The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams Pedal Steel Guitar
William Clark

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 1:57 pm    

I'm hoping to purchase a new Williams left-handed S10 wide body Pedal Steel in the near future. Does anyone on the forum currently have a Williams and have information you would like to share? This will be my first pedal guitar purchase.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 2:12 pm    

I have a Williams SD10, A Williams D12 and a Williams D10 on order. Wonderful sounding instruments and great support from Bill Rudolph.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 2:34 pm    

I've got a new SD10 on order with 4 floors and 5 knees. I can't wait for it to get here! It's been a little over ten months now, but the wait will be worth it! As soon as it lands, I will put up pictures.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 4:36 pm    

I have only one Williams but I love it! When I wanted parts to tinker with the knee setup they arrived promptly and without fuss. A great firm to deal with.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 5:44 pm    

Well engineered instruments. Light and responsive. Really nice lacquer finishes.

Parts available rapidly, with great communication.

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 5:14 am    

I've owned a Williams D10 for several years and they're great guitars. Good tone with a 705 pickup and smooth action on the pedals and levers. Last week I called and asked about changing my copedent. They were happy to talk about it and I ordered a new rod which arrived quickly.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 7:22 am    

William, Here's a link to the FaceBook Williams page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259458119685

Ray McCulloch

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 7:56 am    

I have a Williams SD12 with Truetone pickup and I absolutely love it. Impeccable build quality, fit and finish is beautiful. Sounds kinda like my old sho-bud (but better). I havent owned a ton of steels but I cant imagine you could build one much better than this.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 10:32 am    

Still waiting for my SD-12 D13th. I pulled the trigger last June so who knows?

Bill is great at communication, though. He's never less than transparent. I'm just a bit impatient. Smile

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 10:41 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Still waiting for my SD-12 D13th. I pulled the trigger last June so who knows?

Bill is great at communication, though. He's never less than transparent. I'm just a bit impatient. Smile

Roger,
I placed my order last May and I got an email today that it should ship next week.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 10:45 am    

Thanks, Gary.

It's not an exact science, of course, because supply-chain problems are unpredictable. Going by your projection, maybe May for mine?

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 11:08 am    

I have two D-10's. I also had an S-10 that I sold because I couldn't get use to one neck. Bill really builds a great guitar. His customer support is top notch also. I have never had an issue that when I called he wasn't available.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 12:17 pm    

Don't own one presently, but I played a keyless 400 D10 for a few years. Build and quality good as it gets. I wanted a keyless and compact model. It was all I expected.

Pedal steel guitars all have different characteristics. Each individual may find different things they like or dislike over others. Things like ergonomics, placement of pedals and knees, feel and sound. All subjective. One doesn't know how it will suit until they sit behind it.

The company, the guitar and the build all top notch though.

William Clark

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 2:32 pm     Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the information on the Williams Pedal Steel Guitar. I'm new to this forum and I'm learning a lot. William

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 8:07 am    

I bought a new S12 700 about 3 years ago. I love everything about it except for one thing. The legs wobble at the adjustment joint. I have been meaning to call Bill about it and see if I can get them replaced.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 8:13 am    

Fred

How's your 12 string tuned?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 9:58 am    

https://youtu.be/fvYsnlirBAU

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 9:58 am    

https://youtu.be/vA4sSWgegHs

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 10:59 am    

Roger,
It’s Extended E9. Guess which pedals I rarely use….

Andy Brown

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 12:02 pm    

I just received my Williams keyless D10 8x7 today, and it plays like a dream! I've owned and played a variety of steels, and this one is a real winner in terms of playability and tone. I've also owned a Williams D10 8x8 (very similar to the blue one on their homepage), and also currently own a U12 8x5 setup for D13. You won't be disappointed - they're very well built, and Bill is great to work with. Not sure what current wait time is, but I placed my order on 4/5/22 and received my D10 today.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 1:34 pm     Williams

I only play at home and am not a real experienced player. I had an S-10 Williams for about 10 years that I have since sold. Like all the other comments it really was a nice guitar and I loved the clear coat finish and had nice tone w/ a BL 705 pickup. With all that being said to me it just did not fit me ergonomically, I'm average size at 5'-10" and about 180#s. It just felt like the length of the knee levers needed to be about at least 1" longer. They only came down to lap my knee about 1/2" and did not feel comfortable (but maybe I have short legs) Same as with the pedals it felt like my foot was right up against the pull rods, so that if the pedals were probably about an inch longer also it may of fit me better. I unfortunately did not have a chance to play one before I purchased it. When I sold the Williams, I bought a Mullen G2-S10 and again did not get to play one prior to buying it but fortunately it does fit me better and not having the issues mentioned but this is just me.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 6:43 am    

I received my Williams S8 5&5 keyless about a month ago......Bill& Tim knocked this custom build right out of the ballpark.....I had a Steeltronics Z8 pick up installed....

This sweet little monster plays smoothly & sounds great.....I am loving it......you can't go wrong with a Williams in every aspect.....

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 7:03 am    

This is making me crazy! I want mine now, if possible.

It's to be a keyless SD-12, tuned to D13th with 8+6.

I originally ordered a plain finish with wood inlay (curly maple) but then asked that it be finished in bright blue.

I can picture it but I'm eagerly awaiting the real thing.

(PS: I'm still playing with the setup!!! Bill has my chart that I submitted in early-February but I've already seen a couple of small changes I'd like. I'm told that my order form has been amended with "Call Roger before finally rodding the guitar"!!! Smile

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 8:58 am    

Mine just turned two in February 8+8.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 5:54 pm     My New Williams

After 10 months, it got here today! It was worth the wait time! I had an up-grade for the wooden necks, Pedal #1 is the FRANKLIN change, raise helper springs, pitch-return compensators, ATA flight case,Splitter rods on 5,6 and 10, inlaid WILLIAMS logo and pearl inlay strips. 4 floors and 5 knees. Bill Rudolph packed it and it arrived in GREAT shape.