The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picking out melodies by ear
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 3:39 pm    

I'm doing something that I'm not sure I've heard anyone really endorse, but it must have some musical value:

A couple of years ago I bought a keyboard and got a jazz piano book. I do not know how to play piano! However in the first chapter, the author lists "must know" Jazz standards, accompanied by a few bars from the "signature riff" for ex: Blue Monk, Confirmation, etc. By the time I hit Bagg's Groove I wanted to learn more bars.

I set my keyboard to vibraphone, and using YouTube's slow down tool I eventually learned Milt's first solo. I can't play it to speed. Just 75% on a good day.

Then I worked on Miles Davis' version of the tune, setting the keyboard to muted trumpet. Now I'm working on Stan Getz Desafinato solo with my saxophone sound dialed in.

So anyway, you get the idea. The thing is, I'm not playing the original instruments, or even probably good piano technique. I'm simply into melody and single note choices on an electronic facimile. I might as well have my left hand tied behind my back.

I certainly have what I consider some really hip lines firmly entrenched in my head. Where this will go I don't know. At least I would hope it's good ear training. i.e. listen to a phrase, play it back.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 9:35 am    

Scott, this is one of the best ways to work. I have been doing it since I first picked a guitar around age 10. I do it still, but my vehicle is my voice. I try to sing it and when I want to really learn something, I'll grab a uke and find the chords and just play and sing it for a few days. When it comes to solos, I'd rather learn by ear than look at a transcription, unless it's either my own or someone else's if I am really stuck on a part.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 2:56 pm    

Thanks Mike, that helps! I know you know your stuff. I guess there's a reason a lot of methods stress singing a line first. I actually find myself doing that when I'm stuck on a (for me) more complex part, but I should incorporate it more just as another reinforcement and way to internalize even better.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 2:18 am    

What I like about the suggestion is that playing parts on a keyboard, you must think the sound--that is, play a vibes part like it's a vibraphone.

Any such endeavor directly applied to melody is a plus fr steel.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2023 8:40 pm    

I played keyboards by ear with just my right hand-I would listen to songs on the radio and at one time, my music teacher in middle school would mark the notes on a keyboard I was playing in music class, and I would play along with the other kids in the class, who would play recorders, and when we would finish playing several little songs, I would teach myself how to play songs I heard on the radio by ear. When I started playing steel, I would listen to several of my favorite country records and listen closely to steel parts first, then I would play along with whatever song was playing to see if I could handle playing the steel parts like I heard on those records or the radio. On dobro, it was the same process, and one night, while playing a jam session, the other musicians in the jam session were taking a break, and I got my dobro out and taught myself how to play the dobro intro to "Life's Highway" by Steve Wariner. I now play and sing "Life's Highway" at every jam session.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger