The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MULLEN G2 Owners please Chime in!
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 3:16 pm    

I'm curious about the 5 pedals on the single 10s, what do the extra two do? I guess one is probably the Franklin pedal, what about the other one?
Also, how much cabinet drop is there with the A+F change?

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 24 May 2017 4:08 pm     My 5 Pedal Mullen Tuning

Hi Tim,
I usually like 4 pedals, but ordered it with the 5th so I could experiment.
Right now mine is tuned like this, But I'm going to change it a little.

I really want to move pedal #5 to the #1 Position where I like it best.
That works well alone, but also works well with the 2nd pedal B to C#.
Also because I have now acquired a Promat D-10 with standard Emmons set up I will move the lowers for the E's to the left leg.
The only reason I have it on the right is because 40 years ago I started with a PSG that had just that and it was RKL so got used to there, Old dog new trick thing.
I've had the E to F# on RKR since 1978 and like it that way.
This is what I'm gonna change it to as soon as I have the time;

Quite a few steelers have started to use this Pedal #1 change, but some have it on a knee lever. I started using that change about 4 years ago. It has a lot to offer.
I've gotten used to using the E lower on LKR by playing the Promat. I think that change makes more sense unless there your playing a Universal tuning.
Pedals 3&4 gives A6th all the way across except for the 2nd string.
Pedals 4&5 together will give me the C6th style 4th pedal as well as a fake BooWah, Ha ha ha. But that could change over time because I doubt I'll use it a lot.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 2:46 pm    

Much as I love the way it looks, I love even more that it sounds so great.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 2:54 pm    

Andy, I have all three of those changes you want on your 1 pedal on my RKL. That's how my D10 Mullen that I used to have was set up, so that's how my current Williams D10 is set up, now.
I just got the 6 string lower pull train from Williams the other day and put it on and it worked perfect on the first try. I bet that'll never happen again. Laughing

I never did learn to use the C6 on that Mullen, so I took the pedal all the way to the right and made it a 4th string E to F# change on the E9 neck, I really liked that pedal a lot.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 4:50 pm     One issue with the Mullen for me.

Hi Tim,
Good idea if your not using those C6th pedals.
Also I think the the A to B first C6th pedal would also work just as well on a knee?
Not sure because I'm still trying to learn the C6th neck on my Promat.

One issue with the Mullen for me is the lack of room with the large pull rods and small retaining pins.
I tried to make a small change on it the other day, but with all those rods bunched up close together, I found it near impossible to get the rod into the bell crank and hold it there while trying to put the retaining pin in place. Gave up after a frustrating hour.
I think it needs to have a whole bunch of rods pulled out and then reset in order.

I do want to get those 3 pulls onto the first pedal where they work best for me.
Will try again another day after a valium.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 12:20 am    

Here is mine. 5 floor and 7 knees and still missing some changes
Laughing

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 12:46 am     Mullen S 12

Would some kind perso who owns a Mullen S12 measure your keyhead from end to end
Many thanks
Brian

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 7:16 am    

A few years back I ordered and received a D-10 G2. Love it! Easy playing with solid accurate stops and pulls. Only thing I changed was that I got the Mullen crew to build me a split case. Yea well worth it!

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 10:05 am    

Here's mine and Love it!

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 10:12 am    

Ordered my SD12 G2 7x4 April 2019 and it arrived the first week of July. Fresh from the factory it looked like this in blueberry strand mica:

Have made quite a few changes to make it the pedal steel of my dreams!

1) I wanted something more unique for a finish so removed everything from the top deck and did a custom orange vinyl wrap.

2) Swapped out the stock Mullen PU for a Bill Lawrence L712 adding a coil split toggle switch.

3) Trimmed down the arm rest so more of the vinyl wrap shows.

4) Added a left vertical knee with the Mullen kit.

5) Copedent is about 90% standard Emmons extended E9 with a couple twists. First, I downtune a whole step so play extended D9 (and let me give a huge amount of credit to b0b who guided me in choosing string gauges and recommending E meantone temperament to sweeten the tuning). Second, I split the E knees and use LKR to drop strings 3,6,11 a half step so I can get a minor chord in main grip root position.

6) Added two Mullen half stop mechanisms. One for the standard RKR string 2 change, and another I put on the 4th pedal. That one drops string 4 a half step to get a Maj7 and a whole step to get either the m7 (in combination with LKR) or dominant 7 chord in main grip root position.

I absolutely love this instrument! It stays in tune like a rock, is super easy to work on, Mike and the team at Mullen is always there when I need parts or have questions, I've been able to adjust it to the lightest touch I've ever had so playing is a joy and with the L712 coil split and Mullen tone control I can get a wide range of sounds out of it.

It's literally the last pedal steel I'll ever need Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 11:28 am     Mullen G2

I have a 2021 SD-10, 4&6. Plum Pearl mica.
The most efficient, smoothest guitar that I have ever played! I have a '92 Emmons single coil pickup wound to 18.4 on it presently. I really like the tone and sustain...

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 8:12 pm    

Andy D.... All chrome!!! Weren't you concerned about reflections from stage lights. Boy, I've had trouble with just the small four inch plate that my tone control is mounted in. It would blind me. I'll send a prayer up for you and your audience. You'll shoot your eye out-kid. Smile
P S- I've even had trouble with red and blue fret markers.
In certain lighting situations, they disappear. RP

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 4:39 am    

I had this guitar of Stu Schulman's at my house a couple of times. It was stunning.
I helped facilitate a sale to a local guy who was moving from a Carter Starter. Slight step up, ya think?
My experience with this guitar and with Stu's S-10 G2 has been that G2's are the best feeling, smoothest operating steels I have ever touched.

Tragically, after Stu's passing (not unrelated to his stroke from years ago), the owner of this guitar has suffered a stroke and is in hospice. I will be assisting his partner (as I did Stu's) when the time comes to deal with the steel.
Brutal.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 9:07 am    

Jon Light wrote:
I had this guitar of Stu Schulman's at my house a couple of times. It was stunning.

That's the most beautiful D10 I've ever seen Whoa!

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 10:25 am    

Dennis Montgomery wrote:

That's the most beautiful D10 I've ever seen :whoa:

That's pretty much what I said. There are classic looks like a black Emmons and a natural or tobacco Sho-Bud that make their own statement. And there's something like this. I've got mixed feelings about how I'd feel sitting behind it -- sort of like a pimp in his bling-mobile. Which could be neat but I don't know that it's me.
Hell, I'd take it for a spin.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 11:36 am    

Jon Light wrote:
Dennis Montgomery wrote:

That's the most beautiful D10 I've ever seen Whoa!

That's pretty much what I said. There are classic looks like a black Emmons and a natural or tobacco Sho-Bud that make their own statement. And there's something like this. I've got mixed feelings about how I'd feel sitting behind it -- sort of like a pimp in his bling-mobile. Which could be neat but I don't know that it's me.
Hell, I'd take it for a spin.

I don't play out, just record but if I sat behind that on a bandstand I'd feel this crazy amount of pressure to have to knock everyone out with my playing to justify owning this Laughing

It's truly a work of art!

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 12:07 pm    

That really is a work of art! Smile

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2023 5:44 pm     Mullen G2 Uni

Took delivery a year ago July. Debated going with the single coil, but I'm glad I did. I've had no noise problems.