The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NV 400 Mod
Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2023 3:31 pm    

I have a NV 400 listed in the for sale section. A prospective buyer asked if it had the Ken Fox mods. I didn't install them, but I have vague recollection the person I got this from may have done the mods. I'm not certain, however. If I take the amp head out of the case, is there a way for me to tell if the Fox mods have been installed?

Thanks,

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2023 5:34 pm    

If you can post pictures that are close and sharp enough to read the numbers on the chips, I'll bet someone here on the Forum will answer your question.

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2023 5:40 pm     Nv400

OK, here are a couple pics of the amp head. Can anyone tell me if these chips are the originals
or the mod versions?

Thanks,
Steve

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 6:08 am     Steve

I believe the original chip or at least early, were 4558s. The 2604s seem to be an upgrade or mod.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 7:00 am    

No. Not original. Ken uses BurrBrown chips. That appears to at least have the chips upgraded. When I sent my amp to Ken for his "intense mod", it came back with a little baggie of other parts he changed out. Can't tell if this was an intense mod. Mine has a sticker on the back of the chassis that Ken put on.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 8:34 am    

You could get the mod right from Peavey also.
Erv

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 9:06 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
You could get the mod right from Peavey also.

Yes, you could get a mod kit from Peavey, but it was not as good as the Fox mod or the "original" LeMay mod.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 11:55 am    

The Lemay and Peavey mods are identical except for one capacitor. Lemay mod changes one additional capacitor that adds more bass.

Credit forum member Blake Hawkins for tracking down and comparing the parts.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 2:25 pm    

I put in a call to Ken Fox, these we used in the old days and are not what Ken uses today.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 7:04 am     Chips

Picture of my full mod

For some years I used and sold the Burr Brown 2604 chips. Same chips were in the the older Peavey mod from the Peavey Parts Department

Peavey never installed the 2604 chips in any production amps

Later on I went to the OPA 2134 chip. I also used those on the full mod I did in my shop. I never sold the full mod kits

The amp above have just the chip change to 2604 chips. No other mods I can see

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 7:22 am    

Looking again at the amp above I see a 1 meg resistor with n the input circuit
The amp appears to have the aftermarket Peavey kit installed

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 9:01 am    

What exactly does the Peavey after market chip set do for you? Thanks.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 10:05 am     Chip Mod...

Johnny Baker... It is a very subtle change and not everyone likes it. If what you say is correct, "Best rig I've ever run and the sound is truly incredible", the mod may not be for you. I experienced a slight change in tone, for the better to my ear. My best change ever to my ears was swapping the original speaker out with an Eminence ESP-15C. After it got broken in, I believe the amp came alive at any volume. Also was easier on my back.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 1:26 pm    

I understand that and thank you. I know what you mean about being better on you back. NV 400 is deceptively heavy, for it's size, that's for sure.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 3:05 pm     Peavey Nashville Mod.

Hi folks,

I've just acquired a Nashville 4OO and checked with Peavey for their mod-kit (Part# 90500048). The amplifier is no longer in production and they do not have the update-mod as a kit, available, anymore.

Anyway, I called Peavey and spoke with Chris (Mike Brown retired 3 years ago) and he was able to scrape up most of the parts for that kit, including the 6 8-pin chips I have to replace. The charge is for the parts only, plus shipping. There is/are missing parts from what he was able to get: a .047uf capacitor. He found said capacitor available at Amazon, but you have to buy 6 at their price.

I said "is/are missing parts" because I don't know how long it is that they can hold out on what they have or if replacing the missing parts is in their future.

Another note: at this time of writing, I have contacted Bob Metzger, and at this time, he still has the reverb update kit available for the Nashville 4OO, and Ken Fox still has his op-amp chip update kits, too.

.......Pat

All at reasonable prices, call and check.

Last edited by Pat Chong on 13 Apr 2023 6:39 pm; edited 5 times in total

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 6:26 pm    

I'd love to be able to mod mine but unfortunately it's fried. I do have a local repair guy, who is good with amplifiers so, I may just take it to him and just get it back to original factory spec, if that's possible. fortunately for me though, I do Have A Nashville 1000 I'd forgotten about. It supposedly suffered water damage when Hurricane Michael struck our area and it was a little bit wet. I took it home, left it unplugged for nearly 3 to 6 months before turning it on. The MDF, used in the grille was gone but I built another and used the original screen and all. It has a deep rich sound that the 400 just doesn't have and on the plus side, it's a whole sight lighter as well. Me being close to 70 now, lighter is a winner. Take care all and thanks for all the input, on this thread.