The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro amplification idea
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 5:46 am    

I have been experimenting with making my own bobbins - winding pickups in a very low tech way. Finally I got around to winding a small floating pickup for my archtop guitar and it it got me thinking. There have seen a few threads about the problems of amplifying resonators and I think something like this may work. This pickup is very very low output and very microphonic. I could only get about 2500 winds of 40 gauge wire on the bobbin and the magnet is a 2 1/4" Neo. The pickup has 1.37k resistance. Strong magnet, big wire, few winds. It looks like a CC pickup.

I was using it with my new Quilter Superblock (amazing by the way) and pretty much have to crank the master volume all the way up and I don't get useable volume until the gain is about 8 then the volume goes up quick from there. At full gain I get a pretty nice vintage bluesy breakup, dialed back just a little and I get a nice clean with a VERY faithful acoustic sound and NO feedback problems at all. I feel like this pickup with a few more winds maybe exactly what I want for my archtop, and I think it may work for a dobro as well, but haven't tried it. Has anyone tried anything similar? I already hear the doubters chiming in. Oh Well I am unsure if anyone makes a pickup like this. It's weird, but I actually really like it. I think it may tame my clone Tweed Deluxe too, currently on loan, can't wait to get it back and try it out. I need to get me a Dobro!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 6:19 am    

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 6:21 am    

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 8:12 am    

I like the idea, Tim — a microphonic pickup may help with adding some natural resonance. Krivo pickups are built that way (according to their website).

Does the cat help reduce eddy currents and standing waves? I don’t think there’s room in my gig bag for one, though.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 11:49 am     Dobro PU

I was able to buy a DXR5 dobro PU from Bill Lawrence in St. Louis in the late 90’s, so far the best after trying several over the years Very Happy

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2023 5:39 am    

Peter Jacobs wrote:
I like the idea, Tim — a microphonic pickup may help with adding some natural resonance. Krivo pickups are built that way (according to their website).

Does the cat help reduce eddy currents and standing waves? I don’t think there’s room in my gig bag for one, though.

I never leave home without 2 or 3 cats Razz