The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cavalier Stringmaster 8 string pickups
Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 9:46 am    

The iconic Fender Stringmaster Steel Guitar pickup. The pickup design is 9000 turns of 42AWG over 8 AlNiCo V poles, light wax potting. Custom winds and builds at NO additional charge! No cover, cotton string wrapped, supplied with 6-32 machine screws or body mount wood screws and height tubing.

SPECIAL Steel Guitar Forum pricing is $70/Priority shipped - contact me directly: rob@cavalierpickups.com

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 6:37 pm    

Rob, do you know if the stock (old) Stringmaster covers will fit over your picks. A lot of modern SM PUs recreations don’t fit the old plastic covers.

I’m sure yours are fantastic.

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 2:33 am    

Tom Wolverton wrote:
Rob, do you know if the stock (old) Stringmaster covers will fit over your picks. A lot of modern SM PUs recreations don’t fit the old plastic covers.

I’m sure yours are fantastic.

Hi Tom,

I don't have access to any Stringmaster covers so I don't know if any will fit. From what I gather, those are plastic covers?

Anyhoo, unless there's a specific reason for a pickup cover (i.e. - the ground shield metal cover on a Tele neck pickup), covers are for aesthetic appeal only and since they could be a barrier for the coil to induce a signal into (Strats, etc), or blocking both the coil and rod magnets (Stringmasters, etc), a pickup that has its coil protected by tape or a string wrap (Tele bridge pickup), I'd rather leave a coil uncovered. The sole job of magnets in passive transducers is to magnetize the strings.

How'd ya like a Cavalier Stringmaster gratis to try out and report back on the cover fit? Smile

Cheers,
Rob.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 7:44 am    

Rob,
I might be interested in a pair for a Stringmaster project. Do you have a different pickup for the bridge and neck positions? I believe that one should be reverse wound from the other for a humbucking effect.

Tom,
A while back forum member Victor Wong offered some 3D printed Stringmaster pickup covers. He obliged me by making up a larger cover to fit the Seymour Duncan repro pickups. They are available on the Esty page referenced in this thread:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=337210&highlight=print+stringmaster

They worked well but, as he mentions, they're a bit flimsier that the original size in order to make them fit.

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 8:08 am    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
Rob,
I might be interested in a pair for a Stringmaster project. Do you have a different pickup for the bridge and neck positions? I believe that one should be reverse wound from the other for a humbucking effect.

Bill,

While I do offer a gaggle of "stock" pickup builds, I've always offered a vast array of customization for coil wire gauge, coil wire turn count (DCR), rod magnet types, as well as coil wire wind direction and top magnetic polarity. I speak daily with customers and work out the details for their pickup requirements based on the their instrument(s) and the type(s) of music they wish to create.

From my research, the Leo era Stringmaster pickups were built with vulcanized fiberboard flatware, AlNiCo V rod magnets, and about 9000 turns of 42AWG coil wire, with one bobbin wound and charged as RWRP.

As to Stringmaster covers, the only ones I've seen so far are ridiculously expensive and something I can personally do without as long as the coil wire is protected by a string or tape wrap. I don't like suppressing the coil or magnets with a layer of plastic.

Call me if you wish to pursue this further - www.CavalierPickups.com

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 5:54 pm    

Rob. Good point. I probably don’t need pickup covers. I’ll try running without them.

BTW the Tele & Esquire pickups you made me are great. And very low noise.