The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TC Furlong Sesh 400 stomp box
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 12:17 pm    

Coming soon, stomp box to simulate PV Session 400 amp. Plug it into a power amp or effects out loop of your amp and off you go. $379 plus shipping and handling according to the web site. Coming onto the market March 20th.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 8:50 pm    

I played a demo unit at the TSGA Jamboree and ordered one the next morning. It really captures the character of a good Session 400 and fits on a pedalboard. Nicely done T.C.!

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 8:32 am     Sesh.400 Pedal

I’ve been trying a Sesh.400, and it’s a very useful piece of gear. It is a fully functional stand-alone preamp, going into a powered speaker cabinet. I feel it sounds beautiful, quiet, and eminently eq-able. I really like it.

Also, running into a combo amp guitar input, with the Sesh.400 gain set to roughly unity - same output level as input level, with in and output knobs set around 9:30 o’clock - its steel guitar-friendly eq worked to tweak the sound of a tube amp that doesn’t have just the right mid’s level.

Rob Segal

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 10:19 am    

Interesting stuff.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 5:26 am    

I ordered on while I was at the Dallas show, too. TC’s stuff is always exceptionally made and sound amazing.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 6:07 am    

Will it make this one...

...sound like this one?

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 9:05 am    

Smile …. my experience with it was in combination with a Sarno Classic tube preamp. That unit is a relative of the preamp stage of an AB763 circuit. In that setup it sounded like the Sarno Classic pre’, tubey and beautiful, but bigger, and with more easily dialed in mids …. and generally more eq range in bass, mid, and treble.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 10:29 am    

Rob Segal wrote:
Smile …. my experience with it was in combination with a Sarno Classic tube preamp. That unit is a relative of the preamp stage of an AB763 circuit. In that setup it sounded like the Sarno Classic pre’, tubey and beautiful, but bigger, and with more easily dialed in mids …. and generally more eq range in bass, mid, and treble.

Thanks, Rob. Perhaps the sesh 400 may be just the ticket for turning my old _assman-Amp into a serviceable steel amp. Awesome for guitar, crappy for bass, it leaves a lot to be desired for pedal steel.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 12:21 pm    

👀

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 12:35 pm    

Does anyone have the link to the website?
Thanks Dale

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 4:14 pm    

DALE WHITENER wrote:
Does anyone have the link to the website?
Thanks Dale

https://tcfurlongcustom.com/

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 4:19 pm    

Thanks so much !

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 12:43 am    

I’d reiterate that it is a functional steel guitar preamp on it’s own, 1lb in 9v pedal format.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 6:56 am    

Rob Segal wrote:
I’d reiterate that it is a functional steel guitar preamp on it’s own, 1lb in 9v pedal format.

If that is the case, what are the chances that the sesh 400 could be plugged into a powered speaker cabinet? I have the dubious distinction of possessing one of the strange Ovation K-6002 "Danny Partridge Special" bass amps from the late '60s or early '70s:

The head houses the preamp and controls, and the speaker cab houses the power amp and two 15" CTS speakers:

Would it be copacetic to plug a unit such as the sesh 400 into the input of the power amp? Could anything be potentially damaged on the sesh 400 by so-doing?

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 8:46 am    

I know from personal experience that it works well with a Furlong powered cabinet, Quilter TT202 combo amp used as a power amp, P2P Bad Dog combo amp at unity gain, and a Fender Tonematic Twin at unity gain.

I would however.discuss your question with TC.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2023 5:36 am    

Like I NEED another piece of gear for all my playing dates Winking but this does look pretty interesting so I'm watching for future comments.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 9:51 am    

Rob
when you run it in a Quilter 202 , do you run into main input or in the loop return ?
Thanks Dale

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 5:08 pm    

A 1 pound Sesh preamp with a 2 pound Ganz power amp and a neo 12 in a small cabinet would probably clock in under 25 pounds. Yummy.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 6:36 pm    

A 1 pound Sesh preamp with a 2 pound Ganz power amp and a neo 12 in a small cabinet would probably clock in under 25 pounds. Yummy.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 2:45 am    

A demo with sound clips would be very helpful

Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 1:33 pm    

Dale, you can run it either way. If you go into the effects loop return you’ve got sesh400 only. If into the main, or amp in input, you run it at unity gain (unless you want boost), and you’ve got a dual stage eq going.

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 3:45 pm    

Thanks Rob I appreciate it .
Dale

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 9:59 am    

Hi all, Thanks very much for the positive comments about the sesh.400 preamp and especially to Rob Segal. His help has been invaluable in the development of the new pedal. Great ears, great graphics, great player, great guy!, .

I'm planning on getting an announcement put together shortly with all of the details on the versatility of it. Stand by.

Jack, That Ovation is a beast. I am not familiar enough with the power amp section to know if there is voltage present at the power amp input. If there is, that would not be good. Also, if you are expecting the dual 15" CTS cab and power amp to sound like a Session 400 amp with a sesh.400, it probably won't. However it might sound good or it might not. I will say that you'd have a way better chance than with the Ovation bass preamp.

Also, regarding turning your Bassman into a serviceable bass amp: You have two 6L6s as output tubes in that amp. That's not the same as a high-powered solid state power amp. Some would say it's better. On a loud stage, with a loud drummer, and a Tele player who's not shy about stage volume, I'd say a Bassman might not have enough power. But for recording, bands with polite stage volume. I'd say it would be good. I have a number of Blackface Fender amps. If I turn channel one's tone controls to 1 and 1, it's pretty close to a powered speaker. Plus you get the tube harmonics (if that's important to you) You can also, as Rob mentioned, turn the Master and Sensitivity to 9:30 and it's pretty much a unity gain (not a preamp) and is an excellent guitar level tone control.

Dale, I too have a ToneBlock202 and I think it works best with the sesh.400 output plugged into the effects return. that way you bypass the tone controls but you still have the ToneBlock202's reverb. You can also go into the main input with the pedal; set to unity gain. I wasn't as jazzed about that configuration. You should have your sesh.400 any day now. Please let me know what you think.

HELLO to my friend in Scotland - Billy Murdoch! I'm working on some sound clips. I'm three deep on putting steel parts on some client's songs. I'm planning on using the sesh.400 as my recording interface. I did one and it sounded really good. I'd need my client's permission to post a clip. Stand by.

If anyone else has a question, I'm happy to share my experience to help folks to understand the product. PM me or go through the website www.tcfurlongcustom.com

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 6:32 pm    

Hi there T.C. -

Would a "hot set-up" be to combine this new product with a TC Furlong SPLIT?

Best regards
Ron

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 7:31 pm    

Hi Ron, Yes, a self-powered speaker like a SPLIT CB-12 or VB-12 would be a very nice compliment to a sesh.400. That’s what I use. As you know, I stopped building powered speakers a number of years back.
However, I designed the pedal to work well with just about any amplifier. As I mentioned before, you can use a power amp and speaker cab. I’ve had great results with a tube combo amp (some work better than others) I went to a rehearsal and the musical director had an amp for me - a Vox AC-15 reissue. He said it was loud and clean. Not true and not awesome. I made it through but it was too little power but with a sesh.400 in front of it, the tone was OK