The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Deleted
Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 9:09 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Tommy Everette on 27 Mar 2023 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 9:14 am    

Forty bucks an hour to update a 28 year old steel to modern specs seems remarkably reasonable.

It would be interesting to hear Ford’s response to a similar request.

Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 9:18 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Tommy Everette on 27 Mar 2023 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Sam Werbalowsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 10:06 am    

Perhaps they can send you the keyhead and you can install it yourself. I was going to send them a whole guitar to replace the keyless unit, but they just had me send in the keyless unit for refurbishing and sent it back and I installed it myself.

You mentioned the tuners are a newer model - I'm not sure why it would be a manufacturer defect if the tuners are a new model that didn't exist when the guitar was made. Can you get the same tuners that were originally on the guitar?

Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 10:21 am    

Sam Werbalowsky wrote:
Perhaps they can send you the keyhead and you can install it yourself. I was going to send them a whole guitar to replace the keyless unit, but they just had me send in the keyless unit for refurbishing and sent it back and I installed it myself.

You mentioned the tuners are a newer model - I'm not sure why it would be a manufacturer defect if the tuners are a new model that didn't exist when the guitar was made. Can you get the same tuners that were originally on the guitar?

Grover 210c tuners aren't made the same now and even though GFI said they were Grovers, Grover said they didn't make them. So no one is accepting responsibility for the poor fitment.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 11:32 am    

To expect GFI or any builder to repair this issue under warranty isn’t reasonable. That steel has likely had many owners who’ve made countless adjustments and possibly installed non original parts. Add that to many years of wear and tear and possible neglect and I don’t see the issue. They’ve obviously been working all these years!

It’s not a manufacturing defect, which is what’s warranted. My GFI is a 1993 model and the 8th of only 10 built before improvements were made to the model you have. I previously had the 2nd one they built and the first keyless model built. I couldn’t imagine asking Bob to honor any problems under warranty with the years of wear and tear on any of my GFI’s. You won’t find better customer support than GFI gives on their equipment and the free advice. The problem isn’t a difficult fix but it may cost you a bit. If you choose them to do the work, $40 an hour is an unbelievably low rate. I will always have a GFI and Bob’s reputation is solid amongst our community. 🙂

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 4:48 pm    

David Higginbotham wrote:
My GFI is a 1993 model and the 8th of only 10 built before improvements were made to the model you have.

What changed did Gene make then? I think mine is older than that.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 6:11 pm    

Hi Ernest,
The first and second GFI D-10 pro models were built in November & December 1992. Prior to that Gene only built student models. Early 1993 they completed 4 more and then changed the designs. The first 6 models had serial numbers that were 1001 thru 1006 but they changed the sequence for accuracy of builds and started again with 0001. I have 0002 which makes it the 8th build. There are 6 steels with the same serial numbers, but the later numbers would’ve been Ultra models.

Which steel do you have and the serial number. I’ve looked for the one I sold (2nd pro black D-10 from November 1992) for years. The one I have now is the same only red mica.

There are some differences in the length of the body, no center post to stop cross shaft deflection, 4 hole bell cranks, open keyheads, etc. that makes them different from later models. Also the gold vein design on the metal was only on the first 10 models as it wears off with extended playing.

I’d sure like to see a pic and serial number of what you have. Here’s one of the emails I exchanged with Bob at GFI after I purchased the first keyless they built form another member. It was built in 1995.
Dave 🙂