The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just a Buyers/Sellers Heads-Up!!
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 9:45 pm    

Damon:

OH, no! This is awful!

S0 sorry for your problem. I recently sold a guitar to a guy who wanted to send me a check via Fed-Ex as payment.

So I asked the manager at my bank what would happen if his check (Wells Fargo) didn't arrive. He actually called his counterpart at WF in front of me on speakerphone to confirm what he said he already knew: That NO bank's customers get stuck for stolen checks.

Now, I don't know what your bank is, but I'm hoping that your band has the same rules as the major banking institutions. I would hate to see you lose so much $$$.

Please let us know how this was resolved. Still worrying you got swindled.

Take care, buddy and best of luck!!!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:08 am    

Update! Bank called, they made a decision to refund/un-freeze money. Thank y’all for all the wisdom and help. Seller will be happy and I can finally start getting to know this ol’ Fingertip!! It’s need a bunch of work but I’m looking forward to it.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:09 am    

Good news! Very Happy
Erv

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:43 am    

Glad to hear everything worked out Smile

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 2:08 pm    

Glad to hear this worked out, but I'm not surprised. If one needs to send a check, I think USPS is a better choice - express mail if it needs to get there quickly, and I think that or registered/certified/priority mail gives extra protection. If someone steals something or perpetrates a fraud via US Mail, that is a federal rap, and that falls in the domain of a postal inspector. The penalties for frauds perpetrated through the US mail can be really heavy - https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1341. Not to mention state laws/penalties for larceny, fraud, or whatever.

And I do not believe that banks can hold customers liable for stolen/fraudulent/counterfeit checks. I believe that the responsibility for someone cashing a stolen/fraudulent/counterfeit check is with the outfit that accepted and paid out the check - I imagine frequently without proper ID. I imagine the banks will go after them to recover funds - I think that is SOP in this type of case - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/10/your-money/check-fraud-protection.html for more info.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 4:30 pm     Re: Daymon

Mark Shuda wrote:

Moral of story, if it’s too good to be true, it’s too good to be true! Don’t buy a guitar online without talking to seller first, and if seller doesn’t know who Lloyd Green is, he’s probably not a real seller!

Be careful out there! It’s getting worse!

True words and excellent advise.

Mitch

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 9 May 2023 2:34 pm    

Daymon I know you are a high integrity. A quality that is rarely or not found in many folks today. I hope all works out to His Glory and praise brother.

Tommy Shown

John Viterito

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2023 12:22 pm    

Hey Erv.....John here. Did the sheriff get your money for you? Just curious.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 7:07 am    

John,
There was nothing in the County that he could clomp onto.
I found out where the headquarters for FedEx was located and was ready to go after them there when there legal department called.
They said "I understand we owe you x amount of money".
I told them it was more than that because I have the sheriff out looking for you.
I said, would you like me to send you the total amount I've got coming and they said "yes".
So I faxed them the total bill and a few weeks later the FedEx guy showed up with a check and took the guitar.
The guitar wound up in a FedEx warehouse in Salt Lake City.
A fellow steeler called me and said "I think I'm going to be bidding on your guitar".
I guess when that warehouse gets full, FedEx has an auction on its contents.
End of story.Very Happy
Erv

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 9:13 am     Bummer!

Wow... this sucks, BUT no bank will ever let a customer lose their $ due to fraud if they are not somehow involved in said fraud.

It may take some time, of course, while the bank does a thorough investigation, but, as happened in your case, everything will be made right.

I recently sold a guitar to a Forum brother who sent me cash via FedEx, but he put the $$$ inside a small paperback book. In future, I suggest not putting a check in an an envelope in front of an employee, just to be safe. It seems VERY possible that the employee you put the check in the envelope in front of was involved in the scam. I'd find out who he/she is and let your bank's fraud dept. know about it.

Best of luck!1
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.