The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finished up
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 9:56 am    

Just for you Jack. Very Happy

I have one more, but it has been hanging from the rafters in the basement for the last 6 months. Every time I bring it up and put it on the guitar stand the foam rubber manages to eat it's way into the finish. It is a knock off of a 1956 Gibson Century Deluxe. I will wind up stipping off the paint and figure out what the next step will be.

The 6 in the picture are all tuned C6 and have a 22.5" scale. 3 are aluminum bodies and 3 are maple.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 1:21 pm     Anto Paint with Clear Coat?

Hi Bill,
An Anto Paint base with and 2 coats with a catalytic Clear Coat would hold up well.
At least thats what I'd do if I wanted a color that does not show the wood through it.
One thing to keep in mind is that Catalytic Clear Coat needs to be sprayed when the temperature is over 70º and best at 85º and up. At those temperatures the clear coat is good at self leveling.
Just my thinking,
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 1:27 pm    

Thanks Andy. I'm going to stip it and see how it looks when it gets down the bare wood. I might just dye it some shade of blue and put clear poly on it? That will be a future project to be sanded outside when the weather gets nice.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 1:59 pm     Gronertones

Thank you for honoring my request, Bill!

Sorry to hear about the finish issues with your blue Century; it is/was a looker, indeed!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 3:55 am    

I'm sure I can figure out something over the summer months to salvage this Century Deluxe. I have a lot of hours in it so far. Maybe the paint was old? It was half the price compared to the other Duplicolor cans on the shelf!