The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speedy West 1964 - Video
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 8:51 am    

Speedy packs so many "lost art" techniques into this 1 minute clip. He's playing a Fender pedal steel, but in a very non-pedal style.

----> https://www.instagram.com/p/CqJaGQTAJcu/

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 10:15 am    

Awesome, thanks for posting this, Doug!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:10 pm    

Speedy is a great player and showman (doh). I've heard him on some straight country songs backing up a singer where he plays straight commercial sounding licks too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:28 pm    

Speedy west just oozes having fun while playing.watching him perform makes you feel good! He plays in tune despite all the movement. Amazing.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 6:02 pm    

Any idea of the tuning here?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 6:15 pm    

I had a chance to meet and chat with Speedy at Scotty's Convention in 1981. He was very outgoing and had some interesting stories. Unfortunately he was unable to play due to a stroke and major heart surgery he had undergone earlier that year. I don't think ever played after '81. Sad because he was only 57 when he had to retire.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 6:21 pm    

Jim, Here's some information on Speedy's tunings: https://b0b.com/wp/copedents/speedy-west/

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 6:21 pm    

To answer my own question.....likely these, posted by JD Sauser.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 8:41 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
To answer my own question.....likely these, posted by JD Sauser.

Speedy’s “swing tunig” often labled as an F#9th was really an E13th with the equivalent of a BE C6th 5th pedal depressed. The change was inverted because his first pedal steels rather raised than lowered. So, he held a pedal down to raise it the change out into E13th, which was his base “tuning”.
He later (setup chart above from Winnie Winston’s book) added a basic E9th and often played “Speedin’ West” on it as it lays out well on that E-tuning.

Nevertheless, it’s amazing to see him to do his “top of his career hits” LIVE.
Capitol records, put out his albums had a great lush yet electrifyng but refined sound, wether it was Gene Vincent, Wanda Jackson or Ole Blue Eyes… and Speedy. It must have been tough to play these to a crowd who might have heard them on records, in one take and un-edited and without Jimmy Bryant at his side.

Interesting too, how FEW have been able to copy him. Ray Monte got close few times, Mike Neer very close and without pedals, I believe to remeber Doug Beaumier here to do some too.

Speedy was my first hero, then Jerry Byrd.
While I have totally given up to play in their styles, I still never got tired of the two, while I have a hard time enjoying most E9th over more than a tune or two.
Yes it’s dated, maybe even moreso than some of JB’ post Hillbily and Country work. But he had that thing.
C6th is way too “dark” and “siff”-sounding for his style… E-tunings have that high pitched sweetness that one can also hear in some of Zane Beck’s tuning (E13th-“universal”).

Thank for posting the video, Doug!
… JD

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 5:38 pm    

Doug, where did you get the video..?? And curious as to the date..

Thanks...!!!

Joe Rogers

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 5:42 pm    

It's a clip from an old TV show, 1964, downloaded it from YouTube.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 6:41 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
It's a clip from an old TV show, 1964, downloaded it from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbbcyIJc5g

there are 5 or 6 more videos of this show on youtube.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 12:17 am    

Doug, I enquired about the date because I am the one who performed the DVD transfer from the original tapes and I didn't remember seeing a date on these videos.

Back in 1991 I worked with the LeGarde Twins for 3 months in Eureka Springs Arkansas. Some years later I purchased the very first Panasonic DVD recorder to archive my Cajun Accordion Instructional Videos, and Tom LeGarde asked me about transferring his videos to DVD. The show was called, "Country Style", and the video and audio quality were superb. I was absolutely floored when I saw the footage of Speedy. I instantly knew it had to be the best recorded footage showcasing his technique.

Tom and Ted were wanting to put the entire series of their shows available for sale, but not sure if they were able to do so. With Tom's permission, I edited all of Speedy's performances and compiled them for the brothers. I had seen that they were released on the website you posted above. I am assuming Tom and\or Ted gave the permission for this, since the YouTube site also lists other videos that I edited.

By the way, one of the episodes of their shows contains the best footage of Marty Robbins that anyone has likely ever seen. They performed El Paso and it is almost indistinguishable from the vinyl recording. It was amazing to watch Marty and his two background singers work a microphone. I will likely upload that to my YouTube account at some point this year.

Thanks,

Joe Rogers

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 6:45 am    

Joe, you did a great job of preserving those historic performances. The web site lists the Speedy performance as 1963-64. The Fender pedal steel he's playing is definitely early 1960s.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 10:59 pm    

Thanks Doug. At the time I compiled the performances in the late 90's, I knew it was not mine to share with the world until I had permission from the brothers. Ted passed away in 2018, and Tom passed away in 2021. I would have eventually shared them on Youtube myself had they not done so a few years back.

I really miss those two....they were a joy and a hoot to be around.... Very Happy

Also a shout to Jim and J.D. - Thanks so much for sharing the copedents...!!

Joe Rogers