The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with tuner buttons?
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2023 10:28 am    

Last month I got a beautiful Magnatone Jeweltone 6 string lap steel in near mint condition. Only real wrong thing was the tuners on the treble side had been replaced and were really ugly compared to the originals.
See the 5th and 6th photos.

Here is a link to that:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=389687

Anyway, to keep it short I got the red 1/4" plastic to make new buttons and was referred to this other fellow who sold me the perfect 3 on a strip Kluson Deluxe replacement tuners with the unusual 1.5" spacing between the posts as well as the slotted string shafts with the hole in the center...

Now if any one has experience putting the plastic buttons that I'll make on I'd love to get some good advice?
I'm planning to try drilling the buttons I'll make and then heating the shaft a little and pressing them on. But if you know a better way, I'm all ears?...

Thanks to the forum and a PM from Jack Hanson for another fellow who has a huge stash of old parts I now will have the plates I need at what is a fair price these days.

The member who had them was Jim Dulfer who sent two photos of Kluson Deluxe sets with the same spacing. One of the sets was identical, but for having clear buttons while I need the clear red. First two photos.

I thought it best to let him keep the clear set for someone who may need just those in the future.

There was a fellow on eBay who wanted almost as much for the almost right set, but rusty and in crapy condition. Also not the slotted kind I need. 3rd and 4th photos.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2023 9:20 am    

I replaced some buttons on an old Gibson flat top and did pretty much what you're doing except I drilled the buttons so that they just snug, filled the hole with epoxy and pressed them on. Worked for me but as I've said many times I'm no expert.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2023 9:43 am    

Stewart-MacDonald has replacement buttons for old tuners, in a variety of colors. They can be fitted onto the old shafts, using several methods. The old-fashioned way is to get the smetal haft hot with a flame, and push on the buttons. The plastic melts and fits very well. You can also use super-glue gel to attach them.

Dale Lee

Down Yonder
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2023 9:44 am     Dye?

It might be possible to dye those clear buttons you showed in Photo 1.

https://feltmagnet.com/crafts/How-to-Dye-Acrylic-Plastic

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2023 6:27 am    

When I was a cabinetmaker we used Plexiglass for accent lighting. What we did was cut it and sand the cut marks to about 320/400 gt (I can't remember for sure the grit). Then hit it with a blowtorch. The blowtorch would melt the surface area just enough so it would turn crystal clear again. It would be a tedious job to make tuner buttons....but it is doable.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2023 8:23 am     Many thanks

Many thanks to all.
D Schubert, The ones from StewMac are the wrong spacing between the posts.
I've bought a set that is right and will make new buttons.
I was able to get a sheet, 1/4" X 12" X 12" dyed clear red just like the original buttons and the design will be easy to cut, file, sand and polish. Very Happy

Charlie Hansen, Thanks Charlie, I plan to do that if I have problems trying to press fit them on hot shafts. Very Happy

Dale Lee, Thanks, but I've gotten a large sheet of Clear Red plexiglass from Amazon so the color is no longer an issue. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.