The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Custom Steel Build 2.0
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 6:24 pm    

OK I did the first four coats of lacquer yesterday and got a bit of a OH OH!!. It seams the seat I'm building with the veneer covering that I bought from Lowe's did not like the lacquer I used. Which is the Emtech 6000 that I always use. It bubbled all over the place here is one picture of the back piece. You can get a good idea of what happened on all four sides.

So that really sucked. Anyways I still wanted a matching seat for this build and ...well... OUCH Shocked This is the most expensive seat I have ever produced. I went out and bought some more of that real maple I have been using on these guitar builds.

So I will put up more pictures of this seat as I get it rebuilt to match the guitar. On another note here is a picture of the necks ready for the first coat of lacquer with the new colored logo/fret markers on it. I will take some more pics as the guitar progresses.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 6:19 am     steel guitar

Well this guitar has gone every which way but south. The guitar is coming together fantastic...however the technology I was planning on using this round is not coming together as i would have hoped. I have run into more and more redo's on this unit due to lack of knowledge, incompatible or bad product. The colored vinyl that i was finally going to use does not like the wood and would curl. so all black again...which i'm OK with LOL Smile. The designing program I was using for the Logo/fret markers keeps changing the size and position...and as we all know the frets must be precise.
The program was telling me I had 12ft fret boards Whoa! so here are the next set of pics all masked up and ready in about 1 hour for coats 8-12...then this afternoon coats 13-16...then of course wait...ZZZZZZ then more lacquer in the middle of next week...and so on...and so on...and so on...

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 2:25 am     steel guitar

Just a quick note for everyone that is following this thread. We hit some bad weather up here in the last few days and our bobcats hydraulics went out so we have had to use the shop to repair that 1st, which of coarse has made a mess of the shops floor etc. This obviously has to be all cleaned up again before we can continue to lacquer this guitar. I will keep everyone updated.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 2:42 am     steel guitar

Well we're back at it. The hydraulics are repaired, shops cleaned and it's now 4am this fine Saturday morning with the 1st coffee of the day well under way.
Here is a picture of last nights session with 4 coats and as soon as I am done writing this I'll be out in the shop doing the next 4 coats.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2023 2:05 am     steel guitar

It's now been three weeks since I put the last coats of lacquer on. There are a total of 24 coats on this project... Starting next weekend i'll do the polishing process and then assembly can be started...Yeah Very Happy If anyone is wondering why the guitar body is sitting in it's frame, it just help keep it flat and square while it cures with all that lacquer on it. And it can be moved to keep it out of my way...LOL

thanks
wayne

Mike Preuss

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 8:20 am    

Looks great Wayne! Great attention to detail. Can we get a close-up pic too next time? I'd like to have a closer look at the laquer and get an idea for what the thickness of 24 coats looks like. Keep us posted.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2023 1:44 am     steel guitar

It's still unpolished until early next week as stuff Laughing AKA the wife needs help with her latest out west product adventure.(picture down below). Wink
Anyways I took a couple of pictures on where the pick up will sit, I am not sure you can see the thickness. The specs on the EM 6000 is that you spray a wet coat of 2-4 mil think to get a thin skin layer when cured. This is why it takes so many coats but please feel free to Google Emtech Em 6000 and there site will actually show a few pictures of acoustic guitars done with this lacquer. I love this stuff and it's so easy to use, and when your done and it's polished...it's like a deep mirror.

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2023 2:16 am     steel guitar

Were finally here. This is the start of the assembly stage. Here are the 1st pictures. These few pictures are of the guitar that has now been completely polished. Notice the rear skirt, I have chosen to not use the MSA aluminum rear retainer for the cross shafts and will be using shaft collars instead thus cleaning up and changing the look of the back end of the guitar. Also notice that I have removed the hole guides in the changer end plate as these I have found are not really needed as in most modern guitars.

stay tuned

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2023 10:03 am     steel guitar

OK hears round 2 Now including the gluing and flocking of the steel guitar. I should know tomorrow how it comes out, however it does look real good.

thanks

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2023 1:51 pm     steel guitar

OK here is the surprise build that went along with this Rare Wood steel guitar 2.0 The matching seat is finished, I think it turned out great and will be a welcome addition in my sound room. This is the only type 10 Outwest deluxe seat that will ever be built. We will however be introducing the new Type 11 to the public within the couple of months with some exciting new features.

One project done...next is to finish off the guitar.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2023 4:35 am     steel guitar

Well here is the rare wood steel guitar 2.0. The only thing left to do is polish a couple of knee levers and rod the guitar within the next couple of days, So it's basically done. I will however get a bottom picture after all that is completed as well. This guitar fought me every which way from Tuesday and I still think I got it to come out OK. The technology that I wanted to utilize in this built did not work out as I was not well versed in that same technology.So I just updated the last build to get the same but different guitar. Also since someone bought my 1st rare wood guitar,(which I did not really want to sell) LOL, I built this one to replace it.
I will also be building a 2 flight case system with wheels for this guitar, and I will add those pictures as well once it's completed.
Thanks for following my build folks.

Mike Preuss

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2023 7:26 pm    

If it sounds as good as it looks you are in for a real treat, that's a sweet guitar!

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2023 3:40 am     steel guitar

Here are a couple of pictures of the underneath I made and installed a 1/2 stop. I also acquired a couple of new carter reversing knee lever kits. I customized them and added them to the mix. I basically i wanted the 2 necks to have there own levers without worrying about strain or counter balancing etc. So is what I have done is run the E-9 with 4 levers and the C-6 with the original MSA placement RNR, RNL on the frame rail. You will also notice that I have removed the rail from down the middle of the guitar as there is no structural advantage for having this rail in place.
I will get some pictures after it's all set up and tuned in.

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2023 1:14 am     steel guitar

Thanks Mike, I can answer that statement now.It took a little of doing to work out the kinks and yes the guitar sounds absolutely wonderful. I have not had the time to sit down and (really) play it yet however that will come this week end. But what I have played I have noticed that there seams to be a good combination in the guitar, with ease of play ability and tone. The only way to explain it, is that it is very comfortable to play. Anyways folks here are the final pictures in this build. I did want to show the changer end that has been modified and updated with the guide holes taken out as they are not needed. With them gone I was able to use 1" sleeves instead of the original 1.75" ones and change out the tuning nuts to 5/8". Thanks for following this build.
Wayne

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2023 3:37 am    

Beautiful job Wayne a lot of work for an amazing outcome.

Barry

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2023 2:55 am     steel guitar

Thanks Barry
Well it's been some time now since the completion of this build. yes there are a couple of party bruises already but i'll have to live with that, Sad However the guitar sounds amazing. A while back fellow forum member John Lacey came by to get some work done and he had a chance to sit behind this guitar. LOL his first comment was that the guitar is so big, as these older MSA frames were a lot bigger than these new guitars. Then he made me proud... He made my steel sing (something i will never be able to do on his level) That rare wood steel sounded like heaven played by him. I will never forget that. So with this all said I will be building a 2 flight case system for this guitar and i will post it so you folks can follow that build as well.

Right now I am working on 2 Carter guitars that I own right now and with a little help from Michael Yahl I should have those finished soon. Then I will be starting a SD-10. Built in true Frankenstein fashion. If I can find all the parts i'll need
Thanks
Wayne Brown
c/o
Outwest Seats/Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2023 2:00 pm    

Gorgeous! Congratulations!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2023 4:07 pm     steel guitar

Thanks JD I appreciate that. As promised I will be showing the building of a 2 flight case system for this guitar as well. I will start posting that after i am done building our exciting new type 11 Steel seat. and more Wink A small spoiler alert the leg assemblies weight in at 378 grams/ .83lb each on the new seats. Stay tuned
thanks
Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Brown on 6 Sep 2023 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2023 4:22 am     Ultra Nice

Ultra Nice...
You are doing some really nice work with the laser and CNC. Whoa! Very Happy
I was wondering if that was paper backed veneer that bubbled up after spraying the lacquer?
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2023 4:35 am     steel guitar

Hi Andy it's nice to here from you again. Thank you for your kind words. This steel will be staying...It sounds fantastic. As for the matching seat well it sure is pretty...however it sure is pretty heavy as well Laughing It will be staying in the sound room. The veneer ...I am not as familiar with this stuff as you are. I don't know if it was paper backed or not. Here is a picture of the stuff i bought.

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2023 4:52 am     steel guitar

Now the new thread for this guitar is the Case
thanks
wayne

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2023 12:40 pm    

Wayne,
Good to see someone who loves the adventure of the work they're doing. It shows in your work. Like JD said "Gorgeous".

Greg

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2023 4:45 am    

Super nice job congrats!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2023 9:09 am     Re: steel guitar

Wayne Brown wrote:
Hi Andy it's nice to here from you again. Thank you for your kind words. This steel will be staying...It sounds fantastic. As for the matching seat well it sure is pretty...however it sure is pretty heavy as well Laughing It will be staying in the sound room. The veneer ...I am not as familiar with this stuff as you are. I don't know if it was paper backed or not. Here is a picture of the stuff i bought.

Thanks
Wayne

Hi Wayne,
Didn't see this before today.
I have never used paper backed veneer so can't say a useful thing about it.
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2023 2:56 am     steel guitar

Well Andy from my experience with it now. I didn't care for it. I like real wood more and as you can see in the later pictures I think it turned out very pretty and matches the guitar as well. However it is heavy. I think it weighs in about 22lbs but you have to remember it's solid maple. This seat was made for specifically for this guitar and will remain in my sound room.

I am in the middle of a new seat design/build (Type 11)
right now and they are nearing completion and will weight in at 16.5lbs. That should please a few backs out there.
thanks
wayne

Last edited by Wayne Brown on 15 Oct 2023 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total