The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Easy, "quick change" tunings?
Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 4:49 pm    

I recently made the switch from a D-10 pedal to a D-8 non pedal and have been having a lot of fun. I've basically kept the tuning the same, C6 on the back and E13 up top (exactly like E9 but the A pedal became it's own string):

low to high:

F (4)
A (6)
C (1)
E (3)
G (5)
A (6)
C (1)
E (3)

B (5)
D (b7)
E (1)
F# (2)
G# (3)
B (5)
C# (6)
E (1)

On the E13, I've been messing with tuning the D and both E's down a 1/2 step each, which gives it a B6/9. The low 6 strings are the same intervals as the high 6 on in E, so it's pretty easy to transfer mentally as well.

B (1)
C# (2)
D# (3)
F# (5)
G# (6)
B (1)
C# (2)
D# (3)

On C6 the only change I ever make is a half step up on the A's to go to a C7 tuning.

I'm curious if anyone has a similar setup and like to retune strings sometimes? Or maybe some different tunings entirely they might use where they like to quickly shuffle a few strings for a new sound?

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 8:28 pm    

On the E13th neck, try (hi-to-lo) E C# B A F# D# C# B for a pretty closed voice B11th. The strum on the top 5 strings would have a very nice pentatonic sound.

A common mod on the C6th that you could try E C A F# E C A F# for a rootless D9th (or Amin6th).

I use a similar E13th as you, but since I never played pedal steel, I use a low G# instead of a middle E: E C# B G# F# D B G# (often called Vance Terry E13th, though Al Marcus said he was using it on a Vega D8 in 1938!).
For me, the middle E string interferes with the strum sound of the tuning, being a little dissonant, and I appreciate having a low G# for a some more bass and also for more minor chords on the low strings. When I need that middle E root i just quickly slide back two frets on the F# for it. Though of course always having it there and having the muscle
memory for it probably allows some speedy licks.

Anyway, sometimes I raise the C# to a D for a very different, more bluesy sound. Just one string change to get a straight E9th: E D B G# F# D B G#. This tuning is interesting because non-pedal E7th and E9th tunings usually don’t have the 7th voiced so high, and are more often in the middle.
Its actually similar to the old underrated F#9th non pedal tunings with the 7th on top such as:

E C# G# E A# F# (Dick McIntire 6)
E C# G# E C# A# F# (Dick Mcintire 7)
E C# G# E A# a# (Joaquin Murphey Re-entrant)
E C# G# E A# F# d# f# (Herb Remington, Speedy West Re-entrant F#13th)
F# E C# A# G# E C# A# (the E13th I use pitched up a step for comparison)

It has a very nice bluesy sound, I’ve been working up an arrangement of “Willow Weep for Me” in this tuning.

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 4:32 am    

Joe, thank you for the thoughtful reply. I spent some time last night with both of your suggestions, the Amin6th (easier for me to think of it like that) is absolutely beautiful, what a chord! It might be nice to try an A6 tuning all the time to quick shift down to that.

The B11 was pretty slick too, definitely a fun, bluesy sound and one I could see using for more rock style songs. I'll give it a go sometime with the low G# E13, I'd love a little more bass on that neck.

I appreciate having a little more freedom to completely change tuning without worry how it'll affect my levers and pedals. I fear I'm already jonesing for more necks, haha. Very excellent suggestions, thank you again.