The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leslie Module/Pedal for Keyboard?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 8:34 am    

I posted in the electronics section, but most of the talk in that thread dealt with leslie sim pedals for pedal steel.

I could also use one for my keyboard midi rig when I'm using it without the steel guitar rig. The Alesis Nanosynth has great organs, but is lacking in Leslie sims.

I don't need anything that changes the basic organ tones, just add the swirl of a rotating speaker like a Leslie does.

It needs to sit on top of the Alesis Q49 keyboard where I can reach the controls and must have a port for a foot operated expression pedal for ramping up and down, brake, speed, acceleration etc.

It also has to have the capability of punching in and out as I only want it for organ patches on the synth and not for other programs.

I'm currently using the Boss SE70 rotary programs with it. It does a good job with leslie sims for the pedal steel, but I don't like the way it changes the tone of the midi organ patches.

I have a Roland VK-7 which nails the leslie effect. I know they have a VK-8 module, but that may be more stuff and more money for me.

I'd like to hear from some actual organ players, keyboard players that use one of these pedals or modules for your recommendations.

Maybe Skip et al. Thanks in advance.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 7:00 am    

Jerry, I used a Dynacord CLS-222 for years as my Leslie sim. It came out around 1985. It's a one rack space unit, and just may be one of the best Leslie sims ever made. Upper & lower speeds, stereo, etc.
It actually sounds better with a guitar or steel than it sounds with a keyboard, IMHO.
I had Greg Leisz use it once on a session and it was awesome.
They're out there, on eBay and Reverb, but they're not cheap. I still have mine.

Nowadays, when I play a Hammond clone I just use the built in Leslie effect.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:08 am    

One thing I took note of a few years ago is that the Neo Ventilator seemed to distinguish itself from other pedalboard rotary sims on the market in that it seemed to be marketing itself to keyboard players. They were doing side-by-side tests, a B3 into a Leslie vs. the FX box.
Guitar use is a large part of the Leslie market so this keyboard focus stuck with me. I have never tried one.
I've had several pedals and they all have different strengths. I have heard demos of some that did not impress me. The Neo demos sounded good.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:45 am    

Thanks fellas. I'll certainly review these suggestions. Looks like anything that fits my requirements is going to be a few hundred bucks. A bit more than I expected.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 10:03 am    

Jerry, I have a mint, never played out Neo Ventilator II I'd be willing to part with. I believe it has all the features you seek. I bought it for a project that imploded before I could even put it to good use. Has box, manual, complete package. I did a ton of research and listening to audio on YouTube, and to my ears it had the best sound and features. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll make you a good deal.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 12:31 pm    

Thanks John. I'll consider it. Those Neo boxes do have a nice sound and good features. They're out of my price range though.

I'll contact you through forum PM in a bit thought.