlook the full capabilities of their tone controls, which can vary the sound and tone far more than a speaker change.

But that's just me. Oh Well

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 1:17 pm    

I think there is more to it than that.
Looking at the audio passband of a speaker and it's inherent eq curve is only part of it. How it reacts to the player is huge!

The physical and electrical design plays a huge role as well in this respect.

Cone and voice coil material and design, basket density and size, magnet type and size etc. All play a huge role in the end result and effect what the speaker sounds like.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2024 1:28 pm    

The PF-350 I had must have been a dud because is sounded kind of muddy.
I had to fiddle with the tone controls and never has happy with the result.
After installing the TT-12 the tone was very noticeably brighter and better.
All my tone controls now stay mostly at strait up 12 O'Clock.
Like I said I had must have been a dud PF-350.
They are pretty much the standard for Little Walter Amps.

Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 6 Feb 2024 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2024 7:18 pm    

Quentin Hickey wrote:
I think there is more to it than that.
Looking at the audio passband of a speaker and it's inherent eq curve is only part of it. How it reacts to the player is huge! The physical and electrical design plays a huge role as well in this respect. Cone and voice coil material and design, basket density and size, magnet type and size etc. All play a huge role in the end result and effect what the speaker sounds like.

That all comes under the heading of "impulse response".
(Which I mentioned.)

"Everything that matters can be counted,
but not everything that can be counted, matters."

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2024 7:49 pm    

I've been around long enough that I've learned to be patient and wait at least a year after the latest piece of gear has been a hot item and on the job before I jump. After a year, most of it is used and for sale again. Sometimes it's replaced by the next new product or model. It's a never ending turnover.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2024 4:49 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
Worth a lot Jon! I have somewhat learned to read the FR graphs, though I'm not sure what the second curve represents. But you can see the PF is much more excited in the 1k - 2k range. The TT should be much smoother and more forgiving on the top end and has a notch at 500k which a lot of players find desirable to mitigate the honk.

The second line represents how the impedance varies with frequency.