The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My .011 String has a higher ring to it, after plucking it?
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 9:33 am    

Hey guys, looking for some information as to why, all of a sudden, my .001 G# string has begun ringing after I have plucked it. Sometimes the sound is so ear piercing, I have to reach over to it and dampening it and stop it. I am currently using a set of stainless steel type strings on my guitar and they are only a couple of months old. I don't even remember the name brand or where I ordered them from. I've been playing music, off & on for about 35 years now and have never heard this happen on any of my other types of stringed instrument(s). Currently, after reading an old post, posted by Bob, I am thinking it might just be time to change them out with a new set. Even with my Carter, Sho Bud, & Sierra steels, I never experience this, that string just up an broke on me. Guess that may be why I have never heard this before. Thanks, in advance for any information you may have, and I always appreciate the opportunity to pick the collective minds the worlds greatest bunch of folks, anywhere around. Very Happy

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 10:34 am    

Sounds like your string is just worn out...has a flat spot somewhere and otherwise lost it's integrity....Could be bad to start with. It can happen even if the string is not that old. This results in a zinging effect that's annoying and a lot like the effect you describe.

Yeah, change it out. A lot of times 3rd strings don't last long enough to start zinging and I like to leave a good one on there if I can, but you just have to change it and hope you get a good one.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 29 Mar 2023 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 10:39 am    

Yes when a string gets constantly pulled over the rounded part of the changer finger to pull it sharp. That area of the string gets stretched more so and that actually thins the string out more and more the longer it goes...so the string texture breaks down at that point and it will eventually break and the "Whinning" part tells you it is about to break.
I use .012 and holds its tone longer especially a more quality metal that the best string makers use> "Jagwire""D'Adarrio" and a few more I won't name.
Also; the string could be wiggling The Roller at keyhead area; and that will make the string wine....just drop a bead of 3&1 oil on the roller and it will run down each side of roller and quiet the whinnnnnning...ha..
(I have 4 more scenarios that fix that prob. but they are my secrets...ha....ha....LOL yes I can be bought)
Ricky

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 29 Mar 2023 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 10:41 am    

Good points made by Ricky. Oiling will sometimes help that condition if the string is fairly recent.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 10:57 am    

The unit has been lightly, very lightly oiled, a little while back. Glad Ricky brought up the point about .012 strings. I have read just a tiny amount about .011 & .012 stings but stayed with the .011 string set, when I got these.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 2:16 pm    

Make sure any spring connected to the string isn't vibrating, or any spring for that matter..sympathetic vibration can be fairly powerful.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 5:02 pm    

Great point Jeff P. Those are some of the other : buzzing/whining/vibrating culprits of dilemma that can be heard through anything touching that particular finger DOWN THE LINE.....yeeehaaaa.
Ricky

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 8:27 pm    

What make of guitar was the problem string on?

What kind of Changer Fingers does the guitar have?

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 11:02 pm    

It was made by Mr. Simmons and has been a wonderful guitar. Don't know about the changers but it is standard Emmons set-up, and not Day. I've had not issues with it until just the last couple of nights.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 9:03 pm    

As a string is bent over the Changer Finger, The string will "Work Harden and change the string's structure", From bending in that small area. The string will harden and lift up off the finger. Then the strange sounds starts to appear.

Next the string may break at any time.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 9:04 am    

Funny story here about the .011 string. About 25 years ago, I was playing with the choir, of the local church we attended the when a close friend sidled right up next to me, the changer side of Carter Start I had at the time. I politely asked him to kind of step away from it, just in case one of the strings decided to turn loose. Well he said okay, and never moved, just kept right on standing there and singing. Well, it wasn't a Hot Redneck Rivera Second later, my #.011 string turned loose and as providence would have it, it turned loose on the turning key side. He jumped, screamed, hollered, and danced a bit before we could pull 3 to 4 inches of my #.011 string out of his left butt cheek. He also had to have a bandage to cover his wound and stop the bleeding and he always, from then on, gave my steel a wide birth.

Just thought I would throw this out there. Thanks guys for all your help.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 1:26 pm    

He sounds like a real pain in the butt, even before the string broke. Laughing
Erv

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 1:52 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
He sounds like a real pain in the butt, even before the string broke. Laughing
Erv
Oops, I didn't read it right. But not really, he was a good guy, just slightly hard headed but certainly soft butted.

Last edited by Johnny Baker on 31 Mar 2023 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 5:35 pm    

I was setting close to the right side of our singer/guitar player when my 3rd broke at the changer. It snapped over and hit him on the lip. We had opposite polarity and it burned his lip.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2023 1:23 am    

clean the roller nut, clean and polish the top of the changer bridge and CHANGE THE STRING !

Strings 3 + 5 , especially 3, are being taxed way beyond their usefulness.

Don't fix the transmission, replace the gear shift knob ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2023 6:21 am    

It's not really any different on most any stringed instrument. There is always one string that has the most tension and for steel & regular guitar, it is always the #3 string(s) that carries out that life sentence. Not sure why that is but, as in the wise words of an old sage: It is what it is.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2023 9:25 am    

Johnny,
I would also try a .012 string, better tone. Very Happy
Erv

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2023 1:41 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Johnny,
I would also try a .012 string, better tone. Very Happy
Erv
Will keep that in mind, the next time I order a set. I decided on going back to #.011, for now. Thanks so much.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2023 1:06 am    

Johnny, while I'm just a player in the middle of the pack here, I change 3+5 very often, maybe every 2 weeks, especially when gigging. If I am "tracking" in studio I change them a day before the session. Some will argue that its not necessary, maybe they are right ! But the reference for string life , tone and strange noises resets every couple of weeks. PLUS I haven't broke a string on a gig in well over a decade.

Just like the 6 string electrics, we can hear the strings begging to be changed !

Our Pedal Steels are great unique Instruments, but they will tell us when things are not quite right. They are "playing" us ! Very Happy

While we of course are always "learning" to improve our playing, we should also learn what our instruments are telling us, because they are talking to us.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2023 6:39 pm    

I hear ya Tony. This rig, is the very first one that has bother to talk to me, if you will, like this one is. Never before had one do this, so it surprised me, and the couple of fellows that I play with. It was like: Hey, what's that sound? Yeah, I'm not sure, never heard it before. So after a little experimenting, I find it's my #.011 string, not another one has also started doing it. LOL. My new strings will be here in a couple more days, I can't wait. Here, where I live, along the gulf coast of Florida-Homa, especially since Hurricane Michael, we don't much of anything that keeps quality steel guitar strings. Oh, you can get the old Black Diamond singles and such but it's a very rare thing to find a beginners selection here so it usually has to be ordered. I can get all the bass, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and banjo strings I want til my head practically explodes but steel guitar is a rare beast, even though there are several hundred players, locally. Heck one of em is a very widely known TV & radio personality that does the Po Folks commercials, and the other is a big time, for our area, that is, politician/city commissioner that used to play for the Ocean Opry on the beach. Any who, I'll quit bending ya ear and get back to it. Thanks for the posts, all of you, it's much appreciated.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2023 9:39 pm    

When I sat down at my guitar yesterday, I start by shoving ABC pedals and Lowering and Raising Es to normalize them to check the tuning. The dang Gremlin was trying to sing harmony with the 3rd and 4th strings.

I looked at my spare set I carry in my seat, I write string change date on. There was the reason, Change date Feb. 24, 2023. 42 days, And to my ears Strings 3 and 4 had failed. I put a new set of string on last night, It sounded great tonight when I sat down.

Before COVID I played in a House Band every Friday night sometimes for 4 hours and a 1 1/2 hour show one Saturday night a month, I changed strings every 4 shows to keep strings 3 & 4 from going strange on stage.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2023 6:47 am    

I hear ya. Mine? Some days are diamond, and some days are just normal. My strings finally came in but now, I just do not have the time to change them as I want to do some light maintenance to my changer & tuner system, while it's down, and not be in any rush to get it done. I want to blow out the changer, wipe the overall dust down, and lightly lubricate the moving parts, before I install any new strings.