The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  26” scale stringmaster D6??
Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 1:09 pm    

Did Fender make a 26” scale double 6 string Stringmaster? Just purchased some vintage stringmaster pickups for my D8 and they are too long to fit in the body cavities. Thanks

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 6:40 pm    

No, only 8 string. Is your Guitar a D8 or D6? Scale? The 26" scale guitars do have a shorter pickup.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 8:58 pm    

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have a 26” scale double neck stringmaster. I fell victim to trying to part this guitar back together by buying all the parts on EBay. I bought what was labeled as 50s stringmaster pickups, but they are too long to drop in. The eBay seller is adamant there are no other styles of pickups for stringmaster and I must have a D6 stringmaster. Even though the guitar was sold from his eBay store as a D8.
Nate

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 4:42 am    

The Mark I pickups with the chrome covers are smaller than the Mark II with plastic covers. Mark II pickups will not fit into a Mark I guitar.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 5:21 am    

Ok, I didnt know what the Mark I and Mark II was referring to. Is there any definitive info out there that I could send to the EBay seller to convince him that he doesn’t know everything? I’m hoping I can trade him back these pickups. Thanks for the info Nick!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 5:50 am    

Nathan Laudenbach wrote:
Is there any definitive info out there that I could send to the EBay seller to convince him that he doesn’t know everything?

I would suggest that you file a complaint with eBay. In my experience, 99.9% of the time the company will side with the buyer.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 6:23 am    

Thanks,
Unfortunately I didn’t know enough when I bought them to feel justified in filing a complaint. It was the messaging back and forth after I got the pickups that irritated me. Plus this ebay guy has other parts I will need to buy. It’s probably not possible, but I would love to have the last word so to speak, without pissing him off too bad. Oh well.

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 6:54 am    

Attached here is a picture of a side by side comparison of a rewound MKI (top in picture) and an original MKII, it’s a little hard to tell from the picture but you can see that the bottom pickup is longer. In addition to that, the width of the MKII is wider. A MKII will not fit inside an original metal pickup cover. You should take a ruler and measure your pickup cavity and compare it to the pickup and take a picture of it, that should be the only proof you need.

Last edited by Nick Fryer on 1 Apr 2023 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 7:33 am    

That flea-bayer in question has been psychopathically parting out perfectly good steel guitars for years so it doesn’t surprise me in the least that he is an asshole to deal with too.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 8:02 am    

I appreciate all the info Nick! Is it safe to say a 26” scale is a MK1 feature? I asked the seller if I could exchange the pickups for the right ones, which he sent me a link for after I sent him a picture of the pickup not fitting. It’s hard to communicate respectfully over the internet and not be mis interpreted. Still seems wrong that a person can run a successful business without being willing to work with the buyer when there is a problem. As long as the item is shipped promptly, that seems like the only responsibility of the eBay seller. I work at a brick and mortar music store and we CONSTANTLY take returns from customers for reasons we shouldn’t have to, but we do it to make the customer happy.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 9:39 am    

I asked the seller if i could return the pickups in exchange for the right ones and he agreed! Maybe I mis interpreted him as well. All good!