The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tool to make square shaft end round?
LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 2:28 am    

[quote="Mike Farmer"]I was the one that made the tool at the bottom of the page. At the time I didn't want to spend a lot of money on ready made expense tools. I worked in a factory where I could get some ideas from tools that were there... The key that makes this tool work is the piece that is hollow,it is just big enough for a 5/16 square piece will just fit inside it..

Mike,
Thanks for posting. In my original post I mentioned that you were the one who posted on the old forum. I thought that was a great tool back then when I first saw it and with your explanation finally figured out how it worked.
LaVern

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 5:05 am    

This tool seems very well conceived. I am thinking of a tool that would combine a hollow mill with the tube to guide the shaft into the mill, so it could be used in a drill press. Maybe using telescoping tubing over the hollow mill and reducing it down to hold the guide. Just throwing out some ideas.

I have spent a lot of time dreaming up jigs, mostly for woodworking. Some were huge time sucks that never worked. I designed an accessory that bolts to my milling machine that is a pattern sander for guitar necks that works like magic, I also spent about a month building a duplicator attachment for my metal lathe that I could never get to work right. In that time I could have turned out tons of pieces by hand. Metalworking jigs take a bit more skill and tooling. Closer tolerances. Sometimes the crudest looking jigs work better than jigs that look like they came out of Tesla's laboratory.

Last edited by Tim Toberer on 17 Mar 2023 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 6:50 am    

[quote="Tim Toberer"]This tool seems very well conceived. I am thinking of a tool that would combine a hollow mill with the tube to guide the shaft into the mill, so it could be used in a drill press. Maybe using telescoping tubing over the hollow mill and reducing our down to hold the guide. Just throwing out some ideas.

No offense but that is exactly what this tool does. On a drill press you clamp the shaft vertically in a vise, You insert the shaft into the hollow end of the tool after chucking it up in a drill press or even a hand drill. The tool then rotates around the square shaft "Turning" the shaft down to the preset diameter. I'm not sure you could find any easier way than a self-centering 4 jaw chuck on a lathe and this tool would come in a close second. Just my opinion. When I used my small lathe to add some cross-shafts and pedals to my GFI I had a 4 jaw chuck, but jaw was individually adjusted. On a self centering 4 jaw chuck, clamp it down and away you go to needed length. But all that being said, there is always a better mouse trap to be made. Take care.
LaVern
P.S. On second thought even this tool would be faster than a self centering 4 jaw. Just clamp the shaft vertically into a drill press vise and bring the tool down to the needed length. A quick hit on a wire brush and you're done.
LJS

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 5:31 am    

LaVern Skarzenski wrote:

No offense but that is exactly what this tool does.

I was trying to suggest a way to incorporate the hollow mill talked about in the earlier part of the thread to make essentially the same tool. To me the most difficult part of the design that you are showing is the single point cutter. I like the simplicity of a single point cutter, but a hollow mill would probably do a cleaner job and wouldn't need a lot of adjusting. Incorporating a guide would combine the best part of both designs. Better mousetrap? As long as the mouse is dead who cares. I still like Sonny's idea.

Mike Farmer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 10:29 pm     Turning a Square shaft

I have seen people with a 3 jaw chuck use a short peace of copper tubing slit down the length that just fits around the square shaft... You can then tighten the chuck with the copper tubing around the square rod then turn it down. I would think it would work...