The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  UA Dream ‘65
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 12:08 pm    

Has anyone had an opportunity to try the Universal Audio Dream ‘65 pedal? It’s supposed to be an incredible model of an old Deluxe Reverb - it’s getting great reviews.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 7:57 am     Very interesting

Boo, this thing looks super cool. As you know, The UA stuff is really superb. Would love to hear some real world experiences with this thing too.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 8:33 am    

I've been wanting to get that Fender sound from my Peaveys for a while. The Dream 65 looked really good as did the Russian AMT F1 for bypassing the Peavey preamp and running into the power amp. The F1's are still available from their Italian warehouse, but both are pretty expensive for a gigging musician.

So, no I haven't tried the Dream 65, but I did pick up a Joyo American sound and am running it into the post effects return on my Nashville 112 in my music room. I spent 8 hours playing it yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with the Joyo. I am able to get tones from the amp that emulate those great Fender sounds from Lloyd, Ralph, and Tom Brumley in the 70's. I can even set it to get that Twin breakup that you hear when they romp on the leads. My next step will be to do the same with my gigging Session 115 and see if the same is true.

The Joyo doesn't have reverb or tremolo, but it does have a mid control in addition to the voice knob, which I found to be a necessity in getting the variety of tones. The voice knob scoops at 400 Hz and the Mid knob controls around 800 Hz. The AMT F1 also has a middle tone stack. The Dream 65 doesn't, however it has amp and cabinet models that include a Twin with JBL's.

The Peavey reverb is post the effects return before the power amp and it works fine with the Joyo.

I expect that the Dream 65 will do a better job on the breakup and the tremolo would be fun, but I'm still trying to make money playing and buying a Dream 65 would set me back $350 to $400 and the Joyo was $32 on Ebay. I'll try the Joyo out on some gigs and see if I can use the Fender tones.

I would love to see a YouTube video of the Dream 65 running clean Fender tones on a steel amp. Most folks that make Dream 65 videos are more interested in the Deluxe Reverb sound cranked to breakup and running overdrives into it.

Please keep us posted if you do get a Dream 65 and let us know how it sounds.

Bill

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 2:23 pm    

This looks cool. What would be the solution for running direct with this box since the output is unbalanced TS? I'm accustomed to running a balanced XLR output, sometimes a long way. Thanks!

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 4:37 pm    

Most folks run the unbalanced output into a DI box and send the XLR output to the FOH.

Bill

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 9:50 am    

I was looking at the Dream 65 more for recording direct. I have been using the Strymon Iridium lately -- it's a great pedal! I was just curious because it seems like UA took it to another level by only focusing on one specific amp. I'm still a big fan of mic-ing an amp to record but going direct certainly makes things easier ... and, generally, once it's in the mix, you can't tell the difference. Smile

Baron Collins-Hill

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 11:13 pm    

I just got a dream and it's a killer little box. Sounds great with my Quilter TT15 in FRFR mode, I've yet to use it direct for recording but looking forward to the opportunity. I vastly prefer the Dream's sound through the TT15 over the Quilter Vintage setting.

Thanks,
Baron

Free Online Mandolin & Fiddle Tune Lessons
http://www.mandolessons.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 6:03 pm    

Boo, my whole band uses the Dream 65 for fly dates. I use one channel for steel and the other for Tele. Then we just get our sounds back in our wedges or IEMs. It saves on transporting amps and makes us more affordable to hire cuz it reduces the venues' backline rental costs. Our lead guitarist is the VP of Sales for UA, so, yeah, we like 'em.

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 6:45 pm    

Thanks all for your input.

Jim (always great to hear from you!) -- Have you used it at all to record straight to your DAW? I would be curious how that worked out and your opinion.

Thanks!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 6:47 pm    

Boo Bernstein wrote:
Thanks all for your input.

Jim (always great to hear from you!) -- Have you used it at all to record straight to your DAW? I would be curious how that worked out and your opinion.

Thanks!

Boo, no I have not had occasion to try that yet. If you do, let me know how it goes.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 6:43 am    

I am tempted to get the Dream, or something like it. But in a playing live situation, could I just bring the pedal and a speaker cabinet? Or will it not amplify a on it's own?
Thanks

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 6:30 pm    

I owned a UA Dream for a couple of weeks. I bought it to record direct with or to use as a practice amp with headphones in hotel rooms, but the treble was way too much even on zero, so I sent it back.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Lauren Broido

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 4:00 pm     Clean?

Jim Cohen wrote:
Boo, my whole band uses the Dream 65 for fly dates. I use one channel for steel and the other for Tele. Then we just get our sounds back in our wedges or IEMs. It saves on transporting amps and makes us more affordable to hire cuz it reduces the venues' backline rental costs. Our lead guitarist is the VP of Sales for UA, so, yeah, we like 'em.

Aloha Jim, I just got one of these. Anyplace I go off this Island, I have to fly. I would much rather bring my amp but it's so not practical. I'll be using this for lap steel and guitar and I'm a bit concerned about clean headroom on the steel. Do you feel you have enough before it breaks up ?
Thanks, Lauren

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 8:32 pm     Re: Clean?

Lauren Broido wrote:
Aloha Jim, I just got one of these. Anyplace I go off this Island, I have to fly. I would much rather bring my amp but it's so not practical. I'll be using this for lap steel and guitar and I'm a bit concerned about clean headroom on the steel. Do you feel you have enough before it breaks up ?
Thanks, Lauren

Hi Lauren, nice to see you here. It's been a while...
For my purposes, it has had enough clean headroom. I've never noticed it breaking up in any way - at least not through the wedges that I get it back in. What's happening at FOH, I can't say but I think my wife would have told me if it was sounding edgy or nasty at the shows she has attended.

Roland Molegraaf

Netherlands
Post  Posted 13 May 2023 2:16 am    

I use the Golden Reverberator from UA. What I like about this effect is that you can determine when you "reverb" come in.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2023 8:15 am    

I couldn't get it quite like i wanted it ,for my home recording. I might be spoiled from using the Iridium.
Of course I run it into a UA mic pre.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 1:41 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:

Hi Jim,
I sent you a PM through the forum too but in case that doesn't make it to you... I was wondering if you could school me on how you are using the Dream 65 for two instruments? I just ordered one and do double duty on most gigs, so being able to run both through one unit would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2023 10:28 am    

I've been gigging for decades and have always used amps and wedges. A year ago or so I found myself in a situation (knew it was going to happen sooner or later) where I was forced to start using in ears or headphones. I first tried the Strymon Iridium for a couple of months. In my opinion the Deluxe Reverb model sounded like The amp through the normal channel or with the bright cap clipped. I liked the Marshall model the least. The AC30 model sounded good but I was looking for a blackface Deluxe Reverb model.

So. . . I bought the '65 Dream. I am surprised at just how good it sounds. It definitely, to my ears, sounds more like
An actual Blackface Deluxe. In fact it's the best tone I have gotten so far, amps included (through a PA anyway) In the interest of clarity though, I have only heard the recorded version of it online. I have also heard it through my in ears and headphones many times of course, but honestly the sound quality isnt as good. I am really happy with it. My signal chain is: guitar, pedal board, '65 Dream sound, direct box and PA system. The pedals, including the drive pedals sound great. I don't think it is too bright. It can be bright if you want it to be, but then that's the way Deluxe Reverbs are. Wish I could be standing out front to hear the tone live.

The '65 Dream is very versatile. I could see easily using it for an entire gig as the onlY pedal. The on board tremolo is very good. I use one channel for my clean edge of breakup sound and the other channel for distortion. There are several distortion options, all good. Speaker emulations are helpful also. I would highly recommend it as you first choice f9r this type pf pedal. No, I am not affiliated with UA. Laughing

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2023 3:10 pm    

Andy Vance wrote:
.. I was wondering if you could school me on how you are using the Dream 65 for two instruments? I just ordered one and do double duty on most gigs, so being able to run both through one unit would be awesome!

Andy....I'm not Jim C....but I would get a Boss LS-2 Line Selector, run each of my instruments into it, use the volume controls on it to even out the levels, then send it to the UA.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ls-2/

- The Other Jim

Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2023 7:18 pm    

I got one, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. The Dream 65 has more gain than the iridium, so I could not get a clean enough tone with it for steel. Even on guitar I liked the iridium better. Also, with the iridium you can load your own IR's, which really opens up a lot of tonal options... I love UA, but I sent this one back and got a refund....

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 8:55 am    

I received mine and messed with it for a couple days but ended up returning it. I'm hoping the sess 400 I just ordered works out better for my need.