The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Maverick feedback issues
Chase Curtis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 7:31 pm    

Hi guys. I need help. I have a sho bud maverick and I know it isn’t great but it’s all I’ve had for a while and I’ve learned to play a lot with it. It’s all I have to use and my band is in the studio. It’s got this crazy feedback issue. I’ve isolated it and I know it’s the guitar itself. By passed the board and tried different cables. Even installed a used pickup that was tested before it was shipped to me. Also after I installed a ground wire from my knee lever to the output jack the feedback got better and stopped making a popping noise when I touched the strings It’s a loud almost buzz and if you aren’t playing the guitar it’s extremely noisy. Are there pickup alternatives I could try? Any advice?

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 8:03 pm    

"Crazy feedback" to me means intermittent loud squeals, which means broken wires in the pickup windings and nothing else. If instead you are only hearing a loud hum or buzz that is not feedback but ground noise, which could also be a bad pickup but could simply be bad wiring. If nothing is visibly wrong, i.e. no broken or incorrect wiring, a quick check with a voltmeter will tell you if the pickup is intact.

Measure at the jack, there should be between 9k and 15k ohms resistance between the tip and ring contacts, and zero ohms resistance between the grounded ring contact and the bridge and strings. The first measurement is the pickup winding resistance and the second verifies that the ground is intact.

If the pickup resistance is very high or very low it is likely toast, which is sadly not all that uncommon on very old ShoBuds, but replacements can be found. Forum member Nick Fryer among others may be able to rewind it for you or make you a new one.

If there is any resistance at all between the ring contact of the jack and the strings you have an open ground, which is the easier issue to hunt down and fix.

If both measurements are as they should be it is possible that the pickup is wired backwards, i.e. hot and ground reversed, but unless the guitar has been worked on at some time this is unlikely.

The recording studio will def reveal the lingering shortcomings of our gear 😎 good luck and keep us posted.

Chase Curtis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 8:17 pm     Will test with multimeter tomorrow

Thanks Dave! Will test this tomorrow when I bring my multimeter home tomorrow. Will update!

Chase Curtis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 5:22 pm    

Sorry for late reply. I tested across the tip and ring contacts and 21.3kohms from the ground contact wire (black) to tip and OL to the signal wire (white) to tip.
And from the grounded ring to the bridge was OL.
21.3 Kohms across the pickup.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 11:36 pm    

21.3k sounds high, suggesting a broken winding in the pickup. On an original Maverick I would expect a reading in the 12-15k range tops. That would require the amp to be turned up to hear the strings, which would produce a ground hum and, yes, crazy feedback at thevmoments when the winding made contact and momentarily closed the circuit, restoring full volume.

Now you know, and there are reliable folk at hand who can repair or replace it for you. Good luck going forward!