The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Lee
David Hodan

Denton, Texas; USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 8:02 am    

Thank you b0b.
A lot of steel players were at the TSGA this weekend so you'll probably see a bunch of condolences today.

Absolute Best Wishes and Prayers for b0b's family and all close to him. A REAL legacy.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 10:03 am    

I had signed up as a SGF member sometime in 1998. I hadn't been a member long but was ALWAYS checking the forum and most likely spending too much time on it. One Sunday morning, I looked at it and the pages were loaded with naked women (and some men as I recall). I immediately posted and sent a message to b0b to let him know we had been invaded, inundated and "hacked" and he immediately apologized. It was at this time he had deleted much content and maybe felt my response to the hacker jeopardized the SGF so my info was deleted. It was sometime later maybe in 1999 that I again signed up as a "true" member Laughing We had a good laugh and thanked me for catching that and notifying him.
Shoshana, thank you for posting a touching brief history of your dad's life. May your family cherish fond memories til we meet again.

Shoshanah Marohn

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 12:30 pm     interview footage

Here is an interview my dad did once for a movie about BBSs.

https://archive.org/details/20030531-bbs-b0b/b0b+lee+Interview.avi

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2023 5:26 am     Re: Bobby Lee

Shoshanah Marohn wrote:
He hated sexism in any form. He was always calling people out for being sexist, all his life-

This tickles me no end. That, and getting the Judds booted off stage, righteously. There is so much to b0b. Thank you for writing this.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2023 7:14 am    

What a wonderful legacy that b0b left. It will go on forever and his name is synonymous with The Forum! Many Condolences and prayers for the Family.
May his name live on in infamy. RIP b0b

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2023 5:14 pm     Bob Lee

I am so sorry about Bob, I've been a member
of the Steel Guitar Forum for over 20 years.
Bob done a great job running this forum.
Prayers for all the familly!! RIP b0b !!❤️

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2023 8:30 pm     The inevitable end

I just cannot wrap my head around this, i thought he would live forever like a steel guitar icon banshee intellectual you name it.So now you are gone and my heart hurts and i wish i had known you better Peter.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 6:55 am    

You did good kid. Crying or Very sad

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 7:11 am    

For 25 years I've shared this board with b0b and the other members. I joined in 1998 as the #82.

I spent thousands of hours parsing the various threads, always paying special attention to b0b's conversations, as I assumed that he was the steel guitar god. Fortunately it was before companies monitored employee computer usage to the extent that they do today, or I might have been in trouble.

Everything that I know about steel guitar and most of what I know about music came from this forum and it's members. The enjoyment that I feel playing today is directly tied to what I learned here. There is no way that I, as a middle America, day job working guy without any other steel player friends, could have learned to play this instrument without b0b and his forum.

I truly thought b0b would live forever. It is with great joy that I remember b0b for what he created during his life, and I thank his family for allowing him the precious time to do what he loved.

I hope we all meet in the afterlife...

Bill

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 5:23 pm    

Thank you b0b for being a friend and for your support. For the last 20+ years I've scoured every aspect of your Steeler life, BBS information and steel learning posts. Thanks for the memories and rest in peace my friend. Sad

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Don Couchie

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 11:03 am    

Thank you Shoshanah, your father was wonderful person who was often the voice of reason in the forum. I learned to respect his intelegence and his opinion. Although we never met in person, I feel like I knew him personally. He will certainly be missed in our community. My kindest and most humble condolences.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 9:46 am    

Thank you for this. I am so thankful for b0b and the community he helped create. Rest in peace, Bobby Lee Quasar.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 7:05 pm     The Steel Guitar Forum

I am very sad to learn of b0b's passing...I can't put into words what the Forum has meant to me. I first learned of the Forum in Nov of 98. It caused me go buy a computer within a few days. First one I ever had. I joined the Forum in 1998. I should try to look up my number.

I have talked with people all over the world because of the forum and my love of Pedal Steel Guitar. In the latter part of my working years I managed to get a fairly decent job because I knew a little about a computer.

I have had quite a few friends join the forum over the years and they all enjoy it.

May he RIP.

George D. Sypert, Jr.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 8:24 am    

Absolutely beautiful tribute to Bob.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 3:54 am     Re: Bobby Lee

Shoshanah Marohn wrote:

* He added the last name "Quasar," because, "I go to the convention and say my name is 'Bobby Lee' and the Southern guys say, 'Bobby Lee what?' so I added 'Quasar,' because it's a kind of a stellar object, and I would like to think of myself that way. As a stellar object. And then I can give them another name when they ask at the convention."

That's the funniest story I've heard about b0b so far, Shoshanah. Laughing Beautifully written and moving tribute - well done!

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 11:05 am     Bob Lee

Thank you so much, Shoshanah, for all your heartfelt and wonderful words and tales of your dad, Bob Lee.

Many of us, including me have been around this forum for 20 years or more and have so appreciated b0b and how this forum was created and curated with a true love of music and community. I had a chance to meet him personally at a steel guitar convention in Mesa several years ago by the new Sierra booth!

My condolences sure go out to all of his close friends and family.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 4:28 am     b0b

Shoshanah,

I admire your comments and the special tribute to your Dad. You have honored him during and after his life on earth. Thank you for giving us the history [his-story] of Bob's life. A very interesting read, and I could feel the love from a daughter to her father as I read your post. I am thankful for the Steel Guitar Forum Bob began and maintained all of these years. May the Lord speak a peace to you which passes all understanding!

Tony Edwards
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 3:32 pm    

Thank you Shoshana for sharing Bob's background so openly...quite a man and nothing like what I expected! Very uplifting for me to read, and thanks for that, too.

Condolances, but lucky you to have him for your Dad!

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2023 2:28 pm     Bob Lee and me

I first met Bob with Harry Moore and the landing Party played a show in SF on Mission St just a few blocks over from Market. I was playing guitar and we went over to see Bob in his band. Harry ask Bob to come out to La Honda and play a few shows with us. I was learning to play steel and had a Lloyd Green Show Bud. We had a blast back in the day before cell phones and fast computers. Bob told us the story about a large woman who was dancing and lost control, fell on Bob's steel and broke it almost in half.. I think it was a single neck Show bud.. In my mind bob was family like only folks who play in bands together are..

Ronnie Parker

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 10:00 pm     My condolences..

My Condolences to you and your family. Very sorry to hear of Bobby’s passing . He was always kind and respectful to me anytime I spoke to him… My prayers go out to your family….

Robert McAuley

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2023 2:48 pm     Bobby Lee

Wow... Shoshana's remembrance of her father was just beautiful!

I'm a brand new member (this is my first post) and never knew Bobby Lee. I'm sorry to have missed his wit, wisdom, warmth, love, and all that everyone who knew him received. I saw the Grateful Dead at the Winterland in San Francisco in 1972 and I like to think that as I stood at the foot of the stage in front of Jerry Garcia, watching and listening, that perhaps Bobby Lee was standing right beside me... it's certainly possible I suppose.

Anyway, I have no doubt that the spirit Bobby Lee "Quasar" infused in this website will shine through and I'll receive at least a small part of what he meant to the rest of you that knew him (and maybe even find out why he spelled his name "bOb").

All you need is love, indeed!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2023 4:53 am    

I'm in tears. Beautiful words about your loving father Shoshana. So wonderful a man and a family that he raised in love. He used to talk about the Beatles and their influence on him and his music. Hearing that Sgt. Pepper's motivated him as a kid of 18 years to hitch to California is so very cool. Yes, that is what Bob was, COOL. He was a cool guy, a kind intellect who cared about others who shared his interests in music and steel guitar. We PM'd a few times, one time about his behind the scenes efforts to preserve Bobby Seymour's webpages after his passing. Don't know what became of that little side project of his.

Very sad for your and your family's loss of this wonderful man and your father. You were blessed to have him as a dad as you know and I hope that we keep seeing you and your postings on the Forum, as you seem to have an excellent grasp of what Bob would want to see going forward for this, his wonderful work of love for steel and the steel guitar community. Thank you so much for allowing us to learn so much more about your dad, really wonderful.