The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Long Black Veil solo Ideas?
Matthew Murray

Rathdrum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 7:56 pm    

Hello, I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I will try to explain this. I am trying to figure out a pedal steel solo for Long Black Veil by Lefty Frizzell. I have the first half when it is shifting between E and A but I need something for when it suspend over the E and for the rest of the solo period. Which I decided to do over the main chorus. Now I should probably note that I have only been playing pedal steel for a few months now, and I am not very well versed in music theory and how it applies to pedal steel. But any help would be appreciated. So far I only have A&B pedals working.

Sample of what I have so far. I recorded this on my phone so audio quality is not the best.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZNMLcDKp8

David Dorwart

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 4:12 am    

Find the melody and figure out how to harmonize it would be my suggestion. That will keep you busy for a while

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 6:46 am     Long Black Vail

Jeff Newman might say, "Just Play the Melody". For a song this simple, I believe that would work and too much would not. JMO.

Here's something you might build on. I'll add to this as I have time.

Long Black Vail-J Cash ā€œCā€

Note:~=sustain. Listen to J. Cash earliest cut on this to get a feel for timing. Add to it and make it your own.
Verse
1___________________:_______________________:_____________________________________________
2___________________:_______________________:_____________________________________________
3___________________:_______________________:_____________________________________________
4___________________:_______________________:_____________________________________________
5___________________:_________3-3A__3A-3_____:_______3__3_____3__3A-3______________________
6______3B_3B____3B__:______3B___________3B__:__3-3B_______3__________3B__3B_____3B~______
7____3________3_____:_____3__________________:________________________________3___________
8__3________________:___3____________________:____________________________________________
9___________________:________________________:____________________________________________
10__________________:________________________:____________________________________________

1____________________:_______________________:___________________________________________
2____________________:_______________________:___________________________________________
3____________________:_______________________:___________________________________________
4____________________:_______________________:___________________________________________
5____________________:________3-3A__3A-3_____:_______3__3_____3__3A-3______________________
6______3B_3B____3B__:______3B___________3B__:__3-3B_______3__________3B__3B_____3B~______
7____3________3______:____3__________________:________________________________3___________
8__3_________________:__3____________________:____________________________________________
9____________________:_______________________:___________________________________________
10___________________:_______________________:___________________________________________

Chorus
1______________:__________________:______________:________________________________________
2______________:__________________:______________:________________________________________
3______________:__________________:______________:________________________________________
4______________:__________________:______________:________________________________________
7______________:__________3-3A~___:______________:__________3-3A-3-3A-3____________________
6______3B______:________3B_______:______3B______:________3B___________3B_________________
7____3____3____:______3__________:____3_____3____:______3_________________________________
8__3________3__:__3_3____________:__3_________3__:__3_3___________________________________
9______________:_________________:_______________:________________________________________
10_____________:_________________:_______________:________________________________________

1______________3_____:________________________:__________________________________________
2____________________:________________________:__________________________________________
3____________________:________________________:__________________________________________
4______3____3_____3__:________________________:_____1_1__________________________________
5__3-3A__3A__________:__3A-3_____________3-3A__:__1_____1___1_____________________________
6____________________:_______3B___3B_3B_______:__________1____3B~_______________________
7____________________:__________3______________:_________________________________________
8____________________:_________________________:_______________3~~_______________________
9____________________:_________________________:_________________________________________
10___________________:_________________________:_________________________________________

Last edited by Dick Sexton on 5 Mar 2023 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:19 am    

Tell us about your steel, and what tuning you're using. Is it a 6 or 8-string guitar?

Matthew Murray

Rathdrum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 8:54 am    

Thank you for the tab I will try that out when I get home tonight. As for the guitar it is nothing special it is a 74 Sho-Bud Maverick. It came to me in pieces I put it back together. I don't have the parts for the C pedal so I just chose to leave it off.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 10:04 am    

Matthew Murray wrote:
I don't have the parts for the C pedal so I just chose to leave it off.

Russ Pahl seems to do alright without a C pedal.

For inspiration, check out the steel in the late Daryle Singletary's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ilNbXtPIs

No solo, somewhat buried in the mix, but very tasteful backup. (The incomparable Mike Johnson, I believe.)

Same deal with John Anderson's version with Lloyd Green.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkwQOL1LDk

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 11:02 am     Long Black Vail-Break

This about the best break I could find for this song. It's played on dobro but I'll try to work it up for an E9th pedal steel using just pedals A & B. Unless one of these other great gentlemen beat me to it. Break starts @ 2:10 marker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkoge22WEQ

Matthew Murray

Rathdrum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 7:40 pm    

I just listened to all three and my favorite of the bunch is Daryle Singletary version. But I know I have an extremely long time before I get anywhere close to that. But I do thank you for the suggestions.

Matthew Murray

Rathdrum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 9:36 am    

I was doing a little research and I found a another version of Long Black Veil it was done by Hank Williams III and the gentleman on the lap steel did a great job with it. Thought I would put this one out there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=st64o7avaY8

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2023 11:00 pm    

Here is my favorite version...New Riders of the Purple Sage with Buddy Cage on steel.

https://youtu.be/ktb_szGChGk

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 7:56 am    

Matthew,
I have the complete song tabbed out for E9th.
Send me your mailing address and I will put it in the mail for you.
Erv Very Happy